Galveston to Vera Cruz

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hate to breach the bubble, but not sure how you are going to reach a place "Vera Cruz" with out putting wheels on your boat and using a road map. My map search developed routes to 23 locations but all were land locked....
Did you perhaps intend to visit Veracruz MX?
Then go in the good season and stay close to the coast. Watch for pirates.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes... There is that "Do Not Travel" zone... Perhaps Vera Cruz PA or Vera Cruz OH or even Vera Cruz TX were on his mind. He was looking for a trailer at one time. Impossible to guess.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Winfield Scott found it without any problem.

Not someplace I'd want to visit right now without as many friends as he brought along with him when he visited but very doable.

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
Entonces....Veracruz y no..Vera Cruz. Peligrosso ..possible, pero yo tengo bombas de pipa y trago de molatov y flare guns....lol

Just kidding, Level 2 in Veracruz, scary but bouncing around Ecuador and Columbia in my youth made me a pretty seasoned Gringo. Actually, I'm so jacked up about logging miles, I'll probably clear customs, pop open a Shinner, take a short nap and head back.

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
This sailing journey knows no bound and I have fallen into another rabbit hole. ( Actually, I have been in this hole secretly now for over a month. I'm afraid to post this affliction in a new thread so I will whisper it to you fellows)....Golden Globe Race 2022. I know I know, perhaps therapy will help.

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
Some times in life you need to reinvent yourself and thats whats going one right now. Two years ago it was trekking across the wilderness with my girl dog, we hiked the Uintas Mts 80 miles of it in 10 days, we hiked the 60 mile trail through Cap Rock Canyon too. Then the knee blew out...back to the drawing board. On vacation in Florida I read some book about a fellow and his Gf who sailed through the canal and into the pacific typhoon...she died yada yada yada, and i rushed out and started looking at boats...I was hooked. A day later I joined LA fitness and started working out 4 days a week and insatiably down loading and consuming books about sailing...it has not let up one iota. Aside from my love for my children and my understanding wife..this is as happy I have ever been and i just want to see where it all winds up

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I lived in Tampico Mx and I still have friends there.
The MX state of Veracruz was just across the river from Tampico.
As you go south to CD Veracruz, the world of a tropical jungle emerges. Tampico marked the transition from the Desert North to Tropical South.
About 1 hour south, you can see parrots and monkeys in their natural habit.

The Veracruz farmers use shotguns to kill parrots, that eat their corn crops.
The areas around Tampico, is full of ocean going oil tankers from all nationalities.
So Caution and I hope you have radar.
_____
From recent discussion of Mexico, with my Amistades [close friends]
Mexico still cherishes its tourist industry and is NOT, I repeat NOT, a USA border town.
There is little violence toward USA tourists.
_____
Since you evidently speak Spanish, this will endear you to the locals, when you speak Spanish.
So practice speaking it and buy some MX pesos before leaving.
______
The Gulf Continental shelf is at it closest to land in that area of the Gulf. Deep waters, where little fishing exists, means many Shrimper will abound along the coast line.

Most inclimate weather happens after midnight and before dawn.
Bueno suerte...
Jaime... aka Jim...

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
I lived in Tampico Mx and I still have friends there.
The MX state of Veracruz was just across the river from Tampico.
As you go south to CD Veracruz, the world of a tropical jungle emerges. Tampico marked the transition from the Desert North to Tropical South.
About 1 hour south, you can see parrots and monkeys in their natural habit.

The Veracruz farmers use shotguns to kill parrots, that eat their corn crops.
The areas around Tampico, is full of ocean going oil tankers from all nationalities.
So Caution and I hope you have radar.
_____
From recent discussion of Mexico, with my Amistades [close friends]
Mexico still cherishes its tourist industry and is NOT, I repeat NOT, a USA border town.
There is little violence toward USA tourists.
_____
Since you evidently speak Spanish, this will endear you to the locals, when you speak Spanish.
So practice speaking it and buy some MX pesos before leaving.
______
The Gulf Continental shelf is at it closest to land in that area of the Gulf. Deep waters, where little fishing exists, means many Shrimper will abound along the coast line.

Most inclimate weather happens after midnight and before dawn.
Bueno suerte...
Jaime... aka Jim...
Thanks Jaime...that was my first impression too regarding Vera Cruz. I feel it would make a great destination and I'm sure the people are warm and hospitable too. You confirmed what I felt the area would be like. I understand you need to line up the white lights to guide you past the reefs into the harbor

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Went there twice during the 90's as crew for the race from Galveston to Veracruz.. We had a great time on both occasions.. The Corona beer folks sponsored some fine parties.. We rented a car and drove around to get a flavor for the countryside.. Had some really fine food.. As I understand it the race folks got concerned about the problems in the Veracruz area and moved the race finish to Isla Mujeres ..

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
That's too bad....you can't live in fear. I'm going to chart a course to PortAransas this weekend...my first outing trip with Dauphine...or Daffy as I sometimes call her.....then plan a Vera Cruz trip...soon after. I closed on her today.....she is now mine