Glow Plugs Yanmar 3YM30

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Since about 2008, give or take a few years, Hunter replaced the engine Key Switch with an I/O button and a START button on the engine control panel. The panel is manufactured by Ultra Panel Marine. The 3YM30 definitely has 3 glow plugs, the glow connector and a glow relay fitted but nowhere on the panel is there a button or other means that would energize the glow plugs. That is that I have been able to find. I would be very interested to hear from other owners as to their findings or knowledge on this subject.

Thanks

Len

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The key switch for the 3YM30 has a Start position to energize the glow plugs. Unaware that the manufacturer may have eliminated the key switch for an I/O button. I'm sorry that I'm not familiar with your Hunter e33 model which is an European model which I believe unrelated to the Hunters manufactured in the US. I gather you may not have a problem starting the engine so either the glow plugs are not necessary in normal conditions or they are getting energized somehow when you push the starter button. Check the wiring to the starter solenoid.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
The key switch for the 3YM30 has a Start position to energize the glow plugs. Unaware that the manufacturer may have eliminated the key switch for an I/O button. I'm sorry that I'm not familiar with your Hunter e33 model which is an European model which I believe unrelated to the Hunters manufactured in the US. I gather you may not have a problem starting the engine so either the glow plugs are not necessary in normal conditions or they are getting energized somehow when you push the starter button. Check the wiring to the starter solenoid.

The e33 was built in FLA. It was a redesign of the previous 33 and followed the e36 with several modifications.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Thanks Benny and correct Scott. When the 2011 Hunter new design 36 was first produced it was called the e36 (e for extended cockpit). The following year the new design 33 was produced and at the time was called e33. That was the year I purchased my boat. However, I understand that Hunter felt the name could be confused with the European yacht manufacturer Elan given their models all start with E (E3, E4, E5) so Hunter dropped the "e". That year Marlow purchased Hunter Marine and are now called Marlow Hunter or MH33. I will update my boat model info to reflect all of that.
I have had no problem with starting the engine to date; but, I felt that if the glow plugs are fitted then there should be a way to employ them if needed. I was hoping the glow plugs where on a timer and set when the I/O button was pushed. But a Voltmeter tells me otherwise or the timer is not functioning. I have a request in for schematic and wiring diagrams into both Ultra Panel Marine and Marlow Hunter. Maybe I will give them another nudge.

Attachments

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Cabinet catch for many Hunters

These catches were common on Hunters from the Legend-era through today's Marlow-Hunters. We keep a large stock on hand for emergency shipments or just getting spares.
See the product

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Stand corrected, that is what happens when I stopped going to boat shows around 2010. Had no idea of an "e" designation for US Hunter boats.

Aug 16, 2017
Hunter 36 Keyport, NJ
On my 2008 Hunter 36, with a 3YM30, to activate the glow plugs, I turn the key in the opposite direction from starting. That is, if the key is in the off position and vertical, turn the key to the left to activate the glow plugs (turn right to start). Hold for about 5 sec or so.