FTZ 94284 Terminal Crimper

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
I bought an FTZ about 5 years ago based on Maine Sails' recommendation and have used it for probably 50 crimps. I was going to sell it when I finished my electrical work, but I've lent it out to so many folks that I felt it was worth keeping it and 'giving back'.
I was also a bit confused about the calibration. My instructions weren't explicit about using the center of the handles to measure the 14-16" distance, so I called the good folks in Portland Maine who distribute and they put me in touch with someone who explained using the center of the handles as Maine posted.
I always do the pull test to determine how my crimps come out and do a double crimp as MS suggests.
Really happy with the tool and glad I kept it! Anyone in the Boston area who would like to borrow it, feel free to contact me!!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
O.K., received my Greenlee tool today. It's a very nicely made tool, nothing loose or sloppy about it. I am certain that it's genuine, not a counterfeit; if it is, it's a beautiful counterfeit! The seller told me he bought it from an electrical supply house. It says "MADE IN GERMANY" on it, but I guess a faker would put that on, too. But overall, it's a nicely made tool.

Despite what some have said online, it's not a ratcheting tool, but it does have a very positive "over center" effect in use, so you know when you've crimped all the way.

I've only made on crimp so far, an FTZ 91726, 4 ga., 5/16" hole, extreme duty lug, on Ancor 4 gauge plated marine wire. I used the 4 gauge dies in the tool, which match the FTZ color code of gray.

I'm not happy with the crimp. It will certainly work, but it's not esthetically pleasing. It looks over-crimped. I might try another with the #2 die setting.

To be fair, I'm not crazy about the FTZ crimp tool's crimp on the same lug, which, despite calibrating the tool, seems under-crimped to me.

Pics: red wire is the Greenlee tool, black wire is the FTZ tool. Also, I put two crimps on with the FTZ tool, just one with the Greenlee.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
That Greenlee crimp looks terrible, not only over-crimped but also like the two dies were misaligned. As you noted, going up a size should address this. Also make sure the die axles are fully extended and locked.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Can you post a photo of the Greenlee? That terminal is grossly over-crimped...

What dies did you use on the FTZ for the 4GA terminal?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Can you post a photo of the Greenlee? That terminal is grossly over-crimped...

What dies did you use on the FTZ for the 4GA terminal?
I'll post a pic this afternoon. For the FTZ I used the J-H die combination, per FTZ's chart, and as marked on the terminal: J-H and gray. I used the gray, 4 ga. dies on the Greenlee, per FTZ's color code.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Pics of the Greenlee tool. As you can see in the third pic, the dies are indeed misaligned. The tool is apparently bent, or "sprung." See the plates of the left jaw enclosing the rotating die. Width (height in the pic) overall on the left is .015" or so more than the right. This was probably caused by someone dropping it, or more likely trying to squish something too big, or not soft enough, for the die. I don't think it was me! Thankfully, the tool is simple enough to disassemble, and I can check flatness of the plates on my surface plate, and flatten them with judicious application of the hydraulic press.
Once I sort that out, I'll try again, this time first trying the #2, brown die on the FTZ #4 extreme duty lug.