Furler ID ?

DockH

May 14, 2011
Abbott 22 Lorain, Ohio
My furler has no mfg identification. Partial photo attached. Open reel between large upper and lower discs. Might be original from 1981, CDI. Hangs up. Would appreciate help identitfying make and source of setup instructions. Need control line angles. Last, releasing the halyard but cannot get the genoa to budge up or down. IMG_4461.JPGIMG_4461.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great start. Need more info. Boat make and year. Many furlers have a name plate or identification on the line holder like this one 33E1453B-2C28-4832-AAA0-09176F489ECE.jpeg
Can you take a photo in profile so we can see more of the system.

The hoist or stuck sail issue could be age, dirt in furler luff, or damage. Do you have an adjustable backstay? Perhaps tightening the backstay will draw the forestay straight and slow you to lower the sail. You may have to go up the mast to sort out the issue.

Sep 29, 2016
Lord Nelson Lord Nelson 35 3 Full time cruiser
It does in fact look like a CDI furler. These have an internal wire halyard (internal to the foils). The line wrapped around the top of the drum is what tensions the luff. Pull it for to tension the luff, slack it to loosen. To get the sail down undo it from the furler and when you pull the sail down it will go up the track. You may have to tie on a longer line because chances are you won't be able to reach it once the sail is all the way down.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Yes, if there is a wire halyard in the foil that raises the sail, I would think a CDI. I have on on my 1988 O’Day 322.

I found my drum was hard to turn if I put too much tension on the luff line. I backed it off a little and no more problems.

586288F6-9940-4BB9-A419-390B6989DB36.png

Greg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Not sure about CDI coming out in 1981. I thought if memory serves me it was around 1985/1986. It does not appear to be one of their systems. I may be wrong but a few more photos would help. I introduced the FF2 system to Hunter, Catalina and others as well being a former dealer.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
[QUOTE="DockH, post: 1521662, member: 104218" ] Might be original from 1981, CDI. Hangs up. Last, releasing the halyard but cannot get the genoa to budge up or down. /QUOTE]

Hello DockH, An older CDI furler on an Irwin we owned had a metal foil (if that is the correct name) that was built up in pieces about 4 feet long and held together by inserts about 5 inches long at each joint. I remember the sail itself and that "car" on the opposite side of the foil caused headaches when raising or lowering the sail. Especially if there was sag at the joints allowing things to catch. Perhaps a trip aloft will be needed to sort the problem. Also, maybe something is jammed or twisted at the upper end of the sail.

I think I have a CDI manual downloaded. I should have looked before I started typing! I'll check and let you know.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
I found the download for a Furler Classic Profurl. I don't think it is the furler I referred to in my previous post, but if DockH or anyone else is interested I can post it or PM the file. (32 pages in length) If it is not the exact info you need it still might be useful for furler line angles or trouble shooting.