Good entry-level portable heater?

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
Hi! I am looking for a starter unit to heat my Catalina 30's cabin overnight before I drop $1000 on a bulkhead-mount heater. Are there any cheaper portable options out there? Propane, for example?

Thanks!
-P

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Yes, Mr Heater uses the small propane bottles.
Just be careful with lack of ventilation.

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
Yes, Mr Heater uses the small propane bottles.
Just be careful with lack of ventilation.
I was just looking at that one. Looks like a slam dunk, but I am wondering if my Marinco 3" solar vent mid-cabin will be enough to vent it.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
They have Mr. Heater Big Buddy and Little Buddy. They utilize a 1 lb. canister of propane and are clean burning and have a tip over switch and an oxygen depletion switch for safety. I know people that use them but none that trust the units to fall asleep with them on. They are usually used to heat the cabin up in the early evening and then turned off before retiring for the night. Problems with condensation are reported. Go ahead and google the specs and see if it is something that would work for you.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have one of the "Portable Buddy's" and I really like it. I don't sleep with it on, but It will quickly heat the cabin in the morning. Only problem is the condensation from burning the propane.. Heating in Louisiana is not a big challenge, but it has seen us through a few mornings on anchor at 28 ish degrees F.
http://www.mrheater.com/portable-buddy-heater.html

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I have a big buddy propane heater that I use to heat my shed shop. It is hooked up to an exterior bulk tank and has a exterior air intake install. It is an infrared heater, not a space heater. Read the instructions carefully, it is not designed to heat a closed space. It uses a lot of propane, and a lot of oxygen to operate. As Benny mentions burning propane produces lots of water vapor. People produce lots of water vapor, you can end up with condensation on any cold surface if you don't have lots of air movement and that means cold air. Bottom line: this propane heater is a spot heater that will warm an open space (tent, hunting shelter) but it is not appropriate for a closed up boat cabin.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Issue 101 (sept/oct-2016) of Small Craft Advisor has a very detailed and scientific review of several small beating options. The author even compared CO output as a function of BTUs and cost per heating efficiency
My take after reading the article is that the Mr Heater Portable Buddy is one of the better options but the author gives facts and not opinions. If you can find the article it is a good read

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Coleman catalytic heater works on propane green cans. Great starter. Those bulkhead things have very limited heating unless you have a fan above them. And unless they have a double flue, which most of them don't.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
clay flower pot upside down over the stove burnner and a 12 volt fan blowing over the top, not on the pot over the pot.

Feb 1, 2014
Watkins 27 North East, MD
I wound up trying a wall Mount (17x15x6") thermostatically controlled 10k but blue flame unit. Non vented, but plenty of air leaks left after a modicum of insulating ;). I am fairly sensitive to free hydrocarbon and did not get all head-achey at any time. Fired it on Nov 27 and ran it until Dec 11. Total of 40 pounds propane used. Off at night, but with pilot burning.
$99 for the heater, delivered and another $78 at Lowes for hose/s regulator, elbows and CO detector. Approx $28 for gas. It might NOT have been enough to get me thru the winter aboard as planned. Once funding and research is complete, I'll prollygo with a 12k + btu diesel heater.
I will leave this one in place till Spring and warm WX then pull it off the galley cabinet hatch and stow it ashore.

BTW, I have a pair of those Alladins at home. They do heat a lot, but not snuff to stay aboard in Winter. Also, boatbuddy has a Lil Buddy and a tank top sunflower unit. Half hour aboard and I go cross eyed and NAFTA bail. ' Nuff said? ;)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I have a Little Buddy on my boat. Only use it to warm the cabin and then turn it off. I do have a CO detector. I don't detect any ill affects like deltaten describes. My Origo stove, OTOH, makes my eyes water.

Not perfect for warming the cabin but it's super handy in the cockpit - makes cold weather* sailing much more pleasant.

I do not keep any propane below, or in any locker that can vent below. The stbd cockpit locker is where I keep the cans.

* Cold by socal standards - 40f/4c

Jan 7, 2017
beneteau 36 new london
get a Buddy, one smaller than you think you need

can plumb off existing propane supply rather than bring tanks below

AND a CO monitor / alarm, not optional!

small amount of fresh air exchange should be OK

it will add humidity

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
I'd go with the Espar diesel if you can duct the vents properly. i am thinking of installing one this year. i had the bulkhead propane feed thermostatic wall heater unit on the bulkhead of the last boat-- it was very pretty and cozy to look at , vented off the roof , had a little 12v fan for circulation . was $700 or so then aggravation and work to install and cut a hole in your coachroof for the charley noble -- but i w as not impressed with the amount of heat i got.