Gas tank cleanout

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
Pearson 424 East Hampton,NY
ok, project continues. Used inflatable dinghy foot pump to pressurize the fuel tank to 3psi. It held pressure for 10 minutes. Now I will use pressure washer to clean out tank through the small fuel gauge sending unit hole. Then I will use a shop vac to pump out all the water and allow the tank to dry. Hopefully that will do it!! What a pain this is.

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
ok, project continues. I employed an inflatable dinghy foot pump to pressurize the fuel tank to 3psi. It held pressure for 10 minutes. Now I will use pressure washer to clean out tank through the small fuel gauge sending unit hole. Then I will use a shop vac to pump out all the water and allow the tank to dry. Hopefully that will do it!! What a pain this is.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
ok, project continues. Used inflatable dinghy foot pump to pressurize the fuel tank to 3psi. It held pressure for 10 minutes. Now I will use pressure washer to clean out tank through the small fuel gauge sending unit hole. Then I will use a shop vac to pump out all the water and allow the tank to dry. Hopefully that will do it!! What a pain this is.
First, it is a waste of time to test for leaks before cleaning the tank. The dirt often clogs the holes. You will need to test it again after cleaning, since the cleaning sometimes makes holes.

When you re-test, cover it with a soapy water bubble mix to look for pin holes (just a little hand dish washing soap in water). That pressure is way too low to find leaks on it's own (but you don't want to use more pressure).

(I'm an API licensed tank inspector. I've inspected thousands, up to 10,000,000 gallons.)

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks thinwater! Now you tell me! oh well, I will try and pressure wash the best I can this weekend, pump dry with shop vac and then re-test for leaks. I did use a spray bottle filled with soapy water to check for leaks around all fittings last time. At least I got that part right!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Thanks thinwater! Now you tell me! oh well, I will try and pressure wash the best I can this weekend, pump dry with shop vac and then re-test for leaks. I did use a spray bottle filled with soapy water to check for leaks around all fittings last time. At least I got that part right!
Sorry:rolleyes:. Going forward, make sure you don't have a deck leak and use Biobor EB; really good at stopping corrosion.

I've done a lot of stuff over, through the years!

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
the verdict: tank needs to be replaced! Thanks to thinwater, I pressure tested the tank again after cleaning thoroughly with a power washer. This time the tank did not hold pressure and is leaking from the bottom. I could not see the leak, but certainly could hear it. Order goes in today for replacement tank!