Gate valves and seacocks

May 21, 2013
Catalina 25 Long Beach
Hello Everyone,

My recently purchased 1979 C25 still has the original gate valves installed. and surprisingly, they still work. My guess is because this was always a lake boat. No salt water usage. However, those days are gone and once restored she will only sail the Pacific coast.
Now, I am well aware that the gate valves must go. But I am not so sure I see any reason for any thru hulls at all in my boat. With the exception of the one needed for the bilge pump. The one on the starboard side looks like it would only have been for the head sink drain. That sink is not there and I have no plan of replacing it. I like the idea of a hanging closet better. There is only the tag end of the cutoff sink hose attached to it.
The aft port gate valve seems to be only for galley sink drainage and ice box drainage. How much could that be ? I am considering just running both hoses to the bilge and pump it out as needed.
So, I would remove both gate valves and seal up the holes and eliminate any danger of leakage or flooding from those sources. What do you think ? I appreciate your input and opinions. Thanks.

Bladeswell

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Don't put that crappy water in your bilge. It's bad practice 'cuz it'll start to stink. Besides, the C25 bilge is rather shallow and in sections.

Why not just do it right?

I may have suggested this to you before, but you should also get to know the C25 skippers on their Association website forum: http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3

They've all been there done that and will explain what & how, too.

Good luck.

BTW, we had a C25 for 13 years, great boat.

May 21, 2013
Catalina 25 Long Beach
Thanks Stu,
guess that answers that. I hadn't thought of that. Okay, thru hull and seacock it is for the galley. I am a Catalina Association member, but for some reason can't seem to log into the forums there. Yes, I did try registering on the forums also. Just doesn't work for me. Thanks Stu.

Bladeswell

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Regarding putting Bad Water & Soap Crud into your bilge. Don't!
Follow Stu's advice instead.

LB

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
1. I am a Catalina Association member, but for some reason can't seem to log into the forums there.

2. Yes, I did try registering on the forums also. Just doesn't work for me. .
1. You mean the C25 Association, right?

2. Did you try it on a phone or on a computer? Sometimes phones don't work. You might also try to email one of the officers and see if they can help.

There is so much valuable information there, and such nice helpful skippers, that you'd be missing a lot if you can't get connected.

Good luck.

May 21, 2013
Catalina 25 Long Beach
By PC Stu,
I'm not giving up. It's just not cooperating right now. I will eventually get it right. thanks again.

Bladeswell

May 21, 2013
Catalina 25 Long Beach
Hello again,

Got my login issues resolved at the Cat 25 Association. All set now. Going back to Seacocks, do I need one for a bilge pump that exits well above the water line ? I suspect the answer is you need a seacock on every thru hull. Thanks again.

Bladeswell

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Hello again,

Going back to Seacocks, do I need one for a bilge pump that exits well above the water line ? I suspect the answer is you need a seacock on every thru hull.
No. No seacocks for above-waterline hoses, in particular on bilge pump hoses. You want that run to be as big, straight, and clear of obstructions as possible.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I have to admit. I put seacocks on all thru hulls within a foot of the waterline. Maybe over cautious but if the pump breaks or loses power and I have a leak somewhere, when the water level hits that open thru hull.....she's going down fast.

Jul 23, 2015
catalina 2-34 oregon
I have to admit. I put seacocks on all thru hulls within a foot of the waterline. Maybe over cautious but if the pump breaks or loses power and I have a leak somewhere, when the water level hits that open thru hull.....she's going down fast.
Kitto, you hit the nail on the head. Every through hole will be underwater at some time. How much do you like your boat? Do you sail? I am not even an experienced sailer and I can see this. When your boat heels to one side or the other (it is a sailboat) that through hole will be under water. The water pressure is something extremely powerful and will sink your boat if not noticed in time. Carry and extra wooden plug and a hammer to shut down the flow of water if it does happen. Why risk everything on a $25 part? EVERY through hole should have a ball valve and every hole should be sealed.

Nov 8, 2010
So... what do you do when you bilge pump automatically comes on and the value is closed?

What do you do when you need to pump badly and your manual salon bilge pump's seacock in the aft cockpit locker is closed?

What about your AC cooling water discharge? Forget to open that and the water pump blows a fitting and shoots the water into your bilge.

What about your diesel exhaust? It close to the waterline and has no seacock.

Jul 23, 2015
catalina 2-34 oregon
Laugh. Out. Loud.
I realize you have over 3,000 posts and I am sure this debate could go on for years. Both side of the fence. I am not going to argue with you but, I will just leave it at, "proceed at your own risk". Why take uncessary risks.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Btw, a seacock on a bilge pump thru hull ? That's insane. I am talking about sink drain thru hulls. My head sink outlet is 6 inches above my bootstripe. Yes, I put a seacock on it. Only thing that can happen is a backed up sink if I forget to open it. Never heard of a seacock on a exhaust fitting.

Nov 8, 2010
I am talking about sink drain thru hulls. My head sink outlet is 6 inches above my bootstripe. Yes, I put a seacock on it. Only thing that can happen is a backed up sink if I forget to open it.
That's perfectly OK.

The OP was talking about Bilge pump hose.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
What a fun thread.

Manual bilge pump has a flaper/check valve and should be above the waterline and able to pump from the cockpit. Electric bilge pump has seperate above waterline fitting and an automatic float switch that should be regularly checked for function.

My last boat had the bilge outlet on the port side and it would go under on a starboard tack and I never noticed flooding but it was pretty high up so.....

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Btw, a seacock on a bilge pump thru hull ? That's insane. I am talking about sink drain thru hulls. My head sink outlet is 6 inches above my bootstripe. Yes, I put a seacock on it. Only thing that can happen is a backed up sink if I forget to open it. Never heard of a seacock on a exhaust fitting.
Not endorsing the idea, but I've seen a valve installed on an exhaust hose, to prevent water from being shoved up the exhaust line in large, following seas and thus potentially damaging the engine. (Ideally an exhaust flap would prevent or minimize this, but they never seem to stay in place.) But anyone who fits one of those in the exhaust line had better be darn sure not to start the engine with it closed!

As for a seacock on a bilge pump through hull? That makes no sense at all.

Jul 23, 2015
catalina 2-34 oregon
It is racer mentality verses cruiser mentality. If you use a gate valve verses a ball valve, the potential is there for a stuck closed valve and causing sever issues. How bad would determine the thru hull. I have done research on the topic because I want to know exactly my choices and the cause of my actions for doing or not doing. I came to the realization, if there is a hole pumping 400 gallons a minute of water into my boat, everything will be lost or ruined in a short period of time. Because I am not racing, it would be unknown if anyone could ever find me before I died at sea. So, I would feel more comfortable knowing I am doing everything I can to preserve my life. I am not doing just day trips, my plan is to see the world and I am fitting my boat as such, a world cruiser. My investments will not be lost just because I did not want to spend extra time/money fitting every safety item possiable. I do safety checks of my boats prior to any outing. It only takes a second to verify all thru hulls overare open/closed as needed. It also only takes a second to close them if the need arises. By that time, the boat may have 1,000 gal. of unwanted water inside? At least, it will not be on its way to the bottom of the ocean.