GMC /Chevy Colorado/Canyon

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Has any one ever pulled a 5000 pound (Precision 23) boat with one? Thinking about switching out my Sierra 1500 for one, claim they can tow 7800, but can they stop it when needed to?

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
How far and how often. If it's just to put in and out each season at the local lake your probably ok. However, if your going over the road, up into the mountains or other long distances my GMC Canyon would be pressed to have the needed power. I have the gas engine, love the truck but wouldn't want to tow too much with it. They always downshift going up hill. The diesel might do better but can't tell you for sure.

As to the brakes, these trucks come with the hitch and electrical for trailer brakes but no brake controller, also the truck is a little light for a big tow along the interstates. You'll have lots of trucks that will blow by and give you fits, (tongue weight for towing will be critical)

Can it do it - Yes.

Should you do it- that is for you to decide but, I would stick to the 1500. Just a little bigger and better suited to the job.

Just my thoughts, good luck on whatever you decide.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
If a trailers brake setup is properly designed it should stop it's own weight plus. I always run electric over hydraulic disc on both axles. It would stop no problem behind my Kia Sportage but be a handful on the highway and destroy the transmission. Get a Ram 1500. Problem solved.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@DAVA390
Does the boat have a tandem axle trailer from Precision trailers (out of business) or Majic Tilt? Brakes on the trailer. Does Maryland if I assume correctly where you are at require brakes on both axles or just one in your case? I use to be one of the largest Precision dealers for years. Be glad to talk with you. Send me a private message.
I am now retired living on a mountain top in Virginny.
Crazy Dave

Jul 13, 2010
Tandem axle, 13 inch tires , ,surge brakes on all 4 wheels. We don`t tow much, to and from marina in spring and fall, 15 miles, flat and easy. Don`t anticipate road tripping with this boat, roller furling is a pita when mast is going up and down. We are mid 60`s, get kids to help with all that spring and fall. Figure maybe 10 years left with this boat (hopefully), then won`t need full size truck. My GMC now is long in the tooth and cancer in the body, gonna get a new truck now while still working to pay for it.
I`m actually seeing that a nice Canyon /Colorado can run 10 grand more than the rather basic 4wd extra cab gmc and f150 `s ive been looking at so i`m not sure about getting one but not gonna rule it out. I`ll be in contact Dave.

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
It depends upon what you want on your canyon, also, look at a place Laura GMC Buick in St. Louis. They sold me mine for almost $7k less than any of my local dealers. Ordered the truck flew in, they picked me up at the airport and I was done an hour later. Easiest I've ever had.

God luck on way ever you do.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
There is a diesel option for the Colorado/Canyon I believe. Also, the Ford F-150 is coming out with a diesel option in the next few months to compete with the Dodge 1500. My friend has the Dodge and likes it for towing his horse trailer. Without towing he gets 26 mpg. The Ford is supposed to be better as they lightened the body with aluminum a couple of years ago.

