Generator head bolt torque

May 8, 2014
sailboat about 37' SE US
Once you figure out which kubota block it is, review the attached block-to-tractor model cross-reference. When you talk to a Kubota dealer, tell them which tractor model you have, then they will be happy to talk with you. Giving them the block model won't work.

Here is Kubota's website for exploded parts diagrams.
http://kubota.com/part/partsList.aspx#
In the search field, enter the tractor model and you'll find the parts.

Attachments

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
When I went to install the upgraded alternator bracket on my M25 (kubota 850 iirc) the two bolts that connect on the t-stat housing were already broken off. The upper one at the block the lower in the housing. I looked at what it would take to get the housing off to be able to extract them easier and was astonished. What kid of idiot designer hides retaining bolts behind that much stuff. I chose to take a risk and drill out in place. It worked out but I was sweating bullets for a bit.

I feel for you and best of luck. That housing is expensive.

Les

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
When I went to install the upgraded alternator bracket on my M25 (kubota 850 iirc) the two bolts that connect on the t-stat housing were already broken off. The upper one at the block the lower in the housing. I looked at what it would take to get the housing off to be able to extract them easier and was astonished. What kid of idiot designer hides retaining bolts behind that much stuff. I chose to take a risk and drill out in place. It worked out but I was sweating bullets for a bit.
I feel for you and best of luck. That housing is expensive.
Les
Thanks. I've already got that and the gasket in hand, it's the head gasket that FedEx must get to me.
They use an alloy thermostat housing on a cast iron head, with a brass temp sensor switch. That's what's nuts to me. Sure, it's the fresh water side, but still....

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Once you figure out which kubota block it is, review the attached block-to-tractor model cross-reference. When you talk to a Kubota dealer, tell them which tractor model you have, then they will be happy to talk with you. Giving them the block model won't work.

Here is Kubota's website for exploded parts diagrams.
http://kubota.com/part/partsList.aspx#
In the search field, enter the tractor model and you'll find the parts.
Thank you. I'm hoping to find a short or long block this summer and it would be magnificent if I could find one through Kubota rather than Cummins/Onan. I'm guessing the cost would be significantly less.
All the repair places and dealers are trying to sell me a new unit, but this one operates on $15.00 relays from any auto parts store (yep, even here in the Caribbean) instead of $800.00 PC boards, so I'm doing all I can to save it.

May 20, 2016
Post some pics or go to Toad Marine and browse till you find one that looks right. Measure the bore and strike while you have the head off.

Mar 20, 2017
C@C36 C@C36 great kills harbor staten isla
i have complete workshop manual for all kubota engines, can send u through email. still do not understand, why u have to remove head. u can not reuse head gasket.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
OK pics, sort of.
#1) thermostat housing
#2) is the upper bolt behind the water pump mounting (#4)
#3) is the lower bolt behind the water pump mounting (#4)
There may be ½" between the two but I doubt it as the water pump mounting back is not flat, but rounded.
thermo housing 2.PNG

thermostat housing 2.jpg

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
From one of the tractor sites dealing with this issue they suggest either a ratcheting box end wrench or a crows foot wrench on the end of a standard ratchet (alternatively bending a standard wrench was indicated to work as well)

The same sites indicated that reinstallation at those locations was the difficult part but they did have some suggestions how to deal with that as well.

The search I used was "D950 thermostat housing replacement"

Mar 20, 2017
i guess, you got d905, mine is d1105, still if u need manual, let me know. but i would spend extra time trying to avoid removing head. for head u got to put new gasket, torque, adjust valves, then warm up engine, torque head again, and readjust valves again. big piece of work.

May 20, 2016
From one of the tractor sites dealing with this issue they suggest either a ratcheting box end wrench or a crows foot wrench on the end of a standard ratchet (alternatively bending a standard wrench was indicated to work as well)

The same sites indicated that reinstallation at those locations was the difficult part but they did have some suggestions how to deal with that as well.

The search I used was "D950 thermostat housing replacement"
The timing cover is a marinized part so instruction for this part are different. There is absolutely no way to get either of those wrenches in there.

Mar 20, 2017
sit back and think for a while, its got to be something. have u ever see special wrenches to ajast distributor on old cars. can something like that work.

May 20, 2016
Yes I have and as an Engineer and one who has rebuilt several motors you can not fit a wrench on those bolts insitu. And yes I've used those bent distributor wrenches

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Y'all gotta remember, we're in Carriacou, a small island 20 miles or so north of Grenada. Not much here in the way of stores, mechanics or even a full service boat yard. Specialized wrenches are out and even finding a torque wrench to borrow is not all that easy. It took me 4 days to find a Porta Power (called a 'body jack' here, by the way) and it cost me us$372.00 to rent it for a day last month in Grenada, and I had to beg the guy, no less. I could'a bought one in the states for under $80.00! Note to self: buy a Porta Power.
Being in the West Indies brings new meaning to the words 'shade tree mechanics'.

May 20, 2016
Here is a shot of the easier (lower one in pic below) of the two bolts. The other is so far in I couldn't get a picture. On this one you could get a thin open wrench in there but the bolt is threaded into the head more than the available gap. So either you remove the head or you remove the timing cover. The op thinks it is easier to pull the head. It certainly requires less specialized tools, Both ways would probably cost 6+ hrs of mechanic time (just to remove).

I feel for you Capta
IMG_0602.JPG

Les

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Thanks, Les. Yep, and all because some bright engineer thought it good idea to make the thermostat housing out of aluminum.
One of my favorite jobs is changing the raw water impeller. Another very well engineered part on this unit.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I have always felt that engineers should spend twenty years fixing things before they are allowed to touch a pencil in the design department. That being said I made a good living fixing things that engineers designed!

May 20, 2016
I have always felt that engineers should spend twenty years fixing things before they are allowed to touch a pencil in the design department. That being said I made a good living fixing things that engineers designed!
I made sure my son had lots of mechanical and electrical fun growing up. Rebuilding VW fastback , woodworking, welding.... this experience was a major contributor in him landing a great job with a masters in Marine engineering.

Mar 20, 2017
you guys gona say, that i am creasy, but i got used to that anyway. i would remove water pump, then drill through pump housing. to get bolts. what u think?

May 20, 2016
Ummm. That s the timing cover you would be drilling thru >$1200 used if you could find one. How do you want to seal the holes after your done?? The size necessary to accomidate a socket is too much to plug with marinetex