Fraying Fiberglass on rudder... what to do now?

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Hi all... After pulling my h34 out the other day I noticed (see picture) that the fiberglass is fraying at the top of the rudder..... Do I need to drop the rudder? can I simply seal it all with epoxy? Any thoughts would be appreciated....

Attachments

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
It doesn't look like fraying fiberglass to me. It looks more like marine growth. Clean it up well to see what's really going on.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
From the picture, it looks more like marine growth to me, not fiberglass.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I agree. That's a notorious area for marine growth since it's hard to clean. I would get in there with a spatula, one of those broad putty knives or even a hack saw blade and see what you can do. Turn the rudder to get it away from the hull. Wear gloves - barnacles will cut the hell out of your fingers.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
There's a tube worm that makes a white calcium based case that would look very much like fraying FG, I agree it looks like growth.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
I will take a closer look... I pulled on one of those "threads" and it appeared to be fiberglass strands. Thanks for the quick replies, I'll update after I've been back in the boat yard tomorrow... Thanks... Jon

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
If it's glass and it's fraying, then it will pull a tad and then essentially stop pulling. That picture looks like glass, but the hockey pool is stacked against you.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
So my question is... if it's glass what can I just seal it with epoxy or do I need to drop the rudder... Thanks..

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I agree it looks like marine stuff.. but if it is glass, it would be best to drop rudder a foot or so to make it easier to get a good repair... Not to say it can't happen, but there is nothing there that should be fraying the 'glass.. That would be a prime place to catch fishing lines.. ;)

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
I agree it looks like marine stuff.. but if it is glass, it would be best to drop rudder a foot or so to make it easier to get a good repair... Not to say it can't happen, but there is nothing there that should be fraying the 'glass.. That would be a prime place to catch fishing lines.. ;)
Claude.. Thanks! Any idea how I go about dropping the rudder a foot or so?????????? Thanks! Jon

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
If you do decide to drop your rudder completely, put a large nylon (or like material) washer on your rudder post. It will prevent the rudder from hitting the hull in the event of a grounding. There doesn't appear to be one there now but it's difficult to see with that marine growth in the way. Just check to be sure it's there. Almost all builders install the washer but a previous owner may have screwed with it in the past.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
P7100344.JPG Jon, the process is kinda straightforward.. The thrust collar inside the Lazarette has to be loosened and any burrs smoothed.. then the wheel that the steering cables attach to has to be loosened and the rudder should slide down until it hits the ground.. it should be supported so it doesn't drop.. it'll be heavier than you think it might be... Concept is good, but there have been reports of the cable wheel being very hard to loosen and the one through bolt in the wheel that goes through the rudder stock being hard to get out.. Maybe let it hang on the thrust collar until the wheel is free and the bolt out.. I have not done it, but those items are what hold it up in the boat.. Good luck.. Pictures !

Last edited:

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Thanks Ted, will do on the Nylon... and as always.. thank you Claude... If I do it.. I'll post pictures.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
After a good cleaning, the fiberglass was simply marine growth and most of you stated.... however, as you can see there are a few areas where the fiberglass is showing... that will be covered with a barrier paint or epoxy before painting.... So, I'm not going to drop the rudder... for the moment.... Thank you to all who responded... -Jon

Attachments

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
After a good cleaning, the fiberglass was simply marine growth and most of you stated.... however, as you can see there are a few areas where the fiberglass is showing... that will be covered with a barrier paint or epoxy before painting.... So, I'm not going to drop the rudder... for the moment.... Thank you to all who responded... -Jon
Once repainted, just make sure you or your diver keep an eye on that location. it is easy to miss when scrubbing the bottom. I ended up with an oyster growing there that I had to chip out.