Freedom 25 inverter/Charger

Nov 19, 2009
Hunter 45CC Ft Pierce and Abaco Bahamas
Does anyone know of the Freedom 25 inverter Charger has a setting or a switch that is labeled flooded / AGM? I’ve looked in the paperwork I have on board (I’m the second owner) and can’t find it. The issue is, the original wet cell batteries were replaced by the P.O. with AGM batteries and I don’t think the charging rate is correct. The AGMs are being charged at a rate around 13.3-13.5 volts and I want to boost it up to 14.0+
I’m in the Bahamas with limited resources.

Ron

Nov 19, 2009
you can also check and change the settings from the remote panel
I did see that thanks. The P.O. didn’t leave any info on board on about either. I had to download the pdf for the controller

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I am pretty sure the remote is the only way to setup the the unit,I remember my manual
shows how to make all settings with the remote.
I have the 2000 but should all be the same.
Nick

Nov 19, 2009
I
I am pretty sure the remote is the only way to setup the the unit,I remember my manual
shows how to make all settings with the remote.
I have the 2000 but should all be the same.
Nick
Is your remote a Xantrex?
The freedom 25 does allow you to use the buttons to set it up, but so does the remote. From what I’ve found different remotes can be bought or I guess you could elect not to have any remote right?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Does anyone know of the Freedom 25 inverter Charger has a setting or a switch that is labeled flooded / AGM? I’ve looked in the paperwork I have on board (I’m the second owner) and can’t find it. The issue is, the original wet cell batteries were replaced by the P.O. with AGM batteries and I don’t think the charging rate is correct. The AGMs are being charged at a rate around 13.3-13.5 volts and I want to boost it up to 14.0+
I’m in the Bahamas with limited resources.

Ron

13.3V - 13.5V is a float voltage. They can't be charged at 14+ continually. Your batteries need to be set for a voltage profile as close as possible to manufacturer specs regardless of the "AGM, GEL, FDC" nomenclature.

Unfortunately those old Freedom chargers had less than ideal charge control for many batteries. You may get lucky and find a profile that is close.

What brand of AGM do you have?

Nov 19, 2009

3 Manga Power Model# SLIG4D batteries

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME

3 Manga Power Model# SLIG4D batteries

Those are a dual purpose, not a deep cycle, Deka / East Penn model 8A4D AGM battery with a MagnaPower Sticker.

Optimal Temp Compensated (77F) Deep Cycle Charging:
Absorption - 14.6V
Float - 13.4V - 13.6V

Pick the charge profile that yields the highest absorption voltage that gets you closest to 14.6V with a float that does not exceed 13.7V... Not ideal but you do what you can or invest in a more optimal charge source..

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You can set your Freedom to best profile those batteries, not perfect, but very close. To minimize what MaineSail notes, turn your Invert and Charge remote buttons OFF when leaving your boat for long periods.
Turn Charge back on for an hour after returning to boat and prepping for a sail.
Jim...

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Ron, several years ago I replaced our Heart Interface 1600 with a Freedom 25, followed a short while later with their Link 1000. The hard wired remote Link does a much better job in setting up the parameters between the Freedom and our 8D AGMs. As I recall most all of the parameters must be set with either the Link 1000 or 2000. Here is an article that I submitted that describes the Link installation: https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=45&aid=6185&mn=42

The Freedom is on all the time while connected to shore power because both the freezer and fridge remain on ready to go cruising year around. Typically the Freedom bulk/absorb charges the AGMs at 14.3-6, then drops to 13.4-6 float. If you do not have a Link for your boat, I recommend that you install one.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The Freedom is on all the time while connected to shore power because both the freezer and fridge remain on ready to go cruising year around. Typically the Freedom bulk/absorb charges the AGMs at 14.3-6, then drops to 13.4-6 float. If you do not have a Link for your boat, I recommend that you install one.

I don't believe they make them anymore.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Yes I have Xantrex remote and it has info what state of charge and also allows turning on & off
the charge mode and on & off the inverter on the remote.
And the manual tells how to setup the charger/inverter, the remote came with the unit and was installed at the factory and not sure maybe 1000 and have seen option for a 2000 and another model remote that does more I think and think maybe you could find one on E- Bay.
Nick

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I do have solar panels charging my batteries most times except some times at night when using
a lot of battery power for 2 refegerators TV and charging cell phones and tablets and recharge batteries before going to sleep.
Nick

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The Link 2000 had a smart external alternator voltage regulator that was integrated with their system AS AN OPTION. (As I recall). It's not made anymore. IF the system is working, I'd not putz around with it unless you're prepared to replace a lot of "stuff". The system may not be "current" or "optimized", but if it's working, it should be reasonably serviceable. '

Maine Sail, or others, may have different thoughts?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I don't believe they make them anymore.
Although manufacturer discontinued I've seen them on e-bay before.

Just found this on E-Bay, a Link 2000. It has more features than the 1000.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2009
Let me clear up a couple of things I didn’t mention, sorry. I’m not plugged in to shore power, I’m on a mooring ball. I have 300 watts of solar panels and depending on the day, the batteries will get to around 13.4-5 during the day. If I do much during the day that draws power, I will start the genset up for about an hour or so before dark.
Using the xantrex remote panel I set the battery type to AGM, and I set the charging rate to 14.0. Regarding the power share, from everything I’ve read, it only pertains to the breaker size associated with the incoming power. The P.O. said he just left it on 15 amps, but when it’s on 15 amps with the genset running, it won’t charge at a higher rate than 13.0. So I changed the power share amps to 30 and bam! It started charging much better. I haven’t read anything that says the power share setting has anything to do with the generator but it seems it does.
I also checked the setting using the buttons on the Freedom 25 also.