Furler Line Replacement Catalina 36

Jul 29, 2006
-Catalina -2000 36' Pepin, WI
I need to replace 3/8" furler line on my 2000 Catalina 36 with CDI single line furler. What is the correct length? What brand line did you use and why?
Thanks.
Peter

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I got 61 feet for mine in 2002. I have a ProFurl LCI32. You'd have to add a few feet for the length of your boat, and where you put your cleat at the aft end.

Really, asking anyone else will only get you in the ballpark. You can do the measurement yourself if you know the drum diameter, but with a larger headsail you need more line, right? I only run 85% and 110% jibs.

So not knowing all those details makes it important that you do your own homework and research.

Good luck.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I just did mine, started with 80' and then trimmed 5 or 6 ft. off after installing and using a few times, on a 320 with a 155 genny. I'd compared the old one with a 50' piece of line I had on hand and guesstimated another 25' ft. needed.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Since the drum is about 1.5 time the diameter of th furled sail I would make a rough guess at sail size/ 1.5 / 100 x J + Boat length + fudge. Or 150/1.5/100 * 14.75 +36 + 10 = 61 feet. But that is only a ball park number. I can measure mine next time I go up to the boat. (Mine is way too long from the po). Also if my drum is a different diameter it would work out to a different number

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Length ? You'll figure it out. But what about the type of line? May I suggest flat kevlar ? You can carry extra on the drum. Strength, well it speaks for itself. Why carry extra ? Ever furl in high wind? Sometimes the wrap is so tight that if you have "just enough" line in normal circumstances, you'll use all of the drum line while some sail is still deployed.

Jul 29, 2006
Thanks to all for your thoughts. Boat is a bit far to pop up, spool out and measure the existing line. I'l have to do some checking into flat Kevlar. How is flat Kevlar on the hands? Does it degrade in sun (like was warned on Kevlar sails)?

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Flat kevlar is very soft. Surprisingly so because of it's strength. Measuring...I'd take the overall of the boat, subtract a guesstimate of where the line would cleat, add back a few feet for the bitter end and the same for a few drum wraps...oops this usually equals your overall....so, jus use your overall boat length to size the line.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I've not seen Kevlar webbing on roller furling, but then again I'm not on expensive boats either. I would be concerned that it would make over-wraps on the drum common, and difficult to clear. Also, my stanchion blocks are set-up for 3/8" line, not webbing. I wouldn't worry about UV damage because real Kevlar is impervious. The damage to 3D molded sails is to the other plastics in the sail cloth, not the Kevlar reinforcing fibers. Do any of you have experience with flat Kevlar on a roller furling application?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I realized I should have multiplied rather than divide. If you pull out 1 foot of sail you will be pulling out more line (not less). So that would be sail length of a 150 (14.75*1.5) is ~ 22' x 1.5 ( drum to sail diameter ratio) =33'. + length to get back to cockpit 36 = 69 feet. I like extra so would probably order 80

Les

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I've used flat kevlar on 2 boats now. NEVER has it presented anything resembling a problem. As you know, drums have a size ratio to boat size. Often the drum used is that of the bottom end of the spectrum, i.e. "x" drum is for a boat 26-28'. The 28footer gets a drum better fitted for a 26'. That means 2 more feet of fuller line. This is where many systems have issues. The drum is full even when some of the line is stripped. No such problem when the entire line is flat.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Yes, as stated above I've used flat kevlar with great success. Anecdotally that last boat I had it on came with a "I'll help winterize and commission (one of each) if you buy the boat. He did. When I got down to help him he had changed out the kevlar and tossed it. He thought it had issues...He did't listen when I explained about it and other upgrades. His furler drum was " stuffed" and he mentioned that he thought was wrong with sail...huh?

The kevlar I used was not webbing. It's a fire department style self rescue rope. Very soft and pliable. 50-75' can be stowed in a pouch about the size of a ladies "clutch" or evening bag. It's amazing rope. Now that it's on board, it's line...

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Sounds great. I've not seen this. What's the name, or where can I buy some?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Kevlar tape is not a good choice for a furling line. Poor hand, no UV resistance, and expensive. A polyester double braid like sta-set is plenty good. 3/8" has good hand and the price is good.

Jul 29, 2006
I went with 65 feet, 3/8 " New England rope from dynamic sailor.com out of Minneapolis. Arrived in three days and had outstanding price. Perfect length with right amount of extra length to stuff in combing box. Thanks to all for your input.
Taking Pente out for first sail of the year this weekend.