Google Earth

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I was playing around with Google Earth today and found a feature that I did not know existed. I know that one can view in 3D, and one can do a tilt, but I did not know that one could do both and essentially move to almost surface level. With that in mind, I can now approach a harbor in a 3D view and see what I might see if I was really there.

Here is a screen capture of my marina on Camp Pendleton. I am not sure if this would work everywhere, like Catalina, but it is still cool. Note, this is rather accurate however since it is an old image, some of the boats are no longer there.

Marina.jpg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
IIRC, you can also link it to you track from your GPS and follow along where you've been. I never bothered, I'd already been there...

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Love Google Earth ! Have used it like Brian a few times to get the lay of the land .. I like the time function where ya can go back and look at what things have changed since hurricanes etc.. amazing

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Whenever I go places I am not familiar with, I will Google Earth it first just to see where I am going. It does help, but before there was Google Earth there was 'wait until you are there'. LOL