Getting a Boat from Portland to Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2011
Catalina 310 Edmonds
In a previous forum I have asked about transporting a 32' Catalina from Portland to Seattle. I was wondering if anyone has sailed that route. Is it doable by a moderately skilled skipper(mostly cruising in San Juans) or would it require a hired skipper? Any comments. Are there any sources I can research.

Ken

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Only YOU can know for certain. "Moderately skilled" can mean a lot of different things to different people. Some folks would say "Never" and others would say "If the weather s fine, why not?" Many folks here are afraid of going out the Gate, but I've sailed both our C25 and C34 to Monterey and back. You can harbor hop up the coast (read the Narrative here: http://www.georgebenson.us/) or do it in one shot.

Larry Brandt, the C36 Mark II Tech Editor sails out of Portland and sails the ocean a lot. He wrote this great report on the Columbia River Bar on the C36 ia forum (you have to sign up to read it) http://www.c36ia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873

Your boat, your choice. :)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2011
Hunter 31 Seattle
I might be interested in coming along as crew if you need an extra hand. Send me a private message if you do.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
In a previous forum I have asked about transporting a 32' Catalina from Portland to Seattle. I was wondering if anyone has sailed that route. Is it doable by a moderately skilled skipper(mostly cruising in San Juans) or would it require a hired skipper? Any comments. Are there any sources I can research.

Ken
It's a matter of timing the weather windows for the offshore portion, how much time you have to make the trip (and how much time your crew can spare), VS the calculation of how much $$ it would take to truck the boat from Portland to Olympia. "Going North" at 60 mph has some advantages!

Nice trip when the seas are moderate and the headwinds light....
Tiresome if you get a 25 kt NW wind plus a 1.5 kt south-flowing current, plus a day of head seas of 5 feet at 8 seconds. :cry:

I have done a lot of trips both ways in the last three decades, and much prefer deliveries South! (with the prevailing winds and seas).

The WA coast can wear you down a bit, for what should be a 48 hour trip to Neah Bay where you can rest a night before heading inland down the Straits in calmer seas.

I have recently met a couple with six years of experiences "day tripping" that journey. (Astoria to Grays Harbor, next day to LaPush, and the last day to Neah Bay. Unlike you (and me!) they have a 40 footer that can maintain 7 kts in the ocean. They are also retired and able to sit out a day or three in any of those ports if the seas get too rough.

It's a great adventure and I will certainly do it again... But, you have to do your Due Dilligence.

Fair winds,
LB

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Kwilson-

Have 32 foot trailer 12,000# GVW sitting idle. If you decide to go by road, it might work but I do not know weight and draft on your boat.

I take my boat 8,500# (Seattle to Portland/Portland to Olympia) no problem. If you decide to do as FastOlson says.

Otherwise, you obviously have crew willing to have a go.

Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.