Fridge on a small yacht?

Aug 29, 2013
Hunter 240 Yamba
Has anyone tried to put a small fridge on their yacht to supplement or replace the ice box?

If you have, then have you used a 12 volt battery to power it?

I have a hunter 240 and thinking of using an engel or waeco fridge/freezer of about 30 to 40 litres instead of (or to supplement) the ice box. I need the battery to last at least 5 days as I will be away from anywhere that sells ice.

So my question is: has anyone done this successfully?

If you have then what size battery and what size fridge?

I have a small 40 watt solar unit that I can use to top up the normal "house" battery but I am not sure that will provide enough to be able to charge up a fridge battery as well.

All the manufacturers say that their units use low power, but I think that the real proof is in the doing. E.g. It seems that the only fridges worth thinking about use a compressor.....the other technologies don't seem to work very well, and therefore use more battery power for the same amount of cooling.

Thanks everyone

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Product Description

Keep your perishables fresh on the go!
Durable energy-efficient and exceptionally quiet, the NRF-45 portable is the perfect option when you need more refrigerator or freezer space. Unlike other electric cooler/refrigerators which cannot freeze and refrigerate contents at the same time, this refrigerator freezer boasts separate freezer and refrigeration compartments—so you can keep your sandwiches cold and keep ice on hand for drinks. Other features include a hermetically sealed compressor with built-in low voltage protection, which turns the compressor off when battery voltage is low and turns it back on when voltage returns. Features also include an electronic display and temperature control, easily reversible and removable hinged lid, easy-to-clean, stainless steel interior with removable wire basket and durable corrosion-proof plastic exterior with heavy-duty handles. Cooler comes ready to operate on 12V or 24V DC. For 120V operation, purchase the optional AC Power Cord, Model 12176508.

Functions: Simultaneous freezing and refrigeration
Voltage Compatibility: 12V/24V DC; 120V AC
Cooling Capacity: 0 degrees F in 2hrs
Door: Reversible, removable, hinged lid
Approvals: CE
Capacity: 1.6cu.ft.
Exterior Dimensions: 16-15/16”H x 15-3/4”W x 25-1/2”D
Power Requirements: 4.8A @ 12V DC
Weight: 44lb.
Warranty: Two years limited

Jul 31, 2013
Catalina 30 Sandusky
I haven't tried but thought about it. All the research I've done indicate they're junk. Even the high dollar ones. People I've talked with tell me they simply are not worth the price. I'll pass.
Jeff

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
This won't answer your question but it might give you (fresh) food for thought. A couple we know don't use a fridge at all on their Hunter 23.5. They have their ice situation worked out that they can keep their food and drinks cold for a week at the Outer Banks for North Carolina for a week during July. They throw ice out at the end of their trip. They use 2 coolers. They keep the solid ice with food they won't be using right away in one cooler. They go into that cooler only once per day. They take out everything they need for the day one time including the ice they will use that day and put it in the other cooler. I've never done this myself but they are very happy with what they do.

Sorry for not answering your question but I hope this helps some.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
I used the smallest Engel on my C270. Bought the adapter which in turn gave me ac or dc power. Good little unit.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
This spring I installed a 2.3 cf Isotherm ($750) in my Catalina 250. It draws an average of only .7 DC amps per hr with small freezer. It is powered by a 200ah battery bank and 160 watts of solar. This power design completely sustains my boats total needs for indefinite timeframe. The solar panels even sustained us for 4 days with almost no sun!
Jeff: Your research is not accurate. This is an actual compressor refrigerator.
Chief

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yeah, the fridge issue. Wonderful units to have aboard, but even small ones are pesky power eaters which require that additional stuff be put aboard, such as solar panels plus sometimes another house battery. After years of battery charging by running the diesel at least two hours per day--which, I might add, is good for only a few days to perhaps a couple of weeks out, I bought an 85-watt solar panel to help supply the fridge. So it does, but it's still not enough to catch-up fully in each successive period of daylight in the face of all daily power needs. So, I guess I need two of 'em--170 watts. However, we're thinking now we don't really need a fridge for every day that we are out. Stock more with dry goods, & pasteurized & sealed [canned] products (including half and half); drink only water, red wine, IPA's, and Pussers (forget iced drinks). If we do need ice for a treat--I'll swing by one of the powerboats nearby and ask for some!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
the 40watt solar panel is adequate for keeping ahead of your lighting, nav equipment, and cell phone/computer charging needs, but no where near enough for refrigeration..

