GO Fund Me... the modern way to beg.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Florida state waters. Where is law enforcement? A citation and notice to remedy might give them a kick in the pants.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Now your talking Gunni. Citation, No remediation, Seizure of "GoFundMe" Scam account.

Officer Krupke it all started out so innocently.:redface: We were going to clean up our mess, but then we saw how easy it was to dupe people to send us money that we just decided to keep the money.:rolleyes:

We are not Bernie Madoff's.:yikes: It is just a few donated dollars.

There is no need to involve the Florida Attorney General. This is just a misdemeanor. No Harm No Foul.:pray:
No sir it does not fall under the Florida under:
817.034 Florida Communications Fraud Act.—
(1) LEGISLATIVE INTENT.—
(a) The Legislature recognizes that schemes to defraud have proliferated in the United States in recent years and that many operators of schemes to defraud use communications technology to solicit victims and thereby conceal their identities and overcome a victim’s normal resistance to sales pressure by delivering a personalized sales message.
(b) It is the intent of the Legislature to prevent the use of communications technology in furtherance of schemes to defraud by consolidating former statutes concerning schemes to defraud and organized fraud to permit prosecution of these crimes utilizing the legal precedent available under federal mail and wire fraud statutes.

3. Services.
(d) “Scheme to defraud” means a systematic, ongoing course of conduct with intent to defraud one or more persons, or with intent to obtain property from one or more persons by false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises or willful misrepresentations of a future act.

1. If the value of property obtained or endeavored to be obtained by the communication is valued at $300 or more, the violator is guilty of a third degree felony, punishable as set forth in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
Please please Officer Krupke...

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Florida state waters. Where is law enforcement? A citation and notice to remedy might give them a kick in the pants.
Well, since it's underwater, it's not an eyesore anchored off the shore of one of the high dollar houses so it's not a problem that FL would be worried about, I guess.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I was young and dumb once, perhaps I am simply fat, old and dumb now, but I never had the hutzpah to sell everything and go for a dream. I’m too conventional for that. I freely admit that this young couple took off on a journey poorly prepared and apparently lacking basic navigation skills. They paid a price for that but not with their lives (yay). They have dealt appropriately with their mess and through extraordinary generosity have the opportunity to continue their dream. I find myself as the “grumpy old man” saying they don’t deserve that...they are stupid...damn kids, blah blah blah. But on the other hand......

As a pastor and a receiver of unmerited grace and generosity I say good for them! I know the world can’t be fixed, but generosity is a step towards that. Since they have dealt with their mess, I choose the latter, so I will hope and pray good things for them and that before they get too far down the road they will acquire the skills they need to sail safely. We as sailors want more young folks involved in sailing, so let’s be happy for them.

I now have on my set of Nomex long johns including a hood so flame away!

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I was young and dumb once, perhaps I am simply fat, old and dumb now, but I never had the hutzpah to sell everything and go for a dream. I’m too conventional for that. I freely admit that this young couple took off on a journey poorly prepared and apparently lacking basic navigation skills. They paid a price for that but not with their lives (yay). They have dealt appropriately with their mess and through extraordinary generosity have the opportunity to continue their dream. I find myself as the “grumpy old man” saying they don’t deserve that...they are stupid...damn kids, blah blah blah. But on the other hand......

As a pastor and a receiver of unmerited grace and generosity I say good for them! I know the world can’t be fixed, but generosity is a step towards that. Since they have dealt with their mess, I choose the latter, so I will hope and pray good things for them and that before they get too far down the road they will acquire the skills they need to sail safely. We as sailors want more young folks involved in sailing, so let’s be happy for them.

I now have on my set of Nomex long johns including a hood so flame away!
I originally didn't know how to respond to this. Thank you for giving me the words.
BTW, what that heck are Nomex long johns?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoo...couple-who-sank-their-sailboat-in-2-days.html

They've just taken possession of the "new" 33 yr old boat that's "mostly just been sitting behind the house" for several years...but "Broadwell and Walsh, who had zero sailing experience before embarking on their last short adventure, hope to start their trip on the Odyssey by next week." They won't survive crossing the Gulf Stream....what's left of the boat will wash ashore in Ireland!

