Gaz split

May 7, 2012
Catalina 34 mkII West Chazy
Is there anything that can be done to avoid split of gaz from the gaz vent? We have a Catalina 34 MKll, it's a 2000, we can only put 3/4 of gaz on it. If we put more, it's going out from the vent when we heel staboard. Does any thing exist to resolve my problem?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Most Definitely ......................

Is there anything that can be done to avoid split of gaz from the gaz vent? We have a Catalina 34 MKll, it's a 2000, we can only put 3/4 of gaz on it. If we put more, it's going out from the vent when we heel staboard. Does any thing exist to resolve my problem?
..................... as it sounds like you're missing the internal loop on your vent hose. Losing fuel on a starboard heel is bad enough but you'll also be taking sea water into your fuel tank when upright and splashed on the side of the hull. Rain won't help either.

I would suggest removing the old vent hose and installing a longer one with a loop as high as you can make it.

It would also be interesting to get a small suction hose inside your fuel tank to sample what's hiding in there as a result of possible water ingress.

Oct 13, 2015
Catalina 42 San Francisco Bay area
A solution is to install a Racor LG100 fuel/air separator in the vent line. Early model C42s are notorious for 'snorting' diesel from the vent during fueling. I installed this filter on my boat over 10 years ago and have not seen a drop from the vent since. http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|311|2349059|2349060&id=133911