Freedom 25 Charge/Inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
Lookes like my Freedom 25 Charger/Inverter may have died after 6 years of trouble free operation. The indicator lights say that the charger is indeed charging but there is no output. Batteries are at 12.3 volts and slowly dying. Link Remote indicator is stuck on the red light indicating bulk charge but has not moved off of that in 12 hours. Usually takes < 1 hour. Checked output breaker on the inverter and fuse to the battery. Any other troubleshooting ideas out there before I have to bite the bullet and replace?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Any internal fuses? I seem to recall someone saying there are but that should be easy to check if you have the schematic.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
2 Fuses

Yes it should have 2 fuses inside and easy to check,had My 2000 repaired last year with replacing large circuit board but I think mine was completely dead no charging and no power to outlets and my fuses were OK.
Good Luck
Nick

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
By all means check the fuses. One of the leading causes for charger failure is a faulty shorepower source. Check voltage fluctuations and polarity.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
Took the unit out and found the two internal fuses. Unfortunately they were both OK. Went to Defenders to look at replacement models. Looks like there is no drop in replacement as the new freedom model does not have an echo charger and cant use the existing remote panel. So it looks like a majior refit. Not at all happy. May look into having it rebuilt though I am not sure where or try to find and older model on the internet somewhere. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Repair

I called the manufactor for a good repair station and gave me a aurthorized repair co about 1hr away and they replaced one of the main circuit boards with a relay on it was bad and $500 later it's been back in the boat over a year now,I think it was the main relay for power into it.
My inverter was not doing anything just dead,the boat was in boat yard and storms were poping the GFI's like crazy so I think the relay just got hammered,repair guy said the relay is the one that turns power on or smething but it the relay is on this board they replaced.
Nick
Some times you can get these older type on E-bay but call maybe you have repair shop near you.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
I will check with manufacturer to find a repair shop. Alternatively looks like I can get a Freedom Heart Inverter Charge that is siimilar to the original and will work with my existing Freedom Remote Panel. My AC side wiring will not fit and I will have to splice these lines adding about another foot. Is this acceptable?????? I'm thinking Butt Splice with shrink wrap?Also the replacement units do not have an echo charger for the start battery but it looks as though it will be easy to add an external echo charger.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
Finally had my Freedom Xantrex 25 repaired. Two circuit boards later the unit is in and working fine. The folks at brewers shipyard in Westbrook ct are factory authorized repair facility. Very quick and professional job. Cost was around $700 which is about half of what a new unit and accessories would have cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.