Gooseneck Repair

May 19, 2014
Catalina 30 Mk I San Francisco
Greetings! We've just got a '91 MkII after sailing an '81 Mk1 for 14 years and there's a bit of a problem here:

Yeah, not a good look, huh? I'm going to pull the SS plate from the track and pound the track back into shape, but I'm not going to leave it at that! A few years ago, we had two of the three bracket screws break during a race and after talking with another Cat 30 guy in our division, I'd like to do what he did after breaking the gooseneck off the mast of his Mk1 during a race:

Does this bracket look familiar to anyone, or should I start fabricating something?

Thanks!

John Tennyson
1991 MkII
Grinnin' Bear
San Francisco

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
BW,

I find Catalina Direct costs more $$.
Why not call my friend Lenny @ Catalina in Largo Florida. After all, they build boats here & have a great ship's store for parts.

May 19, 2014
Catalina 30 Mk I San Francisco
It does look like it-- and it's not a bad idea if that's a weak spot to graft on the bits from a Cat 34 or 36. It kind of looks like the C34 part was run through a bending brake to fit around the C-track. I'd really like to do it that way. I could still drill through the bracket to use the existing mounting plate, stabilize the track and attach the whole works more securely with the screws on the sides.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I agree with @The Shadow Knows
When I needed a new mast head I called Lenny and he overnighted one to me. Cost was less than CD, who told me they have them cast specifically for them. Lenny had a couple collecting dust on a shelf.
Now he may or may not know if a part from a C36 mast will fit a C30 mast but it’s worth asking him.
Be sure to let us know if the C36 one is a direct bolt on replacement.