Freshwater marina for the summer

Apr 6, 2009
Macgregor M26S Custom Classic Fresno
I am going to be putting my MAC 26S in a freshwater lake marina for the summer. My question is what should I do prep wise to the boat before I put her in? Do I need to do bottom paint and if so what kind should I use? Anything else I need to do? I have never put her in a marina for any longer period of time like this in all the years I have owned her and want to keep her in good shape. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I would say you do need bottom paint if you plan to be in the slip for a few months or more. Try a search here for bottom paint fresh water and some threads will likely turn up. If you want to do a thorough job, you should also put a barrier coat on the hull before the bottom paint. Try a search for that also, likely plenty of threads. Ive been using Petitt Vivid bottom paint and its worked fine (just pulled the boat out of a fresh water lake after 5 months). One caution.. do a good job picking the bottom paint because the different paints may not be compatible meaning if you decide to change, you may have to completely remove the old paint (UGH - horrible job).

I dont get a smell from the ballast tank in the lake where Im at but I understand some do and just add some Clorox to the water if you do have an issue.

My previous owner kept this boat in a fresh water slip and I have been doing that for four months a year for the last three years. The water ballast really doesn't present much of a problem - at least so far (the boat is ONLY 28 years old now.).

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
here on fresh water lake erie we use bottom paint . those who don't have a lot of algae and crud build up with is very hard to clean. lots of us use Micron Ultra, I get 3 years between bottom paint jobs with a bot in the water from may to october. .

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
If I'm not mistaken, there are some freshwater lakes that don't allow bottom painted craft, like Lake Tahoe is or used to be.