Generator head bolt torque

Mar 20, 2017
C@C36 C@C36 great kills harbor staten isla
u ca n switch to bolts for allen key. for that part there no much torque.

Mar 20, 2017
after all i looked at page 74, i would take out timing cover, basically u need to need to remove crank shaft pulley. its straightforward, gasket much cheaper,
Ummm. That s the timing cover you would be drilling thru >$1200 used if you could find one. How do you want to seal the holes after your done?? The size necessary to accomidate a socket is too much to plug with marinetex
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kubota-BX2200-D905-Diesel-Engine-Gear-Case-Cover-Assembly-/322445988180

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
u paid soo much to lift engine? with all Block/Pulley and lines u got.
And just exactly what would you attach all these block and tackles to? I'm not drilling a hole or two in my cockpit floor for eye bolts only to have them become a source of leaks down the road, right over the generator I'm trying so hard to keep running. This generator weighs more than the engine on the boats of most of the members on here.
It's not like I wanted to pay that much, but I was so happy to even find that tool on the island (it took two full days of phone calls) that it would have been cheap at twice the price.
Got the job done safely and easily, with the proper tool.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
after all i looked at page 74, i would take out timing cover, basically u need to need to remove crank shaft pulley. its straightforward, gasket much cheaper,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kubota-BX2200-D905-Diesel-Engine-Gear-Case-Cover-Assembly-/322445988180
That certainly isn't the gasket kit I need. As a matter of fact, no such kit exists for this Onan. I now have the gaskets I need to remove the head.
Not only the crank pulley, which has been on the engine for 30+ years, but the governor would need to be dismantled as well,something I'm not at all comfortable doing on a 30+ year old engine.

capta

Jun 4, 2009

That is not the Onan gear case cover, by a long shot. Nor, after a closer look, the same water pump.
I believe I might get away with the basic short block parts, but all the ancillary parts are going to be different.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2017
And just exactly what would you attach all these block and tackles to? I'm not drilling a hole or two in my cockpit floor for eye bolts only to have them become a source of leaks down the road, right over the generator I'm trying so hard to keep running. This generator weighs more than the engine on the boats of most of the members on here.
It's not like I wanted to pay that much, but I was so happy to even find that tool on the island (it took two full days of phone calls) that it would have been cheap at twice the price.
Got the job done safely and easily, with the proper tool.
Common, I am not criticizing, I just in no way would pay such money, it is not fair. You do not have to make holes, just put something above engine across, like log or jockey pole. I would put basketball under pan and inflate it. best wishes

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Common, I am not criticizing, I just in no way would pay such money, it is not fair. You do not have to make holes, just put something above engine across, like log or jockey pole. I would put basketball under pan and inflate it. best wishes
Sorry. We spent weeks trying to figure out how to do this job w/the tools we had on hand.
When a repair that needs to be done down here it's pretty much a question of what parts and what tools are available. Without one or the other a certain amount of jury rigging is possible, but the result may be of questionable longevity.
But when it's a job requiring lifting a 500# generator and while it's lifted, changing out the only parts that actually keep it in place, then the danger factor can exceed the cost factor. We did this job in an open anchorage (not a nice quiet bay) where a wake of some size from passing ferries, tour boats or fishing boats was a distinct possibility. Building an A-frame to do a one time job, even if it didn't mean taking taxis all over the island for the bits, would have been incredibly complicated as the generator isn't on the same level as the engine room floor and outboard of the stringers for the engine. As I said before lifting wasn't an option. We tried wedges, a huge crowbar and a few other tools, but the upper casing of the sound shield was not going to allow that.
So, even had I found a mechanic who would do the job for us (at a much greater cost than the rental) there were none on the island with any tool to do the job.
Trust me, though it was indeed highway robbery, had you been in our position with a charter looming just a few days away, you would have thankfully paid the money, done the job easily and safely and moved on to the next one. If there is anything to be learned from this, it's that I really wanted a Porta-Power aboard when I left the states, but I've needed one only twice in 8 years, so should I have bought one, or not? It's a big, heavy space taking tool that rarely gets used. Does the money spent offset the space it would have taken up over the last 8 years?
Maybe I could go into the tool rental business?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
The generator is up and running with a new thermostat housing and head gasket. I was amazed at how good what I could see of the water passages looked. It's still an ancient, tired gene, but it's working it's little heart out for us, again.
If a back yard mechanic is a 'shade tree' mechanic, what's a boat, out at anchor in some tropical paradise mechanic, called? Only thing I can come up with is; lucky! So I'm hoping y'all get just as lucky if that is your dream. Thank you all for your input and help. It is much appreciated.

Mar 20, 2017
The generator is up and running with a new thermostat housing and head gasket. I was amazed at how good what I could see of the water passages looked. It's still an ancient, tired gene, but it's working it's little heart out for us, again.
If a back yard mechanic is a 'shade tree' mechanic, what's a boat, out at anchor in some tropical paradise mechanic, called? Only thing I can come up with is; lucky! So I'm hoping y'all get just as lucky if that is your dream. Thank you all for your input and help. It is much appreciated.
Good job, happy for You.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Don't keep us in suspense. What was the solution to the non-starting issue.

Les

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Possibly stuck rings? Added a bit of motor oil to each cylinder and it started right up.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
you probably used some solvent when cleaning the head and washed down the cylinders... It might also indicate compression is getting marginal and it is time to think about a set of new cylinder liners/pistons/rings...

capta

Jun 4, 2009
@ somewhere between 15k and 17k hours you are probably right. This on doesn't have liners though. I'm trying to find a Kubota short block and change it out this summer. We just need it to hang in there until the charter season is over. Otherwise a new gene is possible, but I have yet to find one that is PC board free. That's the beauty of this old unit. A half dozen $15.00 relays are the control circuits.
I've been hearing some pretty bad things about the newer Norther Lights units, which is disappointing. Maybe Maine Sail will offer a suggestion based on his observations of the 8 kw generators he's worked on.