Registered users don't see ads

Golden Globe race - to qualify!

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by Jackdaw, Jun 6, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    9,656 posts, 2,707 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    My friend Nabil is one of the skippers in the 2018 Golden Globe Race. Like most of the boats, this spring has been a rush to get the boats ready and do all the qualifications. Most skippers left the 1000-mile documented solo sail (if they had not done one yet) to the end. Nabil is 3 days out on his, and found a dead spot in the ocean. 150 miles so far. Drifting at 0.7knts. He has to do the 1000nm, and then get to France for the mandatory skippers meeting on the 12th. Gonna be close!

GGR.jpg

2. agprice22

agprice22

Joined Aug 3, 2012
    2,188 posts, 449 likes
    Performance Cruising Telstar 28
    US Watkins Glen
    We will pray for some wind! I hope he makes it back in time.

3. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    9,656 posts, 2,707 likes
    It’s wild. He has no weather service access, so he’s blind to the wind all around him, or when it might hit him.

4. danstanford

danstanford

Joined Aug 2, 2010
    263 posts, 39 likes
    Beneteau 323
    CA Cobourg
    I can only imagine the frustration at being so powerless amidst the need to succeed. Kind of like being a tax advocate among today's politicians!

jssailem likes this.
  5. Scott T-Bird

Scott T-Bird

Joined Oct 26, 2008
    3,571 posts, 635 likes
    Starwind 27
    US Barnegat, NJ
    Weird analogy ... I'm afraid I missed it! Dare we get an explanation? :confused::confused::confused:

6. capta

capta

Joined Jun 4, 2009
    2,807 posts, 887 likes
    Pearson 530
    na Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
    Twice in my life I have whistled for the wind. Twice I have gotten a full gale in response. In his case it might be time to take the chance!

7. Brian D

Brian D Moderator

Joined Feb 17, 2006
    4,198 posts, 819 likes
    Lancer 27PS
    US MCB Camp Pendleton, Ca KF6BL
    He has not weather service because of choice? or because of rules?

8. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    9,656 posts, 2,707 likes
    Rules!

The GGR2018 is being run to mirror the technology and conditions of the original race. Older boats, and no GPS, no weather service, and no comms.

The have a locked-up GPS on board, but if they use it they are DSQ
    The have a sat phone on board, but if they use it for any reason besides their weekly check-in they DSQ.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  9. danstanford

danstanford

Joined Aug 2, 2010
    263 posts, 39 likes
    Beneteau 323
    CA Cobourg
    Scott, I admit it wasn't a well thought out analogy but it does represent how I am feeling. We know that we are spending way more than we are receiving in taxes and borrowing to make up the difference. With kids and grandkids going to have to pay the interest cost AND the accumulated debt, I believe action needs to be taken. So....here I sit becalmed and seemingly without influence as all around me the winds of reckless spending to buy votes carries on.
    Does that work? Today is provincial election day in Ontario and all three major parties have tripped all over themselves telling us how much more we will get if we vote for them with no explanation of how we can pay for it beyond wild claims about economic growth. Just frustrated I guess.

Scott T-Bird likes this.
  10. Head Sail

Head Sail

Joined Nov 13, 2013
    413 posts, 121 likes
    Catalina 34
    US Tacoma
    Don't worry, the Canadian gov't like the US has one ability you and I don't have...they can print money!

11. Scott T-Bird

Scott T-Bird

Joined Oct 26, 2008
    3,571 posts, 635 likes
    Starwind 27
    US Barnegat, NJ
    Perfectly! Now I get it … I had to look up "tax advocate" and it seems that the term has some use to describe services that work to advocate for somebody who is at odds with the IRS. That's where I got a little lost. But, now I like your analogy!

12. Brian D

Brian D Moderator

Joined Feb 17, 2006
    4,198 posts, 819 likes
    Lancer 27PS
    US MCB Camp Pendleton, Ca KF6BL
    Wow, strict rules.

13. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    9,656 posts, 2,707 likes
    Was Sir Robin Knox-Johnson's idea. We wanted a race sailing the way he and Moitessier sailed it!

agprice22 and Brian D like this.
  14. Gunni

Gunni

Joined Mar 16, 2010
    5,573 posts, 1,269 likes
    Beneteau 411 Oceanis
    US Annapolis
    I wouldn't go out of sight of land without at least 3 GPS devices. Well maybe I would leave 1 at the dock and feel like a wildman sailing with only 2 GPS devices!

When we were taking the Safety at Sea seminar a number of years ago I sat in a break-out with an old WWII Submariner and the moderator asked the retired CMDR how they navigated. He told us that he was the officer in charge of taking sights and was trained on the sextant. The old Corinthian said he hasn't picked up a sextant since he left the service, and had 3 GPS devices aboard his boat. Much easier he said. We had a good laugh.

agprice22 likes this.
  15. John Tubb

John Tubb

Joined Feb 14, 2017
    902 posts, 230 likes
    O'Day 25
    US Guntersville, AL
    His current tracker says he has 2.9 knots! That Istvan Koper did a quick crossing from the US!

16. thinwater

thinwater

Joined Mar 26, 2011
    2,134 posts, 465 likes
    Corsair F-24 MK I
    US Deale, MD
    When I started cruising I had a VHF. GPS had not been invented and the rest I couldn't afford.

I don't think the lack of instruments would bother me much, but the lack of human interaction could mess you up for life. Read "A Voyage for Madmen;" nearly 1/3 of the race entrants the first time went nuts. I'm just not feeling it.

jviss likes this.
  17. thinwater

thinwater

Joined Mar 26, 2011
    2,134 posts, 465 likes
    Corsair F-24 MK I
    US Deale, MD

18. capta

capta

Joined Jun 4, 2009
    2,807 posts, 887 likes
    Pearson 530
    na Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
    You must be a young 'un. lol
    When I started playing this game, we had AM marine radios, VHF had not been invented, or wasn't available to yachts then. When the CG switched us all over to VHF it was to limit the range of the signals to 'line of sight'. With the AM set, when the propagation was right, one could call a Mayday in Frisco and ten CG stations in SoCal would answer, screwing up your comms with the local coasties.
    Of course, as always happens, the coasties built higher antennas and more powerful radios, and the same thing can happen these days. Go figure?
    I knew Moitessier pretty well. Our families spent 8 months or so cruising and hanging out together, from Tahiti to the Bay of Islands, NZ. I thought him extremely sane, possibly the sanest person I've ever met. Do remember though; he WAS a Frenchman. He certainly had the ability be alone if it pleased him, though not a need it seemed. For most of our time together I hadn't a clue that he was a world renowned sailor, until a friend in NZ gave me his book. His attitude to his fame? Hands raised palms upward with a shrug, "Big deal".

Will Gilmore, jviss, Jackdaw and 2 others like this.
  19. heritage

heritage

Joined Apr 22, 2011
    491 posts, 75 likes
    Hunter 27
    US Cherry Point MCAS
    Wasn't Moitessier the famous sailor and author that didn't finish the race, instead kept on sailing?

Will Gilmore likes this.
  20. shemandr

shemandr

Joined Jan 1, 2006
    3,739 posts, 722 likes
    Marblehead Skiff 14'
    US Greenport, NY

capta likes this.
  21. FDL S2

FDL S2

Joined Jun 29, 2014
    227 posts, 88 likes
    S2 7.3
    US Fond du Lac
    Yes, if he had continued on instead of going to Tahiti, he would have been one of two finishers on the first Golden Globe race.

Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!