Fuel tank in front of the gudgeons!

May 18, 2017
O'Day 272 Cleveland
Hi all,
We were anticipating the launch of our 272 this weekend, however a major snag came up. The grudgeons need to be tightened. Unfortunately the fuel tank is blocking the lower gudgeon. The boat yard can't get to it without "major surgery". Clearly I don't want the rudder to fall off. Has anyone had this experience and how did you deal with it? We have an '87 O'Day 272 deisel.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
What major surgery is required? Pulling a tank can be hard work but you can do it yourself if so inspired. Any pictures will help with getting advice.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Pictures would help, but without a visual I can say you have two possibilities;
1. Like jibes138 said, you can move it yourself. Run it as close to empty as you can or pump the fuel out until its light enough to move. Probably no need to remove it completely, just nudge out of the way enough to get a wrench on the nut.
2. I doubt the tank is sitting on top of, as in actually touching, the nuts... there isn't enough room to reach an arm in there, but there should be at least a little room. It may require a 'redneck special' reaching wrench; dig out an old unwanted or rusted box end wrench (or buy one) of the correct size and cut it in half, then stick either the box end or open end handle down into whatever size steel pipe it fits best in and tack weld it. Make the pipe just long enough to reach behind the tank and hold the backing nut. You might need a skinny child to wiggle into the space with a head-lamp to pull this off.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Could you install an access port in the aft wall of the cockpit to reach the nut?