Fresh water treatment solutions

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
Is there a cheaper way to keep fresh water (not drinking) "fresh" other than buying water treatment chemicals$$$? Are theses chemicals just a little bleach adding to some DI water? Again, this would be water stored in the boats tanks not used for drinking,

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I do a weekend cruise every-other weekend with my sailing club. In between cruises, I run the taps to draw all the water out of my 40-gallon tank. The morning of the next cruise I refill with cool shore-side water. In that process I fill two clear bottles to use for the coffee maker, and I can observe for flotsam. This has worked for 11 years, and we still drink the tap water.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I'm guessing most of the problems with foul-tasting or -smelling water come from microscopic critters living in the tanks. I had some foul smelling water (never would I drink the stuff), and referred to Peggy's excellent book which covers other topics besides waste. She has a one-page recipe for treating fresh water that involves shocking it with a bleach-water mixture, then flushing with fresh water. It worked for me, and the rest of the season was fine. I've not had to shock it this season, but I know where I'll look for an answer.

I debated running the input water from the marina hose through a in-line filter like they do for RV's, but I think I want to keep the municipal-level of chlorine in the water to limit bacteria. Perhaps Peggy will answer that, if she weighs in on this post.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Contrary to what most people think, more foul/funky water problems originat in the plumbing than in the tank. Recommissioning the system every spring according to the directions I've posted here at least a dozen time and which have been reposted at least that many more times (and is also in my book, btw) is all that's needed to keep your water tasting as good as any that comes out of your taps on land. Do a search for "fresh water maintenance." It's also very important to let the water run long enough to purge all the water that's been sitting in the dock supply line simmering in the summer heat before filling your tank.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
yet another reason to blow your plumbing dry during the winter instead of filling it with anti/water. Use the anti/water mix once and spent most of the next sailing season purging the anti from the tank. After about 5 fill and drain we still had "that taste" from the tanks. have been blowing the lines dry and not worrying about the small amount of water in the tank for over 7 years with no cracked tank yet. The only thing I've found to be an issue with adding chlorine to tanks is the slight mineral build up in the pump which causes it to cycle due to internal valve leakage (mineral build up on the valves). Pull the pump head and clean with vinegar and your golden

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It's information I learned 30 years ago when I found the recommendation and instructions for recommissioning the entire system that includes "The following recommendations conform to ASTM Stamdards in section 10.8 of the A-1 192 code covering electrical, plumbing, and heating of recreational vehicles. The solution is approved and recommended by competent health officials. It may be used in a new system a used one that has not been used for a period of time, or one that may have been contaminated." I've included them in both my books and have posted them on dozens of sites and have yet to have them challenged by anyone.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Hey Peggie
Did not intend to question your solution, it does produce "sweet water". Just trying to address some issues I've had due to it. Hard water at the dock (almost assured) plus chlorine equals mineral build up in the system. The chlorine reacts with the minerals in the water to produce chlorine salts (little white rocks). In the tank it is no problem as it would take years to accumulate to the point of being a problem. In the pump head......messes with the valves to make them leak internally. A really fine pre-filter would probably also solve the problem but I've tried that and had priming issues.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Usually, the white 'crystals' are aluminum chloride precipitating out due to reaction with the tank walls. Nothing unhealthy about it but over a prolonged period, it can deteriorate the tank walls eventually leading to leaks which is why chlorine solutions in aluminum tanks is a bad idea.

I'm not challenging you Peggy. Just asking for clarity on whether any info exists demonstrating problems specifically caused by the plumbing (hoses and pipes).

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Hard water at the dock (almost assured) plus chlorine equals mineral build up in the system. The chlorine reacts with the minerals in the water to produce chlorine salts (little white rocks). In the tank it is no problem as it would take years to accumulate to the point of being a problem.
The bleach solution used to recommission the system only remains in the system for a few hours, then is completely flushed out. Not long enough to generate any salts or do any other damage. It's the cumulative effect of carrying chlorinated and/or hard water or worse yet, adding a little bleach to each fill, that does.