you can only expect an average 50% efficiency from a solar panel... sometimes it quite a bit more, and sometimes its quite a bit less, depending on the day, but for a sustained load where you actually depend on the power that is being produced, with a decent install and good regulator, 50% is a reasonable expectation.

when you are comparing the power consumption of a refrigeration unit, you need to find out if the numbers advertised are measured when the unit is actually running, or based on an average 24hr time period.

the 3.5 to 5 amp draw of a thermoelectric refrigeration system is while its running (and that type of system runs full time), so over a 24hr period you will deplete the battery completely...

and as has been talked about many times on this site, a battery should never be drawn down over 50% of its rated capacity or it will quickly take the useful lifespan out of the battery....

a good holding plate system that uses 2-4 amps only while its running will be much more energy efficient, because it may only run once every hour for 10-15 minutes....

in a 24hr period that could average 30-50 amps pulled from the battery...

so without an ample solar array, or generator, refrigeration away from shore power is not a sustainable thing...

Nov 26, 2012
My reefer uses 20 amps over a 24 hr period.. That is exceptional and was not acquired by accident. I searched through many reefer listings before I found the 2.3cf Isotherm rated at .7 amps avg per hour. It does what is advertised! I have used it since mid July to end of Oct. and I am impressed! As Centerline states; you need a good bank and solar! Then you will be happy with your cool food and cold beer! Chief

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
This won't answer your question but it might give you (fresh) food for thought. A couple we know don't use a fridge at all on their Hunter 23.5. They have their ice situation worked out that they can keep their food and drinks cold for a week at the Outer Banks for North Carolina for a week during July. They throw ice out at the end of their trip. They use 2 coolers. They keep the solid ice with food they won't be using right away in one cooler. They go into that cooler only once per day. They take out everything they need for the day one time including the ice they will use that day and put it in the other cooler. I've never done this myself but they are very happy with what they do.

Sorry for not answering your question but I hope this helps some.
using coolers on short trips works very well

we have done something similar, and it worked TOO well...

we have a 52qt coleman "5-day extreme" cooler... ive had it for a few years so its not the newest technology in coolers

the first time I really put it to the test was when we used it on a 14 day trip in the san juan islands at the end of july.

we precooled the cooler with ice while the foods we were going to put in it were being frozen in the freezer... mostly prepackaged foods, everything sealed in food storage/vacuum bags...
all foods and drinks going in the cooler were prechilled (refrigerated or frozen)

when the time came to pack up, we dumped the ice/water out and loaded the frozen foods in... then added a layer of ice... then the drinks, then topped up with ice....

its a good thing we had another cooler with more food and fresh veggies (also a good supply of freeze dried meals, a "staple"food on our boats)... because the 5 day cooler froze into a block of solid ice below the drinks... it was a week before we could get to anything below the drinks, and it was day 12 before the ice released all the packages. we ate well then:D.. but we still had a lot of ice in there keeping things cold

we always keep the coolers covered individually with light colored beach towels, because it adds a lot more insulation than you would ever think.

anytime you can either see water droplets forming on the outside of the cooler, or it feels cold to the touch, is LOSING its cold... if there is any breeze at all thru the cabin, or if the sun shines thru the hatch or portlight on the cooler, its losing more of its cold.... a light colored terry towel over it will slow the draft and heat, and will keep it cold much longer.

with what I learned then, now we pack two coolers with the intention that we have a "deep freeze" cooler with foods for later in the trip, and a cooler for vegatables and foods we will be using sooner.... the deep freeze cooler can still carry the coca-cola for the evening refreshments without it becoming impounded in ice:D

with this we can carry plenty of food and a good variety, and have never had to buy any additional food during our 14 day trip last year or on our 13 day trip this past:cry: summer..... other than $12 for gas, spending $7.50 for an ice cream cone was our most outrageous expense, but one was necessary and the other was just downright good!!! :D

packing right with two or three coolers, you can easily get by for well over two weeks,
and I say this because we have made two weeks twice already with two coolers, and still had cold left over.
I will admit that we DID purchase some ice for the veggie cooler... it wasnt a 5 day extreme, it didnt have any pre-frozen food in it, and it was opened many more times per day, AND... the most important thing that depleted the ice from it was our need for ice in the evening refreshments:D....

