Fractional or full jib on 1980 - 36

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36_1980 Bass River, NJ
I am the 3rd owner of Trinity, do not know if jib is original, my question is the length of
the 110 jib on it's forestay. My Jib is on a leader cable which brings it about 4 ft. short of the top of forestay. My 135 Genny is the full length of forestay. I have been considering a new Jib due to it's condition and trying to find out if this is original design or a second sail that may not of been of proper length ? The sailing performance seems ok, just don't know if increasing the size - length of luff would translate to slightly more sail area and make a difference in sail performance. What is the setup's of your 36 Cheribini's Jib & Genny. Hard to find any original information or sail plan.
Thank you
joe
s/v Trinity

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Joe, if you click on my name here and then on the Albums page there is a picture of our boat with the full-hoist 95% jib with it's all-important three vertical battens. In 2012 this replaced our 135% that served us well for many years. Yes, we do lose some drive below 8 kts true, but not as much as you might imagine. This jib is a composite from North Sails. Excellent shape, and the "normal" luff that you get with battens gives it power in the top two thirds much more like a 110%.
FWIW, our rig type is just about 50-50 between main area and foretriangle area. Nothing extreme either way.

I wish I had made this upgrade a lot sooner. Sheeting is now fast and easy. This put the OEM forward short tracks to work, and now sheets inside the shroud bases. Did I mention how totally easy it is sail the boat? :)
Oh yes indeedy.
:)

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Our 1980-82 Cherubini Hunter 36's are "mast head" rigged.

The luff length of all jibs should be as per spec: That would to the max of the forestay/masthead anchor point .... less some inches for luff stretch and for the furler head swivel unit (per the furler manufacture's instructions). Your sail loft can assist with the specifics.

My guess is that your current 110 jib on it's 4' pennant was an second hand "opportunity" find by a PO.

My suggestion for a new replacement is to go with a full luff length jib. Presuming that you have a furler, then in heavy winds you can take it in a few turns.

I sail on San Francisco Bay. Where winds are often in the 25-30 knot range. For my new jib a few years ago, I opted for a 105. It's luff is max for the fore stay length. Has worked very well even when fully deployed in heavy winds in conjunction with the main sail on it's second reef point. Over about 35 kts, then I use the furler to reduce the sail area.

For masthead rigged boats, where the mast is located further back, it's the jib that dominates the power profile. For a fractional rigged boat, where the mast is located further forward, its the main sail the dominates. That is why when a masthead rigged boat is sailing on only one sail, its the jib. When a fractional is sailing on one sail normally it's the main sail.

For my mast head Cherubini Hunter 36, a few times I have experimented sailing only on the main sail. Does ok sailing down wind. But anything into the wind, the boat is a pathetic dog. Won't point. Speed is dismal. But on the jib only, particularly in stronger winds, the boat seems to perform only slightly less than with both sails up.

Jan 22, 2008
Thank you both for the replies, I thought my sail was not original . Now I have some direction and can increase performance
with your suggestions. Enjoy the remainder of Fall Sailing !
Joe
s/v trinity

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
Funnily enough, mine came with an undersized jib as well - 5' leader on it.
I replaced it with a full hoist 115% last year. As rardi said, no reason it shouldn't be the full forestay length.

Jan 22, 2008
I might imagine there may be a few rigged as such. Yet, as posted, a less efficient sail ?!
Just wondering why this would be so if that is not the design intent ?
Anyway, I begin the process of improving sail performance and will put a few other projects
behind this one. Was out last Sunday on Great Bay in NJ. Winds were 18 to 25k. Beautiful fall
sailing day . Aside from quite a few stripper fisherman. Just a few of us sailing.
Happy Sailing !

Joe
s/v Trinity

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
In my case I think they had lost the original foresail and just jammed on anything it would fit.
I got her from a marina that had seized the boat years before after the guy ripped them off.