Got a line on a 1978 Catalina 30

Jul 29, 2006
-Catalina -2000 36' Pepin, WI
Black mold. Ouch. Your future sailing companion might not want to accompany you or sleep in the boat. There will be black mold between the fiberglass shells that are glued / screwed in to assemble hull with inner hull and deck of boat. You need to decide how much time you want to spend fixing vs sailing. We all make choices based on available time, money and skill set. Choose wisely on what you enjoy. Also think down the road, 5-10-15 years down the line: will I be able to sell it? Best of luck. FYI - on my fifth Catalina, including # 3 was 1987 Catalina 30. Sailed very nicely.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hi Kermit, I told you the story, sister-dearest has all the money and came by it in a questionable way, but don't get me started! All I have is debt! I promise you if I had money, I'd have the biggest, baddest sailboat on Lake Murray! As evidenced by the fact I am purchasing a 1977 Catalina 30 POS on Monday but it is so much better than my Pearson 30 and at least the engine runs!

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Thanks for everyone's input, support, discouragement etc.! I needed to know the good, the bad, and the ugly! After all this time, I am finally putting a deposit down tomorrow and I certainly could be making a bad decision or I could be making a great decision, time will tell! To be honest, I've spent a lot more and received a lot less! Let's hope that holds true in this case. Money Trapper may not be bad Kermit, no rush on the name though! I shall start a journal and list every dollar spent and see where I wind up. There's a 1988 model in the same yacht club for sale at $21,500 so I could do worse. We finally agreed on $2800 for her, a fool and his money are soon parted as they say!

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Thanks for everyone's thoughts and encouragement/discouragement! I need to know the upside and downside! So, just give it to me straight, I can take it. The way I figure it at 63 almost 64 I've only got a few good years left and they are not going to be spent rocking on the porch! With all that being said, nobody needs a money pit, for sure, but she's a beautifully designed and built boat. And given my current financial situation(I never recovered from 2008) this may be my only chance to own a Catalina 30. Consequently, I'm taking the plunge and while I may live to regret it, it goes to prove this old boy's still got some adventure(and maybe some foolishness) up his sleeve! BTW y'all, I'm still looking for a good name!
I got you beat. I was 73 when I resqued a mess. One foot of water indide the boat meant the engine was trash. Out it went including strut, fuel tank, wiring, engine panel, shaft and prop. 15 hp long shaft outboard dies the job. Shortened the counter to one sink and it really opened the interior. The interior was almost black. I used a cheap rain suit, mask, goggles and gloves to completely remove the mold and after removing all the shelf teak, I rolled on a new white interior. The top sides had been brush painted so I rolled new paint there. Stripped the bottom and repaired the damaged from removing the coral while at the mooring.
Broken quadrant and cable, and a split rudder had to be fixed. The mast was aloso broken at the spreaders.
Make sure you update the chain plates and bulkheads. I did much more. Call me a d maybe I can answer some questions you may have.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hi all, I am finally taking possession and moving the boat today around 6pm! The actual move is probably less than a mile by water so I expect it will be uneventful. This is my first diesel(5411) and as far as I know everything is original. Once I back out of the slip I expect to see a big smile on the face of the Previous Owner(his 2nd best day of boat ownership), then over to the new slip where the cleanup begins! Does anyone know where I can find wooden pegs to tape near the thru-hulls? There is much to do but I thought that may be a good start! I also want to service the engine, re-bed some deck hardware, install new teak handrails on the cabin-top, repair window leaks and so on! I also have a beautiful curved traveler to install(Thanks Tony)! Since I only have weekends to work on the boat, I expect my free time is gone!

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
The Catalina is a great boat. It was my dream boat back in 1981 when I would crew for a friend. Took my 6 week old daughter out for a race and packed her up in the v-birth. Didn't tell my wife for two years. Been in heaven since I finally got mine. Don't mind the work at all.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
What the heck is with that traveler? Who would think that is a good idea?

Someone needed to not drill and cut holes in their cabin top. Crazy.

Ehh, a bucket of water and bleach an she would be good as new.
I'm late to the party. I have to agree, that traveler is almost nonexistent, just a companionway obstruction. Some bleach and water will go a long way. Wear a respirator!
You have a lot of work ahead of you, best wishes.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Thanks Justin! I can't imagine that anyone really thought that traveler was a good idea! Anyway, I've got a great replacement and I will get it changed very soon! I'e got asthma so a respirator is required but thanks for the "attaboy"!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Have fun, been working on my Free 31' Hunter for almost two years now, and there are still many projects on the list, but the sailing is worth it.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Does anyone know where I can find wooden pegs to tape near the thru-hulls?
Jeeps' right.

But

WARNING HERETICAL ADVICE FOLLOWS

I bought a bag of bungs years ago. I never taped them to the thru hulls. I know where the bag is. I have had this boat for 18 years and haven't popped a thru hull yet. Knock wood.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, some will say "But, Stu, when others are on board, how will they know where they are to stop a dreaded leak?!?"

I singlehand most of the time, other times with crew, so I could say, "The bungs are in the back of the settee back just forward of the nav station."

How long could that take? The same amount of time that it would take me to go get them.

I'd be interested in hearing others who have had volcano spurts from their thru hulls. :)

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Thanks to all that took time to reply! The way I figure it, if someone takes even a minute of their time for a comment they've given you the best thing they can give! But I digress! The PO took the handrails off the cabin top(Lord only knows why). At least he did not throw them away. I have them and they are in good shape! I will sand and varnish them ASAP, then comes the reinstall! Does anyone know the screw length/size? And would butyl tape be best to wrap around them? Comments are appreciated because I don't want them to split or leak! Today I am just taking soap and water to the boat!