Is anyone who actually knows anything about sailboats and sailing offering them ANY advice/help??? Or do they actually believe they don't need any and are refusing all offers?

Last edited:

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I stand corrected. As Mrs. Gump said, “Stupid is as stupid does” But generosity is still great and good for us, both the giver and receiver.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Yeah... as Peggy said, that “new” boat, with its “quirks” will be more than they can handle. I hope they have it surveyed and properly repaired, but they won’t. Cheoy Lee’s are beautiful boats, but they can be high maintenance.
Very few people get out and maintain their boats after they stop sailing them. The owner was 77, so he was not working on it, and his kids are 40-50. They are paying for college for their kids, so they are working hard. I doubt they are working on the boat.
Considering they have: 1. Set an unrealistic timetable of a week or two to set sail on an extended cruise, and 2. Eschewed appropriate training and equipment in the past, I think they are headed for disaster. Any experienced sailor would take weeks just to go over systems and PLAN repairs, let alone complete repairs, provision the boat, and plan the trip. I know they are planning on making short hops, but...

They are betting on too many Murphys sleeping as they pass by! And we all know, the Murphys are light sleepers.

Heck, they got knocked out in the first round last time.

They may not even get this boat off the dock!

Chances are, they will get it going, but I am imagining a hose disintegrating on a through-hull and sinking the boat. That seems more likely than another, sudden keel departure, but they could surprise us.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
depending on their plans, they may have some time on their crossing the state through the Caloosahachee waterway to discover some of those problems and learn something about the boat. They may also hop across Florida Bay and need to spend some time at the Marathon Marina.
They are in a good launch port for talking their time.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
depending on their plans, they may have some time on their crossing the state through the Caloosahachee waterway to discover some of those problems and learn something about the boat. They may also hop across Florida Bay and need to spend some time at the Marathon Marina.
They are in a good launch port for talking their time.

- Will (Dragonfly)
Will, you are always the optimist. I on the other hand believe these to young ones are boarding on the scam side. lets see if karma takes effect:what:

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Their dream is to sail the Caribbean, which prob'ly means crossing the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I THINK that requires enough nav skills to know how far south of them you need to aim to be able to hit 'em instead being being carried north of them by the current...and at least enough sailing skill to keep the boat afloat and on course---and it's highly unlikely they have even a nodding acquaintance with any of it! In light air or even motoring they could easily make more northbound leeeway than headway, missing the Bahamas altogether...next landfall, Ireland! And in 10-15k winds with even 3' seas, they'd really be in deep doodoo...speaking of which, their adventures with a marine toilet should also be interesting!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
which prob'ly means crossing the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I THINK that requires enough nav skills to know how far south of them you need to aim to be able to hit 'em instead being being carried north of them by the current...
I made that same point in another thread about another sailor planning a similar trip without experience. Everyone seemed to think making Bimini was like a weekend picnic run, but, as you said... There are considerations. At least the other sailor was smart enough to join SBO and ask the right questions.
If they miss the Bahamas, they could land in Bermuda. Or, try for the Azores. However, if they can't hit the Bahamas after 50 miles of sailing, what would be their chances of hitting a single island after almost a 1000 miles of sailing?
But hey, they were smart enough too figure out how too get a new boat, maybe they'll make good. I remain hopeful.

- Will (Dragonfly)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
no one navigates any more. they brag that they don't even carry paper. they have a screen and they point and go'. sailing? they are motoring. just like most modern mom and pop sailors. roll out the jib once in a while. just like most every one else. prolly motor 85% of the time. let some auto pilot handle the helm. read a little manual and have the screen tell the autopilot where to go. they will do fine.
sail upwind, too uncomfortable, sail downwind, too uncomfortable, reach once in a while and listen to jimmy buffet tunes. their sailors. look around the marinas. very few modern cruising boat are set up to sail from A to B without the majority of the work done by the engine.

they'll do fine :)