Fridge on a small yacht?

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Regular guy: The high current unit you have can be delt with but having both freezer and reefer at the same time is best. I know of no unit that does better than the Isotherm at 20a per day. See my prior post for details.
Your calculations are seriously flawed. For example, you cant run your batteries below about 50% before the reefer shuts down. I'll calculate for you if you want.
Chief

Nov 26, 2012
If you want a portable unit go back and reread Kito's post. He is telling you all about a portable unit that runs on about 20a a day. Chief

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
Thanks Chief. I know, good you pointed it out, my energy balance was just meant to show the at least need regarding a 65 Watt drain. It needs realistically more to consider, the navigation devices, lights, radios, pumps, etc.
The good thing, the fridge would disconnect automatically when batteries critically drained. I actually decided for more cooling space, do not really need ice or would carry deep frozen stuff.
Is there really a compressor refrigerator box out needing, if running, less then 65 Watts?

Nov 26, 2012
RG: Yes, Kito and I both have units that draw about 20 amps over a 24 hr period.
James: Those Igloo units are NOT reefers, they are merely coolers and run at 5 amps constant. I have one of those as well.

Correction: Kito is researching and considering buying the unit that draws .7AH.

Kito: Go to www.defender.com and look up the Isotherm units. Seems that you would have the room for a regular compressor upright on your 30?

Chief

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
Chief, I looked it up the Isotherm, it said 0.7A average, also, when the information is right, it reads 45 Watt. I believe very important here is, how well the insolation of the box works, how often the compressor will have to run to hold the temperature down. That may be way less in cooler times of the year. I am looking forward to get some real experience about it.
So far I can say, the thermoelectric box has not worked for me, it run all day and night and did not cool my food well on a trip in September to Savannah and around Hilton Head Island.

Nov 26, 2012
RG: I used the Isotherm all summer and fall and it does what it says. I ran it for 4 days on a 200ah bank, 160w solar with no sun and went about .15 volts under 12v only once. Did no conservation and reefer worked perfect! These units do what they say!
If it draws more in warmer climates that would be no problem as the solar and lots of sun would more than compensate for the small amp increase
Chief.

Aug 29, 2013
Hunter 240 Yamba
Has anyone tried to put a small fridge on their yacht to supplement or replace the ice box? If you have, then have you used a 12 volt battery to power it? I have a hunter 240 and thinking of using an engel or waeco fridge/freezer of about 30 to 40 litres instead of (or to supplement) the ice box. I need the battery to last at least 5 days as I will be away from anywhere that sells ice. So my question is: has anyone done this successfully? If you have then what size battery and what size fridge? I have a small 40 watt solar unit that I can use to top up the normal "house" battery but I am not sure that will provide enough to be able to charge up a fridge battery as well. All the manufacturers say that their units use low power, but I think that the real proof is in the doing. E.g. It seems that the only fridges worth thinking about use a compressor.....the other technologies don't seem to work very well, and therefore use more battery power for the same amount of cooling. Thanks everyone
Thanks everyone.

I have done a lot more research since receiving all of your comments.

A battery/solar dealer here advised me that he has a 36 litre compressor fridge for me that needs as little as 17 AH per day @ 30 Centigrade

5 days = 85 AH , but we have temps of 35 to 40 C at this time of year, so let's work on 110 AH.

For the batteries (bank) to remain in good condition, they would need to be at least 220 AH.

I have had this capacity before in a 36 foot Adams sloop and it is no joke....space and weight.

So, I have adopted "crazy dave's" and others advice.......I have bought a Coleman 36 litre extreme 5 day cooler.

I have tested it and it certainly keeps ice for 4 days in summer temps. I think you are right, guys. Keep it simple, chilled food for 4 to 5 days then dry food and restock when you can.

It has been a fantastic discussion and I hope that everyone has got something out of it.

I will put it in practice next week and let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
RG: Yes, Kito and I both have units that draw about 20 amps over a 24 hr period.
James: Those Igloo units are NOT reefers, they are merely coolers and run at 5 amps constant. I have one of those as well.

Correction: Kito is researching and considering buying the unit that draws .7AH.

Kito: Go to www.defender.com and look up the Isotherm units. Seems that you would have the room for a regular compressor upright on your 30?

Chief
Chief, I have been looking at the Isotherm upright units because I would really prefer a built in unit. Problem is I really don't have a place for one. The Starboard bulkhead cutting into the hanging locker area would have been perfect but that's where my portable ac unit is. My aft quarter berth is going to be used for storage only now (sails etc.). I can't have something even semi permanent in that area since I need access to the engine door. I think a portable unit is my best option. Something that is only strapped down that I can move out fairly easily. I am considering the Isotherm and ARB. Just waiting for one or the other to go onsale since they seem to be very proud of them.

Nov 26, 2012
kito: Go to www.defender.com and take a look at the Isotherm 55 portable. It is onsale now for 708 plus a 150 rebate! I don't think you will ever see it cheaper than that. My upright 2.3 fit in the ice chest hole Catalina made in their 250.
Chief

kito

Sep 13, 2012
Yeah, I had the 55 quart in my cart but noticed it was backordered and only 4 was available. It says to call first since those 4 may be spoken for. A Isotherm 55 Travel Box for $558 is a great deal.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
Why not just call and lock in that price with a backorder? Chief
Just did. They have been on backorder since September :) She said most likely they will not get anymore. Apparently a discontinued model.

Nov 26, 2012
Man! that hurts! I thought we had found a great buy. Merry Christmas Chief

kito

Sep 13, 2012
I found an Edgestar 80 quart for $580. Maybe not as efficient but a lot bigger. Not sure of the DC amp hour rating.

Nov 26, 2012
kito: found 5.5a for the 80. With a 3/1 work efficency it would be averaging about 1.8. That would probably kill you! Comparing to Isotherm: Its compressor amp draw is high of 2.7a with avg of .7 so that 80 is losing lots of amps. I'll keep trying and let you know with PM .
Chief

Nov 26, 2012
Let us know if any of the rest of you want the info we finally get on best portable refrigerator unit we can find. We know the best amp/hr units are Isotherm but can't get a chest 65 right now, so hunting online for viable options of other brands .
Chief

kito

Sep 13, 2012
I decided on just converting my big built-in ice box to a fridge instead of buying a portable unit. Just made more sense and opens up more space. Just need to insulate the box fairly well. I got a stack of 3/4" rigid insulation I can sandwich together and glue on the outside. I know Norcold has a bad rap but I went with their 4408 unit since it's ac/dc and $677 at Jamestown. Any comments on this unit would be appreciated...good or bad.