going slower downwind

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charlie Allen

We have had just one season with the 1995 36mkII that we bought last year and so I haven't exhausted the possibilities in tweaking the sails. However, the boat really loves to sails hard up into the wind and goes fastest just below the highest point of sail. (It does sail beautifully there, well balanced with almost no need to touch the wheel.) That surprises me. I would expect that the boat would gain speed as you fall off to a reach, particularly in modest winds. All of my prior sailing experience goes back to when I was a kid, so maybe I just have the wrong expectations. Alternatively, I am not triming the sails effectively or the 36MKII just has a peculiar fondness for sailing up high. I would be very interested in the charectoristics others have found in the 36. Thanks, Charlie

R

Rick

Apparent Wind

Yeppers...Charlie... The Cat 36's do point nicely upwind. I think what you are finding is result of apparent wind. The boat is seeing a higher wind speed as you sail closer. Not to worry I think thats typical for most boats. Best Winds Rick S/V Illusion

Status
Not open for further replies.