Galley Cabinets

Sep 29, 2015
Catalina 30 2188 St. Petersburg
does anyone have the dimensions or a layout with measurements of the Catalina 30 galley?

Jan 21, 2018
Catalina 30 1620 Orange Beach, AL
I just pulled my galley cabinet and have it at home. I'm going to completely rebuild a new one as this one is de laminated and not worth trying to fix. I am also going with just one sink in the middle of the counter. This way I'll have more storage area. If there is some measurement I can make for you please ask.
Jeff
Cat 30 Hull #1620

Jul 27, 2017
Catalina 30 5167 Texas
Mine is in pieces in my garage because we just pulled our engine to replace the transmission and found some rot. Is there any specific measurement you are looking for? I can go measure it for you since it's only 10 feet away.

We are having to replace the top and the forward sides. I am still trying to source some wood to use for those parts.

Not sure it will help but here are the measurements for the two parts we are replacing.
18"x50" x 1/2" forward
13"x65" x 3/4" top

Sep 29, 2015
Thank you BeachGuy and Smunkey, I am looking for overall Length (forward side and aft side), total width and height for the cabinet itself. I am replacing the entire cabinet and top. I have replaced it once but did a very poor job. So now I am starting from scratch. I will try to attach pictures of my diagram I am thinking of using. I repowered and my exhaust hose run on the opposite side of where my 5411 was. So I will have to reconfigure the drawers and sink.

Attachments

Jul 27, 2017
Catalina 30 5167 Texas
I am not sure if the cabinet changed dimension over the years, but mine is a 1988, and I see some discrepancies between your drawing and my dimensions though. For example, the top of my cabinet is only 13" wide and yours appears to be 16", but also it is 65" long and your drawing shows 58". But on my boat, the top extends past the port side bulkhead in your drawing all the way into the storage compartment on the port side of the galley. On the forward side, mine is only 50" wide, but your drawing shows 58". So in other words, mine is 50" wide, 18" tall, and 13" deep, but with a top piece that sticks out on the port side that enters the storage area, and acts at the bottom of it, all the to the hull.

I am not sure if this helps or not. :)

Sep 29, 2015
I am not sure if the cabinet changed dimension over the years, but mine is a 1988, and I see some discrepancies between your drawing and my dimensions though. For example, the top of my cabinet is only 13" wide and yours appears to be 16", but also it is 65" long and your drawing shows 58". But on my boat, the top extends past the port side bulkhead in your drawing all the way into the storage compartment on the port side of the galley. On the forward side, mine is only 50" wide, but your drawing shows 58". So in other words, mine is 50" wide, 18" tall, and 13" deep, but with a top piece that sticks out on the port side that enters the storage area, and acts at the bottom of it, all the to the hull.

I am not sure if this helps or not. :)
It does, but i want to widen out my counter top to allow for a larger sink. What is the thickness of your countertop with out the teak?

Jul 27, 2017
Catalina 30 5167 Texas
The top is 3/4" plywood with what seems to be a white formica top layer.

Jul 27, 2017
Catalina 30 5167 Texas
By the way, what kind of wood do you intend to use for the project?

Jul 27, 2017
Catalina 30 5167 Texas
Thanks for the update. I am still struggling to find 'good' wood. I found plenty of teak plywood online, and I don't necessarily mind paying $130+ for a sheet of it, but I do mind paying twice that (or more) to ship it! This would be for the forward panel.

The top part does not appear to be teak, just basic plywood (marine grade?) with the Formica attached, so I am not concerned about it, but I would like the front part to match if possible. I looked at the oak plywood at home depot and it seemed like a decent match if I could get the color of the stain fairly accurate.

Sep 29, 2015
I am re doing all the cabinetry in the galley. Using white oak and staining a red mahogany.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
... I looked at the oak plywood at home depot and it seemed like a decent match if I could get the color of the stain fairly accurate.
@Smunkey - There was a thread here last year about a product to use for an almost perfect match to factory teak (albeit Hunter teak). The poster was pretty excited as he had been looking for about 35 years:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/hunter-34-interior-stain-for-early-models-83-87-others-of-this-vintage.184501/&highlight=perfect stain

Additional info on Catalina teak:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/interior-finish-for-wood.186465/&highlight=perfect match

More on Hunter Teak:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/refinish-teak-veneer-on-companionway-to-salon.189600/&highlight=perfect match