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Edgestar

I have a edgestar 12volt/110 potable unit I really like and forget what size
but uses very little power and was $500 and also Engel unit that is great but more $$$$$ and both are not junk and very well rated in the cruising community.
I have 4-6 volt batteries and 2-190 watt solar panels which keep me from my using my Gen.
Nick

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I decided to convert my huge built-in ice box into a non-perishable food storage locker. I am strongly considering a Whynter dual zone ac/dc portable freezer/refrigerator. I read some good reviews and like the fact it has 2 separate compartments and temp controls.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Not for 5 days; it will not work with a small battery bank. These fridge/freezers consume approximately 2.5A per hour. A battery bank of a group 27 wet cell packs around a maximum of 70 useable Ah. You do the math. There are a few tricks to help along a refrigerator and that is to pre-cool it with shore power before departing. You can pre-cook and freeze some meals as well as freeze water containers to help the refrigerator maintain temperature. A full refrigerator operates more efficiently. Limit the number of times you may need to open the door or lid to help retain temperature. On the first day you may not need to run the refrigerator much. Monitor the temperature and just turn it on when it rises to around 40 and once it cools to around 35F turn it off again. Insert the sensor of a wireless thermometer inside the refrigerator and monitor the temperature with the display unit. Keep beer and drinks in a separate cooler with ice for as long as it lasts. There are some efficient coolers but are heavy and pricey. Boat built in coolers are generally very poor in insulation and performance. If must have refrigeration consider a small gas powered generator to recharge battery. The ambient temperature will be a primary factor on how long may your power last. If you are in Australia it is summer time now. You may do a hybrid menu that may require refrigeration for the first couple of days and then switch to non perishables.

Dec 8, 2011
Hunter 23.5 New Orleans
"as well as freeze water containers"

+1 on this good idea. I use plastic gallon milk jugs, filled with filtered water at home and then frozen solid. The block ice seems to last longer than cubes and as the ice in the jug melts, there is good tasting, clean, cold water for drinking, cooking and tooth brushing.

Kind regards

Hugh

Nov 26, 2012
Benny: Your data and info is not even close. Read my earlier post and thats what you get now with these new units. We run our reefer constantly whether in port or out, do no energy conservation and have more solar DC than we need! I do not even carry a generator! Cold beer, I never run out! Chief

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Although I put up the info on a Norcold, I have no personal experience with them.
I do have experience with an Igloo Iceless 28 Qt. Power cooler. It runs on 110V and 12v. To make it work, I put a frozen Ice Pack in and pre cool the unit overnight using the unit on 110v at home. Before leaving the house, I pack my frozen foods on the bottom and my cold stuff on top. While on the 45 min trip to the marina, I plug the cooler into my car power. Once on the boat I plug the cooler into the 12 v system and go sailing. My 100w solar panel recharges my two batteries. In addition to my cooler I run the stereo, the vhf, the laptop and the autopilot as well as the depth sounder and have no issues with loss of battery power. By nightfall, I have LED lights on in the cabin, perhaps the stereo and the cooler. My batteries cover the needed output with plenty to spare.
My food product has remained frozen for three days, even with me going in to the cooler once in a while. It certainly does struggle when the ambient temperature is very high. It fits well on my 25.5 and for $90 at Costco, it is a low cost solution.

Attachments

Nov 26, 2012
DC coolers such as the above mentioned Igloo draw current constantly with no thermostat control. Bear in mind that it draws far more current than my real reefer and only a fraction of the size with no freezer. These units of this size still draw 3 amps per hr compared to my isotherm only drawing .7 amps per hr. I own one of these as well and use it in my truck while traveling plus I plug it directly into a 75 watt solar panel and that works great! I keep my beer cold while RVing in Arizona each winter with one of these coolers and my old 75w solar panel. These are poor units for multiple day use on a boat. Chief

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Really, no one can answer this for you. You need to do some homework to get the answer.

Start by figuring out what you actually have for batteries and what condition they are in. Then list out what you have for recharging sources (solar, alternator, generator, etc) and how much power you will get from each during a day of cruising.

Then make a spreadsheet or all your electrical equipment, ho many amp hours they use and how long you use them everyday while cruising. Then you will know if you have capacity to add something like an Engel fridge.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Chief, how much a fridge draws depends as much on its design as on the fridge size and the geographical ambient temperature of the sailing area. My comments were not intended to negate your conviction that you have a very efficient refrigerator and that you worked hard and smart to find it. My opinions and recommendations were intended for Wankali and were based on first hand experience. It is somewhat funny when I can assert that I have more experience than brains. Hope that what I said could have been of help to someone.