Fuel Tank pickup tube

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
There’s a different thread on this forum about a series of technical notes from Mainsheet Magazine. I was just reading one from 2005 and came across some good information about the fuel tanks written by Bill Lewis, C310 Assn. Technical Editor at that time:

"A few relevant facts about the C310 and the M-25XPB engine: 1) the fuel tank is mounted athwart ship at the stern and is slightly higher than the engine, 2) the fuel supply and return lines are attached to down tubes that protrude in to the tank to within 1/2" of the bottom (Hull 54 and newer), 3) the supply down tube is mounted toward the starboard end of the tank and the return tube is mounted closer to the centerline of the tank..."

He and Catalina recommended swapping the lines, so the supply draws closer to the centerline. This was in response to a problem of the engine stalling out when heeled more than 20 degrees on starboard tack with a tank less than half full.

So that explains the difference in fuel tanks between early and late boats. Probably has no bearing on Scott's problem, but good information for those of you with hulls after #53.
Thank you, Marchem, for that info. I have, indeed, had the engine die while heeled on a starboard tack. Knowing that the down tubes are identical is huge. Looks like I have another project to do.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Thank you, Marchem, for that info. I have, indeed, had the engine die while heeled on a starboard tack. Knowing that the down tubes are identical is huge. Looks like I have another project to do.
Thanks to Bill Lewis for the original write up. I spent a day once reading through all of the articles, and taking notes on projects to do, or things to investigate further.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
This was in response to a problem of the engine stalling out when heeled more than 20 degrees on starboard tack with a tank less than half full.
I don't know that I've ever wanted to run an engine when heeled more than 20 degrees.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I don't know that I've ever wanted to run an engine when heeled more than 20 degrees.
You wouldn't normally. We were motorsailing in a slight breeze when a gust hit us. Before we could ease the main sheet, the engine died. Fortunately, the wind then came up and we sailed to an anchorage, where we changed out the fuel filter and got the engine going again.