Registered users don't see ads

forward, neutral, reverse?

Discussion in 'Catalina 30' started by gfroch, Jun 1, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. gfroch

gfroch

Joined Jun 5, 2004
    50 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 30
    US Rochester, NY
    Just out of interest, what is the preference for position of shifter when under sail? I've heard arguments for forward, neutral and reverse.

2. Don S/V ILLusion

Don S/V ILLusion

Joined Sep 25, 2008
    5,051 posts, 273 likes
    Alden 50
    US Sarasota, Florida
    There are a huge number of threads here which address that. It's not a matter of preference or opinion. The transmission manufacturers all clearly state what you should do. What transmission do you have?

3. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    2,844 posts, 326 likes
    Tartan 3800
    US Westport, MA
    The only correct answer to this, other than leaving it in neutral, comes from the gear's manufacturer. For example, Hirth specifies reverse, and I think says you can damage the gear by leaving it in forward. JS specifies forward, and says you can damage it leaving it in reverse.

4. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,897 posts, 2,061 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    It may be different for the different engines and transmissions. Always review your action in light of the recommendations of your product manufacturer.
    J S AND B W
    TRANSMISSION

SAILING OPERATION
    It is recommended the transmission be left in NEUTRAL position while sailing.
    Leaving the transmission in NEUTRAL while sailing alleviates unnecessary drag on the vessel because the propeller is able to freewheel (spin).
    However, to stop the propeller shaft from rotating while under sail, place the transmission in REVERSE.

5. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    2,844 posts, 326 likes
    Tartan 3800
    US Westport, MA
    The manual for my Westerbeke 38B with JS gear says this:
    Sailing Operation

The JS transmission should be left in NEUTRAL while sailing. Leaving the transmission in NEUTRAL while sailing alleviates unnecessary drag on the vessel because the propeller is able to freewheel (spin). However, to lock the propeller shaft and to prevent it from rotating, place the transmission into FORWARD gear.

First, their assertion that allowing the prop to spin produces less drag is debatable; but in my case, with a Max-Prop, I will using neutral gear when sailing, after making sure the prop is feathered.

6. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    2,102 posts, 551 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    I found this info in a post by @Maine Sail in another forum ragarding all Yanmar/ Kanzaki transmissions

7. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    4,625 posts, 701 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS
    If you have a folding prop it probably doesn't matter

8. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    1,673 posts, 565 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    Universal / Hurth says neutral or reverse. Reverse is quieter but more drag.

9. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,897 posts, 2,061 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    The documentation on my Borg Warner transmission from 1973 says "Do what ever pleases you.. "
    The transmission is oil cooled so the prop when sailing can be in or out of gear.​

10. Maine Sail

Maine Sail Moderator

Joined Feb 6, 1998
    10,686 posts, 518 likes
    Canadian Sailcraft 36T
    US Casco Bay, ME
    What gear box do you have?

11. gfroch

gfroch

Joined Jun 5, 2004
    50 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 30
    US Rochester, NY
    Sorry for delay in answering...long story.

I have a Hurth transmission but I do not have the owners manual. So it seems that the preference for Hurth is reverse or neutral?

Thank you for all the answers...

12. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    19,907 posts, 575 likes
    Catalina 34
    224 CA Maple Bay, BC, Canada

13. gfroch

gfroch

Joined Jun 5, 2004
    50 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 30
    US Rochester, NY
    Thank you Stu

14. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    1,024 posts, 488 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
    john, i too have the perkins 107 with the velvet drive 43c, borg warner. my book says that because it is oil cooled and that the oil is not pumping when the engine is off that i must lock the shaft while sailing. there is a brake on the shaft. mine may be a few years older. just passing that along if that might mean something to you. aeolus has a full keel with a two bladed sailing prop that we set the prop vertically in the aperture of the attached rudder while sailing, there by almost zero drag from the prop. very old school.

note. the tranny came as a 43a but i had it upgraded to the c during my last rebuild. same case, just more plates, same price on the rebuild.

15. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,897 posts, 2,061 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    Jon. Good to know there is someone I can ask questions about the 4107. I have had to look up everything no manuals came with the boat. The tranny has likely not been worked on since it was installed. The Perkins was the same story. A Mechanic took a look at it last January and the word was "if it is working don't mess with it." I suspect I leak a couple of ounces of Tranny oil. I have tried to stop the oil and fuel leaks that the engine came with. It has taken a while but they are currently leak free. I just changed the prop from a Michigan Wheel to a Campbell Sailor. When I cruised in May with the new prop I was very pleased. Improved speed and less drag. I let the tranny rotate as even in gear it tends to spin. The manual suggested it is not an issue. I just am not sure I have the correct manual. There is no brake on the shaft. The new prop has reduced the drag and I get about .75 better in speed when sailing.

Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!