May 7, 2006
Catalina 28 Mark 1 New Bern
I have the Chevy silverado with the 5.2 v8 around town I get 19mpg on the highway not towing I get 22 + not towing. I tow an Oday 222 from Nc to Ma. With no problems at all and get 16 to 17 mpg my trick is the LT 4x4.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
surge brakes on all 4 wheels.
(Never been a fan of surge brakes, tale wagging the dog.)
We don`t tow much, to and from marina in spring and fall, 15 miles, flat and easy. Don`t anticipate road tripping with this boat
(Go for the Canyon/Colorado should be no problem IMO.)
roller furling is a pita when mast is going up and down.
(Poorly designed mast raising system)
We are mid 60`s, get kids to help with all that spring and fall.
(Me too in mid 60s, raise my mast by myself, kids would get in the way)
Figure maybe 10 years left with this boat (hopefully)
(Be more optimistic, like , maybe we will get a bigger boat when we are 90)
My GMC now is long in the tooth and cancer in the body
(at least it's only the truck with this problem)
gonna get a new truck now while still working to pay for it.
(better talk to your retirement councilor)
I`m actually seeing that a nice Canyon /Colorado can run 10 grand more than the rather basic 4wd extra cab gmc and f150 `s ive been looking at so i`m not sure about getting one but not gonna rule it out.
(Better think about the Ram)
I`ll be in contact Dave.
(Be careful he is retired and may talk your ear off, I would, and give you some of his vast amounts of knowledge and really confuse you, but he knows what he is talking about)
Get the Canyon/Colorado. It's what you want and will make you happy and do the task as described.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Truck manufacturers produce a limited number of trucks capable of very high tow ratings so that they can boast about these ratings in their add campaigns. Make sure that you get the specs for the particular model you are considering. I would guess the 4 cylinder model would be inadequate for your purpose. The 5 & 6 cylinder like probably adequate to the task might not deliver good gas mileage. Just consider the terrain that you will be towing in, the speeds and the distances. In flat terrain for short distances at moderate speeds MPG could be irrelevant and it may not require a tow package. Maintain and adequate ratio of vehicle weight to trailer weight + load. Don't fall for tow rate claims only available with a diesel powered $50K model. One last comment; instead of paying the difference to upgrade to a truck that could handle the load you may consider if possible to use the moneys to rent a slip and keep the boat in the water. It will significantly improve your boating enjoyment and experience.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
DAVA390, if you are only going to launch and retrieve at the beginning and end of the season then consider renting a Uhaul pickup for $19.95 a day. Then you could buy a Corvette. Several people around here do this, not because they don't have tow vehicles, but there tongue extensions are too short. It's more fun do drown a Uhaul than your own truck. Have you ever seen water coming into the bed of a truck on a launch ramp? :laugh: "Don't open the door Don" is normally said at this point. :biggrin:

Jul 13, 2010
I`m always gonna have a truck but as i get older (as in right now) I don`t need one big enough to haul someones furniture any more. That`s why i have 30 something year old kids,old enough to move their own furniture. And, if my truck is small no one will want to borrow it. I will always have something for mulch, dump runs etc . and have 4x4 for winter (wifes Ford escape is 2wd. )
My heart really calls for the equivalent of the 2002 GMC i have now, but with a lot less rust and miles, or the F150 equivalent. But, I wont dismiss smaller trucks out of hand if a great deal come along. Thanks again for replies, as always help and hints readily available here

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
It's more fun do drown a Uhaul than your own truck.
Those trucks sure have a different sound when the exhaust pipe is several feet underwater.. LOL. (I was only there helping.. it wasnt my idea.. )

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I discussed this with the original poster and made my suggestions but the decision will be left up to the owner but I encouraged that he have installed the largest radiator and an extr tranny cooler installed at the minimum unless the tow package is already on the truck.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I've had a Canyon for 2 years now. Drove full size trucks for 25 years and really enjoy this one. Handles well and I like the power band higher up in the rpm. Got the v6. I use the manual shift much more than I thought I would. It tends to shift up gears quickly but takes a bit to kick down when you need the lower gear, have to really push on the gas. I use manual to shift down quicker when needed.

I've towed a few trailers with mine, heaviest was car trailer with small car, 3,500 lbs total and large enclosed trailer full of furniture. Was fine towing both. For what you're doing it should be fine.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
How much does it actually weigh? I tow my RL with a Jeep Cherokee, which tows extremely well. Two things about the Jeep, no actually 3. Because it is a Jeep, they design it with very sharp departure angles for going off road. This means the rear axle is at the very back of the vehicle, very close to the hitch. Because there is no overhang, the hitch does not have any leverage that would cause it to sway. In addition, part of the Jeep towing package has sensors specifically to detect trailer sway, and automatically correct it through the brake and power steering. And lastly, if you get the Trailhawk or the Overland, it comes with Koni FSD shocks, which have variable damping that is inversely proportional to the speed of travel. Slow movement (sway) is very stiff. Fast movement (bumps) are very soft. My Trailhawk weighs over 4600 lbs, so weight to trailer weight ratio is pretty good as well. Rear locker and low range is kind of nice on the launch ramp. Lockers saved my previous Grand Cherokee from ending up in the brink.

Jul 13, 2010
Update: just bought a new leftover 2017 F150. Trans.failure on my 2002 GMC just moved up the schedule from next spring planned buy. Stumbled onto a ( now rare) plus cab with a V8 and towing package. Most plus cabs you see now are Eco Boost v 6 and I discovered that as of 2017 they are all start/ stop engine and I did not want that. Tuesday,wandered around a Ford dealer after dropping off wife's Escape for service and found what I had been looking for and decided " Merry Christmas" to me!