German Hostage Killed After Kidnapping from Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
I'd want a 12 Gauge semi auto with 8 in the tube, alternating slug, buck shot, slug, buck-shot...
Never sure about using shot for defense, so I would have to fire twice to make sure I hit 'em with the slug! For home defense, NRA recommends keeping it simple with a single action revolver and high mass, low velocity round (so it stays in the intruder and doesn't visit the neighbor's house). I like the shotgun for ship defense, but might elect to keep it simple and reliable with something like this...
https://www.remington.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870/model-870-special-purpose-marine-magnum

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I never understood the Pump Shotgun, mine is semi automatic and "Turkey load" has new meaning with pirates.
_______
Washington State legislatures need to see this Pirate link. They recently outlawed this...
th.jpeg

There is a YouTube video proving you can use 12 ga rounds in it.
Jim...

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Tsk Tsk, Jim.

According to an independent study of the matter - conducted by a prestigious legal research firm in the pacific northwest US (me) flare guns are not outlawed in Washington state. Flare guns were never even proposed to be outlawed in Washington state.

More important - don't try 12 ga. live in these either. This is complete BS.

FTB (firearms division of ATF) live fire testing “resulted in the eventual destruction of all four flare launchers and confirmed that the use of these adapters in conjunction with conventional ammunition is likely to result in a catastrophic failure of the flare launcher. Orian states the result could be fatal."

So JIm you try it first. We will convene a seance and you can get back to us via your medium.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
There is a YouTube video proving you can use 12 ga rounds in it.
Jim...
Ah..... no!

The use of 12 ga. shotgun shells in a flare gun came up on another thread about two months ago....I posted a link to a uTube video where some guys duck tapped a flare gun to a tree, and rigged a string to the trigger, then fired a few shells off in the gun. It held up to the first fire but the pistol blew up on the second shell.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
According to my research duct tape was originally duck tape - made from heavy canvas duck (derived from the Dutch word doek, meaning cloth) with glue and other stuff impregnated in it.

And now you know the rest of the story.......

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Why not make it out o SS?
No expert here, so I can only guess the SS is a bit too soft. But all this talk of, er, "self defense", made me remember this episode of one of our favorite shows (check out the bit at 3:50). Just good wholesome family entertainment.
DISCLAIMER: I cannot attest to the validity of any of the statements made in the video. I can only attest to the warm, fuzzy feeling I get from believing them.

Wait. I think this is the same gun posted above by @rgranger. Check this ...

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Never sure about using shot for defense, so I would have to fire twice to make sure I hit 'em with the slug! For home defense, NRA recommends keeping it simple with a single action revolver and high mass, low velocity round (so it stays in the intruder and doesn't visit the neighbor's house). I like the shotgun for ship defense, but might elect to keep it simple and reliable with something like this...
https://www.remington.com/shotguns/pump-action/model-870/model-870-special-purpose-marine-magnum
Gordon, I'd load buck shot & slug alternately because I'm not just trying to 'scare' pirates at close range, my intent is to put BIG holes in their poorly made wood or fiberglass skiffs. Buck Shot isn't ideal for home defense because you'll blow away a few chunks of your house trying to take down an intruder (not ideal if you have kids or loved ones in rooms close by with only wood and drywall between them and the danger). But like I said before, for pirates, I'm going to try to surprise them as they approach my vessel and put some giant holes in their 'boarding vessel'. This is why I want a semi auto; I have a really nice Browning Bird gun my grandfather handed down to me but it has a really long barrel (nothing tactical about it). Anyway, I can rain 8 shells of hell fire from that barrel as fast as I can pull the trigger. Every tactical shotgun I have fired, and I have used a few, are always pump... the reason why they are pump is because the action is more reliable and far less prone to jam than a semi-auto. Anyway, I've never had a jam in my Browning, then again I don't often dump 8 shells back to back... I'm embarrassed enough if I miss the clay on the first and have to fire a second.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
I have a really nice Browning Bird gun my grandfather handed down to me
Tempting, but you must honor the gift by keeping it as far from away from the salt water as possible. As for this AA-12, I would have never dreamed a shotgun could be pulled out of a tank of water and fired. The backpressure created by the residual water in the barrel would make me think it would misfire, or worse. But they seem to have that all figured out. I think.

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
... i'm under the impression its a bad idea to carry a firearm while cruising? something about local goverments being highly offended by such things. i will happily be set right on that though if people want. :p

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
i'm under the impression its a bad idea to carry a firearm while cruising?
It can be a bit of a hassle if you forget to declare them and then the authorities find out.
We're quite lucky to be living in the age of information, however, and this info is readily available online.

Status
Not open for further replies.