Fouled prop

Dec 16, 2018
Catalina 310 Newport
Hello my fellow sailors. My husband and I are new owners of a Catalina 310 and the last two times we have gone to anchor our anchor line has gone between the keel and propeller and wrapped around the propeller requiring us to manually go under the boat and untangle / cut the line. Both times we have been in the Moreton Bay and the tides / currents are swirling. So we have thought we were anchored down current of the line but we have swung around. This is becoming costly and frustrating and in yesterday’s event quite unsafe ( where we required a sea rescue as the motor wouldn’t start and with no anchor and no engine we were in a bit of trouble ) we feel like we are doing something wrong so any help / advise will be gratefully received. Thank you

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
ASA teaches a variety of anchoring techniques for various weather and tidal situations. Per your description, the tide is turning and running you over your line, which is the catching on your keel and prop. ASA would show you a proper anchor scheme for tidal currents. Check out their literature. It is easy to understand.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Sometimes a smaller stern anchor (lunch hook) is called for.. Before starting the engine, look at the anchor line to see where it is going .. sometimes you can use a boathook to clear it from the rudder.. If in doubt, you can turn the propeller shaft by hand (engine off) to feel if the line has gotten into the prop..

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
And really, you should ALWAYS have a second anchor and rode. Always, because even with perfect technique, the anchor can snag under something or become damaged.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Morning @Houghto
Anchoring sounds so easy. It is as much a skill as an art. And the simplicity
  1. Put a weight on the bottom
  2. Tie a line to it
  3. Tie line to boat
can be fraught with problems.

A kettle maybe a help in the situation you described. Here is what it looks like. In this image the rode is tied to the stern. It can also be the bow.
159651DE-61D6-4B5C-9721-3423ADF3B310.png

A big part of anchoring is choosing the location. Tides, winds, chop, types of bottom etc all play a role in making your stopover a pleasant or nightmare experience.

Experience is also a big part. Only way to get it is to anchor often.

Perhaps trying to find a location that has fewer changing factors like wind and tide will help to build your skills with less drama.

You shared your boat. What about the equipment- rode, chain, anchor type, size, lengths, etc. while there are many options sometimes there are better or worse combinations.

You’ll also find, even here, many opinions. Especially about anchors and anchoring.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
+1 for kellet. Simple fix will allow your boat to swing with the currents without wrapping the anchor rode around anything under the boat. We use a 10 lb. mushroom anchor with a 15' 1/4" line and snap clip. Clip to anchor rode after anchor is set and lower. Has never failed us. Look around your anchorages and you will see that nearly everyone with a sailboat has deployed one.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
A length of heavy chain can be used as a kellet without the handling problems (feeds over the bow roller). I've used 15' of 5/16" chain, gathered in loops and attached with a prusik hitch.

On many boats, reaching forward of the roller to attach something with some weight to the rode can be quite acrobatic.

I don't use it for tangles; if I foresee that problem I lift the rudder and CB. However, I do us one to make the boat swing more like boats with all chain. For that purpose, you deploy it farther out, perhaps 20-40' from the boat, so it drags on the bottom.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Some places are better to anchor in than others. The bottoms are different, sea conditions, and boat type can make what looks a perfect place on the charts a poor decision that one can make. We’ve (meaning me not my wife who can sleep through a gale) been awakened during the night because the tide has turned and now our boat is rocking with the surge. Hope you find what works for you.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
+ 2 for the kellet.

The picture/drawing that jssailem posted does not show a line attached to the kellet to lower and retrieve it along the anchor rode. That line is vital to keep the kellet just below the bow of your boat. Without that line the kellet might slide farther along the anchor rode as the bow of the boat pulls on the anchor line. We have used the weight system frequently. In our case I made the system using a 5 pound window weight. Since the weight was a cylinder that is about 1.5 inches in diameter and approximately 15 inches long it never caught on obstructions under water. I usually set the weight at about the depth of the water below the bow of the boat. I tied the line for lowering and raising the kellet to a cleat or even to the bow rail at times. A bright colored line helped me or anyone else retrieving the anchor to realize that the kellet was there. A carabineer (sp?) was used to attach the line on the weight to the anchor line. It needs to be large enough to allow the weight to slide up and down freely. The extra line and weight stored easily in the anchor locker.

Admittedly, working over the bow pulpit did present some challenges, but far less trouble than trying to unwrap the anchor line from the prop, the keel, or the rudder. How do I know? Been there, done that twice before I built the kellet equipment.

I have not read the ASA anchoring information that agprice22 mentions, but I'm sure it would teach a ton of good information.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
+ 2 for the kellet.
In our case I made the system using a 5 pound window weight. Since the weight was a cylinder that is about 1.5 inches in diameter and approximately 15 inches long it never caught on obstructions under water.
I would say that there might be a few who have never seen a window counterweight, do you happen to have a picture?

Aug 2, 2005
I would say that there might be a few who have never seen a window counterweight, do you happen to have a picture?
Thanks for your observation All You Get. At 70 years of age I never thought of that! I like to believe that others know at least as much as I do. I'll post a picture later after I find the ones I have in the garage.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Anchor around the keel happened to me once. I was anchored in shallow water and a strong current. Around the propeller I don’t understand unless you where in very shallow water with floating anchor line or deployed from the stern.
If you anchor in 20-30 feet of water, pay attention to current and deploy 5-7 scope you should be fine.
Also, don’t start your engine until you know where your anchor line is.

Aug 2, 2005
The counter weights were used in old wooden double hung windows. Two cast iron weights per sash. Helped raise the window and hold the sash at the height you wanted. One is in original condition and the second is painted to be used as I described in the earlier post. After we replaced the windows in our old farm house (32 years ago) we had many of these weights available. Although I no longer have a complete set, I made sets of the kellet arrangement for people at our marina. Low cost equipment that worked! I'm keeping these in case I (we) buy another cruising boat. BTW.....I would have a difficult time walking away from an IP 35 K/CB model!!!

DSCN2652.JPG

Oct 2, 2008
The counter weights were used in old wooden double hung windows. Two cast iron weights per sash. Helped raise the window and hold the sash at the height you wanted. One is in original condition and the second is painted to be used as I described in the earlier post. After we replaced the windows in our old farm house (32 years ago) we had many of these weights available. Although I no longer have a complete set, I made sets of the kellet arrangement for people at our marina. Low cost equipment that worked! I'm keeping these in case I (we) buy another cruising boat. BTW.....I would have a difficult time walking away from an IP 35 K/CB model!!!

View attachment 162889
Once folks around town discovered I knew how to fix them, I had plenty of sash requests. I don’t think I have a single weight left, but I made a kellet out of an old extinguisher bottle and some lead and chain. Small but weighs over 40 lbs. Haven’t used it yet.