Gloucester 22 Owners

Nov 28, 2018
Gloucester Glucester 22 Lawrence, Kansas
There are very few of these boats, (about 100 built) and few drawings and little information available. If you have one and actively sailing it please contact me. We could all benefit in sharing information and ideas. Mine was built in 1983. The bilge is only about 1 1/2" deep. I can't find an electric bilge pump that will work. Any ideas? Ed White edwhite50@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Ed, welcome to the SBO forums.

Your issue is not unusual for small boat sailors. My Tanzer 22 had a similar issue. The solution is to find and seal leaks to keep the water out. To clear the water that found its way to the bilge, I used a sponge and a handheld bilge pump.

There are a couple of factors to consider. First, the number of below the water line hull penetrations is small, maybe one for a galley sink. Second, boats this small don't have a large battery bank to power an electric bilge pump for very long and the batteries don't have charging systems to keep the battery topped up.

Get a big sponge, a handheld bilge pump and a bucket.

Nov 28, 2018
My Gloucester 22 has a Solar Panel to keep the battery topped off. The bilge opening is a 4" diameter capped hole. I use a portable DeWalt battery operated vacuum to suck out the water but would prefer it to be an electric bilge pump. Attached is a photo of the bilge opening. I don't have any drawing on the boat but it looks like the bilge is a thin cavity under the central part of the cabin. The previous owner gave me several burnt out pumps. The bilge is not deep enough for the pump and burns the pump out.

Attachments

Nov 28, 2018
Joe, my boat will get a quart of water after a heavy rain. There is no indication of leaks inside the cabin. I have been inside during a hard rain and can't see any leaks. There must be some deck fittings leaking but where the water runs so I have no idea.
Does your Gloucester 20 have a shallow bilge too? The photo I showed is the only opening so a sponge is not practical. It is under the step and in an awkward location. I can use the portable vacuum but it looks like the boat was set up initially with an electric pump. I had a Catalina Capri 18 before and it had a 10" deep bilge.

I bought the Gloucester 22 a month ago and I am trying to upgrade it for this season. It is in fair to good condition but I have quite a bit of work to do on it to get it upgraded to where I want it. It is on the side of my house where I can work on it as I have the opportunity and the weather cooperates. We have had a lot of snow this winter in North East Kansas. Would you mind sharing a photo of your boat? I want to change the color scheme. I'm not crazy about red. I'd like to see other examples of Gloucester boats. I understand there were only about 100 22's built. I wonder how many are still sailing.
20181019_Gloucester 22  img36C-800.jpg

Feb 5, 2009
Gloucester 20 Kanawha River, Winfield, WV
I'd like to see other examples of Gloucester boats.
I have a similar factory color scheme to yours. You might get some ideas for refinishing here. (I don't know if you have to join the group to see those, but it might be worth your while to join anyway.)

My fixed shoal keel has a depression in the interior part which gives the bilge some depth. Access is similar to yours, but I have some space between the companionway and step where I can reach in.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Ed,
Nice looking boat and trailer. The stub keel will assist with loading onto the trailer and centering the boat where it belongs. It appears that there are rods on either side of the keel to help it slide into place. Wider at the back of the trailer I guess.

RE: Bilge.....(1) Could you probe the bilge area with a plastic tube, coat hanger, or length of hose? That might help you determine the overall length of the bilge and whether there might be a deeper section. A post in another discussion suggested trying to photograph the bilge with a cell phone camera. Could that help in your case? Maybe a mirror on an extendable handle would help you just look under the cabin sole. (2) Try "sounding" the cabin sole with a plastic mallet, wooden mallet, or a screw driver handle. That should help you determine the edges of the hollow area that is your bilge. (3) The opening for your bilge appears to be a deck plate/observation port and a cover (snap fit or screw in). IF you discover a deeper area within the bilge you might "grit your teeth" and make another opening to fit another access plate above that deeper area so you could install a bilge pump there. Best Wishes, 31seahorse

May 20, 2017
Gloucester Yachts Gloucester 22 110 Gloucester,VA
There are very few of these boats, (about 100 built) and few drawings and little information available. If you have one and actively sailing it please contact me. We could all benefit in sharing information and ideas. Mine was built in 1983. The bilge is only about 1 1/2" deep. I can't find an electric bilge pump that will work. Any ideas? Ed White edwhite50@gmail.com
Guys-- I own hull #16, 1983 year I have my pump on the port side by lifting the seat access cover and setting the pump in the bottom of the bilge just behind the keel bed, there is plenty of room and on the same side as the electrics for easy wiring. That 4" cover is for a manual pump.

