Fridge on a small yacht?

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Kestle: Sounds good BUT, that thing will draw 13 inverter dc amps per hr! You will need lots of fresh water as well. Do not think I would do that! Chief

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
13 amps, with a straight pull from the panels between 11 am and 1 pm? It only hold two quarts of water, which is enough ice to replace melted cooler stuff AND FOR RUM!

My point was to use it only off panels. On our boat, my single battery is always charged before 11 am on my 100 watt. I'm seriously considering this, as I'd just have to add one more.

I have a crazy idea to buy a 24 volt trolling motor and either run the ice machine or the motor when the wind is light.

Once a gadget guy, always...

Jeff

Nov 26, 2012
Kestle: That is 13 amps per hour! Your panel doesn't even produce 1/2 that much on its best day. Running an electric motor makes about as little since as the ice maker. You would do well to learn more about solar and DC power before you waste a lot of money. Chief

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I don't have trouble getting seven amps out of one (then with the second panel). On the math, 100 / 12 is 8.3 amps.

Jeff

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Should have said the second would be a 120 for the inverter loss.

Jeff

Nov 26, 2012
Kestle: What you are suggesting is not practical. Chief, Electronic Engineer, FCC lic #1890

Nov 26, 2012
Kestle: Its morning and I will try to help with your insane ideas! ha There is a forum thread about a Toqueedo motor that you need to find. He loves the motor but concerned about adequate power. Those motors also use 24v to add to power problems, which will require some solar panel/battery bank switching configurations. All very expensive to attain, but complicated and doable.
Ice Machine: If you put enough solar on board you can do it especially if you limit use and disconnect. I would not run directly off the panels since mid day should have your batterys topped out and then they will act as DC stabilizers while running the inverter/ice machine. Inverters tend to not perform at max output so you will need to buy one that can handle the load. Of course all this is expensive! Chief

Aug 29, 2013
Hunter 240 Yamba
Hi all, the 36 litre Coleman 5 day cooler keeps drinks and food cold for 4 to 5 days in 38 C heat.

We have now figured out that we need to hit a marina for ice, and water about every 4 to 5 days and we can live with that.

Thank you to everyone for your contribution.