Free Craigslist find

May 4, 2017
ILLINOIS HOMEMADE BOATS Unsure Tampa
Anything will be an improvement:) But as I said before you spend any money on coatings, I'd get that keel to move up and down freely with good function and make sure the pivot pin and cable are strong. Since you have no idea what that boat is and nobody has jumped up to tell you, getting a replacement part will probable be the nail in junking it.
I'd stick with elbow grease and basic soap cleaning on everything for now only.
Looks like I have a weekend mission. I'll clean the keel so it can be moved. The only way I can think to move it is to float it.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Have fun! We have rain today so stuck at work, would rather be at the boat tinkering on a few projects but since they are electrical I think I'll pass for now...

Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 28 North East
Hate to be a downer, but "free" boats can get really expensive quickly. It will take a lot of time, effort and material to fix that, by the time your done likely it will cost hundreds of dollars, maybe more. Sails, lines, rigging, maybe an outboard engine, anchor, safety gear ( lifejackets, horn, radio) add up.
Boats are avaiable in sailable condition with all that stuff for not much money but you might have to hunt around marinas, ask other sailors etc.
The trailer looks like a good deal, maybe junk the boat and find one closer to ready to sail for $1000 or so that you can use right away to take the kids and yourself out sailing.
Remember the time/value of getting the family on the water while kids are are young (assuming the girl in the photo is family). Sailing on a boat is way more fun than watching Dad work on one in the driveway!
Here's a Catalina 22 from SBO classifieds that will fit on that trailer just fine -
https://catalina.sailboatowners.com/classified2/adsmanager.php?task=showad&adid=19484

May 4, 2017
Well, you're not being a downer. I totally understand your point about "Free" boats. I, however, have absolutely no experience with sailboats and to take on a project like this helps me to know the boat inside and out. I'm retired Air Force and have a lot of time to work on it and learn about it. Kids really aren't interested in learning about manual labor or the freedom and beauty of things outside of 8 inches from their faces (cellphones)....sad but true..lol! This is all new to me and learning about the boat thru restoration makes me more comfortable when I'm out there alone with it.
However, if I find something about this boat that makes it a very large paperweight...then I will look for something that requires a little less work. Thanks for your point of view because it is important to take time with the family. I was in the Air Force for 20+ years and I missed a lot of birthdays and anniversaries amongst other things. You can't get that time back. So I fully understand you.

C22BC

Jan 22, 2015
Catalina 25 Harrison lake
The swing keel on my Catalina 25 is 1550 lbs , same length as your boat . Is that a circular crack on the keel ?

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
Do you weld or know someone who does? Competently?
If you can weld up your own stands, jack up the boat slightly off the rails of the trailer... set up the stands with the idea that you are moving the trailer forward... by inches more than likely... then jacking up the boat so you can move one set of stands rearward... repeat for the other... move the trailer some more...
You won't have a lot of room to move the trailer each time with the stands in the spaces inside the trailer frame.... but with proper blocking for the jack, and properly built stands, and working slowly without people, pets or cars next to the boat in case it rolls... you can inch that trailer out and be able to have the boat up high enough to rotate the keel.. maybe not through the whole range of motion... but enough to work on it and see if it is salvageable.
You said you were retired with time... so I thought this might appeal to you... hahaha

May 4, 2017
I weld pretty good so this would be a fun project. BUT my woman questioned me about a developing love affair. I told her that there was no one else. She said she's sitting in the driveway...LOL!! So, I now have to finish my honey doo list before I can get back to my new love affair...LOL! However, Comma! I am doing the keel today. So, we will have pics of that atleast...

May 4, 2017
UPDATE!!
So, I had some time to clean the keel. Let's just say it wasn't pretty. I started with my grinder with a wire brush wheel and that was ok but it was taking a long time to take the shells and barnacles off along with the rust. So, I hooked up my air compressor and went at it with my air hammer. It knocked that stuff off like budda. The keel still looked horrible. In the photos, you can see the rust. I tapped it with a hammer to see if it was solid and it isn't completely solid. I also noticed that it is a two piece keel. The lower half seemed solid and the upper not so much. There are three bolts holding the two pieces together and those bolts are rusted pretty bad. The pivot point bolt seems ok. The keel is in very poor condition. I'm not sure if it's cast iron or lead. When the air hammer hit it the attachment made a very small impression. No dents just a small scratch. I'm not sure what to do next. I was thinking about taking the keel off and working on it to see if it is salvageable. Check out the photos and tell me what you guys think. There are 8 bolts holding it on the boat. The keel crank looks like it could use some TLC also. I'm not discouraged by this at all. I need to educate myself on how to get it repaired or learn to repair it myself.
After cleaning....

Before

May 4, 2017
I wonder if it might be a Luger, kit boat
On the title, its "homemade". The HIN pulls up the Illinois Homemade Boat company which is out of business. I still don't know what type of homemade boat it is. It looks like the Luger, but I have yet to find a keel that looks anything like what I have.

May 4, 2017
I have found some old gel coat repairs and more chips in the gel coat on the bow.

Should I redo the old repair as it looks like it needs sanding and maybe a redo?

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Well it looks like you are into it. The winch is just a trailer winch and cheap to replace or you could spend hours refinishing it and then replace the cable.
The keel is most interesting. I have never seen one like it. It looks to be a hollow iron sleeve bolted with stainless to a solid iron upper arm again bolted with stainless to a iron stub keel. The iron to stainless points are all areas of possible problems. I would sand blast it to bare metal then call West Epoxy Systems on best way to epoxy it, then let your stepdaughter have fun painting it with the design and color of her choice. If you can't get it to a sandblasting place you could use a grinder....not pleasant.
Also it looks like a design that might sail very well with the keel always in the up position. She will not point as well but it might make things simpler for you. I assume that the hull is sound so you might want to assess the cost of replacing the rigging before proceeding. The boat will be a learning experience, that's why we call them her.
Good luck.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Save the gelcoat repairs for much later. First priority is to make her safe and seaworthy, second get out and sail then get everthing "purrity".

May 4, 2017
I have been noticing that some boats are for fresh water only. What would dictate that? I mean I have seen John boats in saltwater and fresh.

May 4, 2017
Well it looks like you are into it. The winch is just a trailer winch and cheap to replace or you could spend hours refinishing it and then replace the cable.
The keel is most interesting. I have never seen one like it. It looks to be a hollow iron sleeve bolted with stainless to a solid iron upper arm again bolted with stainless to a iron stub keel. The iron to stainless points are all areas of possible problems. I would sand blast it to bare metal then call West Epoxy Systems on best way to epoxy it, then let your stepdaughter have fun painting it with the design and color of her choice. If you can't get it to a sandblasting place you could use a grinder....not pleasant.
Also it looks like a design that might sail very well with the keel always in the up position. She will not point as well but it might make things simpler for you. I assume that the hull is sound so you might want to assess the cost of replacing the rigging before proceeding. The boat will be a learning experience, that's why we call them her.
Good luck.
LOL!!!! Well "She" doesn't have a name yet but I'm sure after all of this she will get one that will fit her nicely. So, should I take it off to have it sandblasted?
You said "Also it looks like a design that might sail very well with the keel always in the up position. She will not point as well but it might make things simpler for you." I noticed that the keel leading edge was very thick and I have been thinking to ask if I were to modify the hull by adding a more water dynamic leading edge that would allow the water to flow better around the keel would that help or create issues? I am good with fiberglass and the thought of adding stern type keels was also questioned. BUT, as you said. I should make er seaworthy first then see about the other issues later.:thumbup::thumbup: