German Hostage Killed After Kidnapping from Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
JSG Heard on the radio that they have new drugs for that.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Send a boatload of Navy SEAL's with orders to do what is necessary to ensure the safety of ships passing thru the area. Let it be known they are there. Problem solved. Also, string up the dead pirates from trees along the shoreline...let it be a warning to the next bunch of idiots....YOU WILL DIE....

Oct 22, 2014
While I love the Seals and know they have the skills. This is a bigger issue that is not only about the pirates but also the governments in the area. Google this "pirates in Malacca Straits" I was amazed at the problem.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I just read a story about some kidnapped Russians. The KGB went to the kidnappers family and cut off testicles of relatives and sent them to the kidnappers. Hostages freed

Fight fire with fire

Oct 22, 2014
This is the book I mentioned earlier in this post. I found it a good read.
Author: Burnett, John
Title: Dangerous Waters
Modern Piracy and Terror on the High Seas
Description:
While sailing alone one night in the shipping lanes across one of the busiest waterways in the world, John Burnett was attacked by pirates. Through sheer ingenuity and a little bit of luck, he survived, and his shocking firsthand experience became the inspiration for Dangerous Waters.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
I have read that book and found it fascinating, frightening beyond reason, and all the more certain that we need many more Naval vessels that are able to work in Littoral Waters (in close...shallow waters) Build a bunch of patrol boats, arm them with heavy weapons, ability to launch drones that can see in the dark, and let them loose in the straits with orders to shoot to kill.

Oct 22, 2014
Doable Kimble, but the straits are owned by local governments. On one side the government is prosperous and finds the straits important to this continuing. They are working to monitor and protect the shipping. On the other side the government colludes with gangs that sponsor the pirates. They find free oil, chemicals, etc... for the gang leadership and cash, clothing, etc... (from the crew) for the raiders. That they can board and gain control of a ship in 30 minutes or less is mind blowing. The scenario of boarding a ship, incapacitating the crew, stealing what is available and departing in 30 minutes leaving the ship to continue on autopilot, and gathering more wealth than the pirates have seen in 3 years is a powerful intoxicant to pirates.

Somehow the need is to change the climate that fosters such issues in the local governments. Or find a different route to ship 40% of the worlds commerce.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
What's the reason for "recreational" boat doing in a known hostile water?
Especially one has been kidnapped once before. People risk their life to rescue him.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
What's the reason for "recreational" boat doing in a known hostile water?
Especially one has been kidnapped once before. People risk their life to rescue him.
Did people really risk their lives to rescue him? How do you know this?
Edit- If you don't sail in hostile waters, the terrorists have won.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I guess I don't understand why the large commercial ships can't arm themselves to repel invaders. It seems so logical that any large shipping company can easily afford the necessary deterrents. The only reason they don't is political, and that should change so that the shippers can deal with reality.
Recreational cruisers are a different story. You'd like to think that you can arm yourself to prevent hostile action, but on a sailboat on the open seas, I don't think so. In port, having a gun as a deterrent is a risky endeavor in my mind. It's no security blanket. For some reason, Sue thinks she won't feel safe on our boat in foreign locations if we don't have a gun. I think she is crazy to think that a gun will provide security, or that it is necessary to have one. I love watching the youtube episodes of S/V Delos and they frequently mention how much they loved the Philippines. I haven't seen those episodes so I don't know exactly where they were. It is a bit scary to realize that a location that is very popular for cruisers can be such a dangerous location because of Islamic Jihadists. This scourge has to be wiped out wherever it is. It can't simply be tolerated.

Oct 22, 2014
I recently read this article regarding the issue. Gives a pretty good summary... http://www.marketwatch.com/story/forget-somalia-this-the-new-sea-piracy-hot-spot-2015-10-07.
Talks about the multi territorial claims on this narrow water way which affect the gun laws of the region. Of course it is the same old story. Law abiding folk will not carry a gun in an area that "Forbids" it, while the pirates have no such concern.

Think S/V Delos is sailing in areas that are no on the major shipping lanes. With all the ships moving through the SE Asia channels I believe I would stay out of the major channels.

We have enough of a traffic issue with the channel that runs from Seattle to the ocean outlet in the Juan D'Fuca Strait.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Well, the original post was talking about cruising locations in the Philippines, not the Malacca Straits. I think piracy in the Malacca Straits and Islamic Jihad in the southern Philippine Islands are different issues.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... (snip)
In my mind it is never okay to blame the victim for the crime committed against him.

Was he foolish? I wonder if he was still living and writing posts about his adventures and near misses, if we would be talking about what a brave man he is.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Well, the original post was talking about cruising locations in the Philippines, not the Malacca Straits. I think piracy in the Malacca Straits and Islamic Jihad in the southern Philippine Islands are different issues.
I love watching S/V Delos also... since I cut off my cable I have been binge watching the older episodes in order. When they were in Indonesia they had a boarding incident while at anchor, but this was probably just common thieves since they were scared away when they realized the crew was aboard and awoken by their presence. After that close call they started night watches armed with the big halogen spot light to beam at anyone who got too close to Delos at night. In general I think Brian and Brady are pretty alert to pirate activity and have avoided water ways around the southern Philippines where those incident took place. Also, if you compare maps of recorded Piracy (particularly ones involving kidnapping of private yacht crews) to the courses and stops Delos has made, I think they actively avoid those routes.
I really have to wonder what your rights are in international waters to arm and defend yourself. I know that in numerous countries you'd keep in deep trouble if you enter territorial water or port with undeclared firearms onboard or even have them at all... I'm sure local laws on this hot topic are all over the map. But seriously, I'd want a 12 Gauge semi auto with 8 in the tube, alternating slug, buck shot, slug, buck-shot... If Pirates try to board my vessel I will try to sink them before using deadly force, but I certainly wouldn't loose any sleep if I had to make shark bait out of any of them.

Oct 22, 2014
But seriously, I'd want a 12 Gauge semi auto with 8 in the tube
I have heard such a tool identified as an "Emergency Line Throwing Appliance". Of course not all the parts have been shipped to you at this time, is the appropriate reply to a query from CG. They have been back ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.