Got a line on a 1978 Catalina 30

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hi guys and girls! Y'all are all smarter than me so I am asking y'all what I should look hard at when looking at a 1978 Catalina 30? The hull was refinished in 2010 and a new main, CDI furler and 150 genoa installed in 2011! The owner also states that the Yanmar diesel burns oil and the deck hardware needs to be reseated. I'm going to inspect the boat Wednesday evening. I hope y'all can tell me what to look for in an old boat. I know to look at the chainplates and I know to look in the bilge and the mast compression etc. but I'm looking for your help!

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The real money is in the sails, the engine and hull integrity. It is expected that a 35+ years old engine might burn some oil but the question is how much. Find out what grade of oil he has been using and how much and how frequent he has to top it off.

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
An engine survey (with oil test) would be worth it if the rest of the boat checks out. Thump the deck looking for soft spots. If you don't know how to do that, find a friend or hire someone to look over the boat with you. Check the rigging and the sails. Look at the keel bolts (nuts). Is it mold free? Check with the internet for comparable prices. A Catalina 30 of that age should be pretty cheap. If it all checks out, do the surveys. At that point, check for a "Catalina Smile". If it has one, it;s really not that big a deal, but lower the price to make it worth while. In a bot of that age, up-keep is everything. If it's been taken care of, it could be a great buy. If it needs a lot of work to bring it back, you might be better off finding one that is in good shape. Good luck. I owned a Catalina 30 for about 10 years. In my opinion, they are great boats.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hi Gentlemen, thanks for taking the time to reply! I have a Catalina 22 in the carport now and I owned a Catalina 25 for over a year so I can attest to the fact they are good boats. Upkeep, like you say, is everything and I can barely wait to put my eyes on her. I know the guy that built the sails then he installed them with a new CDI furler. I'm sure that cost more than what the guy wants for the boat now. I have a friend that is pretty knowledgeable. he will look at it with me so I'll report back with what I find! I'm not afraid of a project but no one needs a money pit! But now you have my curiosity Scotty, what is a "Catalina Smile"? I'm unfamiliar with the term. Also, what do you consider cheap?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
google that year model boat and look at the pricing to get a handle on what the selling rate is take they high and low and all in between and do an average ....also note the prices with in 500 miles of your area

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Catalina smile is a crack at the top front of the keel. Usually not a deal killer and easy repair.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Thanks John! It's a shoal draft keel and not a TR so she will not be a racer. The new sails and the new CDI furler were installed in 2011 for $6200! That's more than twice what he wants for the boat now. He says he's older and not up to the challenge of repairing and sailing this boat now. For $3000 I may could pick up a decent boat and I'm sure there are lots of "projects" in my future if I do buy it. I've got two other boats I could sell to help offset the deal. We'll see..................

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
I do not think there is a Catalina smile issue with a shoal draft.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
That's good info, thanks John! Hopefully I can put my eyes on the boat tonight and can report back.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
i really don't want to rain on your parade, but over the years this sight has seen many who went to look at old boats and found old boats. lots of these folks wound up spending big bucks and almost never, if actually ever sailing. please, don't let your dreams blind you. lots can, and does, go wrong over a sailbosat's life. i've lost much hair since 1978.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Google Catalina 30 Compression Post Block. Look for cracks in the fiberglass around the base of the mast. Likely needs chainplates.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Just because the PO might have thrown good money after bad does not make it a good deal for you. It MIGHT, if you know what you are getting into. If YOU could look at the boat carefully and say 'Yes, I understand what is wrong and I personally know how to fix it' you could proceed, but then you'd know that, wouldn't you? The fact that you are asking strangers on the internet advice about a boat we've never seen is not a great plan. Who knows; it might all come out golden. Or it might end in tears. So. Really your call.

I always tell new sailors to buy the best boat they can. Not the worst.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hi guys, I have owned several boats over the years. I went to see this boat yesterday and my eyes have never seen such a mess. I've heard it said that you can tell a lot about a boat by the ways it smells inside. After four sinus surgeries I can't smell a thing so I'll have to rely on some one else for that. But what I found in my visual inspection was enough to make me happy with what I've got!

Thanks to all that took the time to chime in! To paraphrase Jackdaw, the fact I'm asking strangers about a boat I've never seen speaking volumes is good advice! I don't think I would take on this project even if the boat was free! I'll add photos later!

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
What the heck is with that traveler? Who would think that is a good idea?

Someone needed to not drill and cut holes in their cabin top. Crazy.

Ehh, a bucket of water and bleach an she would be good as new.

Last edited: