galvanic isolator

Dec 2, 2015
hunter 466 marina del rey
I have a 2004 H466 with a galvonic isolator alert gizmo at my nav desk. I have my zincs and bottom serviced monthly so i am pretty confident that the zincs are all good Every now and then the alert starts buzzing and buzzing and buzzing. i disconnect from shore power and it stops. when i reconnect it may or may not start buzzing again. I am ready to simply cut the wires on it... thoughts?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
DONT CUT THE WIRES...
if its buzzing, there is a problem. cutting the wires could be allowing your boat parts to dissolve, only without the buzzing sound.... find the problem and fix it.

It may actually be a problem with the unit itself, but until its proven to be so, you need to consider that your boat is in danger... do an internet search and educate yourself on galvanic corrosion, causes and ways to isolate it.... and call the manufacture of the warning system and ask some questions about how it works and what conditions (failure of it?) can set it off...
the very fact that unplugging from shore power causes it to stop, leads me to believe you have a very real problem... and it may be right in the shore power connection itself.. either at the pedistal or the boat plug.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
The unit may be identifying another boat in the marina that is leaking badly. When you connect the green ground wire you are connecting to every other boat with shore power connected. The isolator isolates you (2ish volts DC, enough to stop corrosion currents) from the rest of the marina. It still allows AC voltage above 2 volts to pass though so you are still protected.
So when the unit sounds off it look around and see if there is always this one boat that is around

Dec 2, 2015
hunter 466 marina del rey
so we disconnected from the dock; went sailing; and when we re connected.... NADA... no more beeping... this has happened before... got to be in the shore power connection...yes?

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Do not conclude shore power connection is the culprit just yet.

An alarm means can mean two things - failure of the unit itself or a reverse polarity condition, Reverse polarity or a failure of the isolator that results in safety green being broken is a potential shock hazard.

These units are simple to test so as to find out whether the unit has failed. Easy also to verify reverse polarity. But you need to know what you are doing here.

Do you have the isolator manual?

Charles

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The failure to buzz (or whatever) means that right NOW it's not in alarm mode. (e.g., when a pump, heater, blender, charger, inverter, whatever is activated, then you may have an issue. Or the unit may have failed or be failing.)

There is a innovative manufacturer of combiners, isolators, etc.: Yandina (I've had one of their combiners for years and a galvantic isolator.. I'd suggest that you look through this information:

http://www.yandina.com/acrobats/GalvOwnManual.pdf
http://www.yandina.com/electrolysis.htm
http://www.yandina.com/galvanicIsolator.htm

Jun 6, 2006
I have to differ with Mr. Erwin. The unit alarms when there is a fault or there is a short to ground. Reverse polarity will not effect the unit as it is connected to the ground wire not the hot or neutral. And it is not like the polarity is going to change unless you rewire something on the dock. You can pull the unit and test it with 12 and 1.5 volt batteries. It should pass current (don't forget to insert a load in the circuit!!!!!!!) at 12 volts in both directions and should not pass current at all with the 1.5 volt battery.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Bill - Since he has a remote monitor it is likely his unit is a ProMariner ProSafe isolator.

If so the alarm design samples both galvanic isolation and reverse polarity fail conditions. In summary the design detects open safety green, shorted or open diodes, and AC reverse polarity too

Charles

Jun 6, 2006
Well if you are going to read the manual.... :) .... Got it, I bow to your greater understanding of the specific unit.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
An alarm means can mean two things
Add few more possibility...
Another boat(s) that has a AC problem, left the marina.

@jack silver do you berth your boat near "transient boat berthings"?
Is there a new boat on the same shore power circuit?
Has there been recent lightning strikes near the marina?
Has the marina done some recent electrical work on shore power?
Jim...

PS: We had a new boat arrive that was recently "incorrectly wired" which reeked havoc on our pier.