• Helpful
Nov 28, 2018
Knotnob,
Thank you for responding. Would you shoot me a photo of your pump location? I am not sure our bilges are the same. There is another 4" inspection plate behind the mast support but it is only about 1" deep. The area on the port side underneath the cushions is not part of the bilge it is just a dry storage area. If I could solve this dilemma it would be great. I'd love to see some photos of your boat. Thanks!

May 20, 2017
Knotnob,
Thank you for responding. Would you shoot me a photo of your pump location? I am not sure our bilges are the same. There is another 4" inspection plate behind the mast support but it is only about 1" deep. The area on the port side underneath the cushions is not part of the bilge it is just a dry storage area. If I could solve this dilemma it would be great. I'd love to see some photos of your boat. Thanks!

May 20, 2017
Ed- is your boat a keel/centerboard? if so its open under sole both sides. mine is, i've had my arm under there. I will get some pics soon

Nov 28, 2018
Yes, my boat is a keel/centerboard. I just stripped the vinyl tape off and getting ready to buff and wax and restripe. I bought it in Nov. 2018 and trying to get it ready to launch. I had a Catalina Capri 18 before and sold it.
Looking forward to seeing your photos. My son welded a post of the front of the trailer. I mounted a winch up high. It makes it easy to raise and lower the mast with two people.

Attachments

Nov 28, 2018
spent 6 weeks upgrading my Gloucester 22. New furling jib, replaces wood handrails with stainless steel, replaces as much external wood with marine plastic, replaced wood toe rails with aluminum rails from a boat salvage yard, built a gas tank cover from 1/2" marine plastic, added a fan mounted to the mast support in the cabin, spotlight mounted to the mast that can point forward or flood the deck. Added a stern rail and new lifelines. Added two winches to help raise sails. Removed old vinyl tape trim and installed new. The boat looks sharp and sails great! Not bad for a 1983 boat. It was worth all the "labor of love". 20190710_Gloucester 22-800.jpg 20190328_Gas Cover closed.jpg 20190328_Gas cover open.jpg 2019-05-15_Inside of Cabin-800.jpg
20190512_Gloucester 22 TU-800.jpg
At 69 years old I love the furling jib. It was worth every penny. I still have a problem with water in the bilge trying to find a low spot for a bilge pump. I'd love to talk to any other Gloucester 22 owners.

May 9, 2020
Gloucester 22 Va-Marian
Hello,
trying to connect with some other Gloucester 22 owners, I have a 1984. I have owned it a few seasons and only un-stepped the mast once -- did it completely wrong and did some damage to the deck that I had to repair before getting it back on the water. So, new to sailing and wanted to see what process folks followed with regard to un-stepping the mast by hand with 2-3 people. Having (hopefully) learned from my mistakes the last time, I should be alright this go around, but if there i people who have done it before -- why not ask?

Best,
Yorkman

May 29, 2020
Gloucester Gloucester 22 Shell Point, FL
Hello-- I have a 1983 Gloucester 22 that I have owned for about a year and a half and while cruising this week off the FL coast, the bolt holding my centerboard broke and I lost it at sea. Anyone here had a similar issue? I have a guy who can fabricate a new one but am trying to find a diagram or blue print. Any ideas? Thanks! Matt

Jun 29, 2010
Gloucester 22 McPherson
Hello folks We have hull 132, a 1994 G22. We have had MayFly for about two years but only just sailed her yesterday. Mostly successful but we are not immune from self induced mistakes! I had removed the sink console but for got about the drain being open! After about an hour sail we discovered we were taking on water! The bilge pump kept up and despite engine issues we were able to get back on the hard safely. Love the boat but oh do we have much to learn!
D17B34CA-18B2-41C0-9C13-2E044249E6FC.jpeg

Attachments

Jun 29, 2010
Gloucester 22 McPherson
Had a successful sail on MayFly! No leaks, self induced or otherwise! I was also able to get the motor running flawlessly (Honda 5hp) with an upper and lower oil change, new water pump and cleaning the jet. We are in the process of getting used to the heel of sailing. Kansas winds tend to average 15-20kts in my experience and while that is very sail-able, it will take some time to get to know what she is capable of in those conditions, puffs, gusts etc. We anchored out without issue and I was able to try out our new FrankenCooler/ air conditioner that I assembled. 567BF313-0090-4BAC-AEC0-598DC12EF78A.jpeg00A96A96-0AA5-45BA-8D0F-DDBA6763227D.jpegDC3CEC6C-3117-433D-9D62-168435E862AE.jpegIt uses a bilge pump to circulate ice water from a cooler through a heat exchanger with a bilge fan blower. It worked well using a cheap, poorly insulated cooler in the humid 90 degree heat but I will be looking to upgrade the system in order to prolong the cooling.