Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Any drawers in the V-Berth that may provide access? Other idea includes expanding the size of the top access, and placing a larger cover. No particular boat experience, but my thoughts are in modifying so that future work is easier.
g/l

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Is this leak after you filled the tank or is it after you got the tank level down? On ours we have only 3 connections 1 fill 1 vent and 1 discharge located center aft of tank, you can see it when you remove the 2 bottom drawers, the other 2 are forward. You may want to check the top inspection port as it may leak when over filling.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Check out this thread on the 310 owners forum. There are some pictures of the tank.
Are you sure its fresh water? I use a salinity meter to test my bilge water to see what it is. They are about $50 on Amazon. I think they have some test strips for less too. Or you could do it the old fashion way and taste it.

buddy0

Sep 17, 2014
Hunter 33 Oriental, NC
I recently found the leak in one of the freshwater tanks in my 1984 Catalina 30. I also put some dye in the tank to verify the leak was coming from the tank.

I could not find the leak with the tank in the boat. Even after pulling it I could not find the leak until I finally pressurized the tank and found a crack about 3" from the bottom on the side. I was surprised it wasn't at a connection. When under pressure, water would just weep through the crack. It seemed to leak faster in the boat. It must have been a combination of the weight of the water in the tank and a pressure point near the crack.

I've done a fair amount of research of how to fix it but have not found anything that I am ready to try yet. Seems like welding it, with or without some more of the same type of plastic, is the way to go. A skilled hand may be able to do it with a hot knife or iron. There are also fairly expensive tools for this. To much heat and you have a bigger hole. Right now I am just using the extra space for other stuff. Anyone have any experience fixing a leak in a tank like this?

-buddy

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
There's a bit more to heat welding than just melting some new PE into the crack...you also have to melt the edges of the crack so that the new material blends with it to form a continuous blend with the tank wall. A new tank is the only solution that's likely to be permanent. You can get an identical replacement from Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics marine Tanks They've been the Catalina's OEM supplier for water and waste tanks for decades. Give 'em call with the with size and model year for your boat...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the price compared to what Catalina would charge you to get it from them.

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein