Gellcoat cracking around main sheet attach point on 23.5

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
Anyone else getting allot of gellcoat cracks around the pillar where mainsheet attaches to the deck? I'd like to repair the cracks but I wonder if there's a way to reinforce that area to reduce flexing. Otherwise, it will just crack again.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Can you get to the backing plate and see if there is room to add a larger backing plate? Short of that, you would have to add layers of fiberglass cloth to the back side and widen and thicken the area under the u-bolt.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
for the age of the boat it is common to see those but without a picture, I will not comment any further as I would like to know what I am looking at to make a better response. Thanks.

Dfed

Jul 19, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Augusta
I have lots of spider cracking in the gel coat on my '96 23.5, but does not seem to be associated only with stress points. There is some at the same point you mention (it's not really a traveller, but I don't know what else to call it). I have not attempted repairs yet.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
guys, I need to see some photos here so I know what I am looking at. Also advise if cabin ceiling in the rear berth area is movable in places by pushing in