Registered users don't see ads

forward, neutral, reverse?

Discussion in 'Catalina 30' started by gfroch, Jun 1, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. gfroch

gfroch

Joined Jun 5, 2004
    48 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 30
    US Rochester, NY
    Just out of interest, what is the preference for position of shifter when under sail? I've heard arguments for forward, neutral and reverse.

2. Don S/V ILLusion

Don S/V ILLusion

Joined Sep 25, 2008
    4,989 posts, 240 likes
    Alden 50
    US Sarasota, Florida
    There are a huge number of threads here which address that. It's not a matter of preference or opinion. The transmission manufacturers all clearly state what you should do. What transmission do you have?

3. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    2,319 posts, 180 likes
    Tartan 3800
    US Westport, MA
    The only correct answer to this, other than leaving it in neutral, comes from the gear's manufacturer. For example, Hirth specifies reverse, and I think says you can damage the gear by leaving it in forward. JS specifies forward, and says you can damage it leaving it in reverse.

4. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,171 posts, 1,642 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    It may be different for the different engines and transmissions. Always review your action in light of the recommendations of your product manufacturer.
    J S AND B W
    TRANSMISSION

SAILING OPERATION
    It is recommended the transmission be left in NEUTRAL position while sailing.
    Leaving the transmission in NEUTRAL while sailing alleviates unnecessary drag on the vessel because the propeller is able to freewheel (spin).
    However, to stop the propeller shaft from rotating while under sail, place the transmission in REVERSE.

5. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    2,319 posts, 180 likes
    Tartan 3800
    US Westport, MA
    The manual for my Westerbeke 38B with JS gear says this:
    Sailing Operation

The JS transmission should be left in NEUTRAL while sailing. Leaving the transmission in NEUTRAL while sailing alleviates unnecessary drag on the vessel because the propeller is able to freewheel (spin). However, to lock the propeller shaft and to prevent it from rotating, place the transmission into FORWARD gear.

First, their assertion that allowing the prop to spin produces less drag is debatable; but in my case, with a Max-Prop, I will using neutral gear when sailing, after making sure the prop is feathered.

6. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    1,930 posts, 482 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    I found this info in a post by @Maine Sail in another forum ragarding all Yanmar/ Kanzaki transmissions

7. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    4,535 posts, 672 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS
    If you have a folding prop it probably doesn't matter

8. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    1,496 posts, 459 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    Universal / Hurth says neutral or reverse. Reverse is quieter but more drag.

9. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,171 posts, 1,642 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    The documentation on my Borg Warner transmission from 1973 says "Do what ever pleases you.. "
    The transmission is oil cooled so the prop when sailing can be in or out of gear.​

10. Maine Sail

Maine Sail Moderator

Joined Feb 6, 1998
    10,617 posts, 469 likes
    Canadian Sailcraft 36T
    US Casco Bay, ME
    What gear box do you have?

NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.