Genoa Sheet Attachment

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
No not worried, hopeful. You'd have to explain the physics of getting that soft shackle to pull four laps of cordage through the grommet to me to prove your point.
One shake of the clew can loosen the looped end of the sheet enough that the tail of the shackle will fall right out. Then there is nothing to secure the loop to the clew.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ilan, The question is what are you trying to accomplish. Then decide on the best tool to resolve the issue.
For me, I want to get best service out of my lines. I want to be safe on the bow in a blow and not get knocked out by flying metal. I want to have the lines move smoothly across the boat when I tack or gibe.
  1. Service time. I by a length of line to run up the starboard side, attach to the Jib or Genoa and down the port side. One continuous length.
  2. I go with the simple idea first. So I use the "Lark Head". Find the middle point of the sheet and run the ends through the loop and down the sides of the boat. Go sailing. It is simple, and safe.
  3. No metal shackles, no bulky knots, easy to remove the sheets from the sail when storing for the winter. If abused (leaving the lines not freshwater rinsed during the season) then I can use my marlin spike to loosen the knot and inspect/store the sheets.
  4. If wear appears on the knot after several seasons and the lines are still serviceable, I can cut the line into two pieces.
When two separate sheets are used then I choose the soft shackle method. I prefer to have a stopper knot on the lien the is slid through the loop. It is a bit more bulky but still reduces the opportunity for head damage from a flaying metal shackle.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
I have had issues in the past with the line or knot chosen to attach the headsail clew to the jibsheet. Looking at the softshackle using the provided link I realized I can use the loop off the braided dock line I am going to throw away.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Had a shackle pop open while crossing in front of a tug boat towing a barge once. I do not recommend spring loaded shackles for that application.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here is an image of the soft shackle I was suggesting. You can make them or manufacture them. This is one made out of Dyneema. I have use dyneema as well as poly-braid depending on the application. You can learn to make these in an hour or so. Very easy procedure. Check out one of the online techniques.

http://www.animatedknots.com/softshackle/#ScrollPoint

Be sure when doing the dyneema material you use a longer bury to the splice. There are directions online for splicing dyneema. It is a great skill to learn. Of course you can buy these at your preferred chandler.
Soft shackle1.jpg

Attachments