Fresh water collecting in bilges and interior in 1990 26S

Apr 10, 2018
MacGregor 26S Trailered
I have experienced fresh water collecting in the side bilges for many years and now have water collecting in the interior of my 1990 26S.

The boat is dry stored on it's trailer with interior cushions, etc. removed.

How difficult is it to reseal the windows and other through-hull/deck fittings for lifeline stanchions, winch drum mounts, mast, etc.? I do not have any assembly drawings to refer to.

I am hestitant to pull anything off without knowing the extent of the work required to re-install it properly (the proverbial pulling a sweater thread!).

If anyone has done this before and can adis, I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I've use 3M 4000 around the windows and the chain plates and it seems to work for about 3-5 years before needing replacement. I just clean good and apply it. I didn't pull the windows just put a bead around them after cleaning.

Pretty simply and fast to do. That is where all the water was coming in on our S. I like the 4000 over the 4200 and 5200 as it remains somewhat flexible.

For any other hardware mounting I use the butyl tape under those and it works great.....

Sumner
============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas