forward, neutral, reverse?

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 Rochester, NY
Just out of interest, what is the preference for position of shifter when under sail? I've heard arguments for forward, neutral and reverse.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Just out of interest, what is the preference for position of shifter when under sail? I've heard arguments for forward, neutral and reverse.
There are a huge number of threads here which address that. It's not a matter of preference or opinion. The transmission manufacturers all clearly state what you should do. What transmission do you have?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
The only correct answer to this, other than leaving it in neutral, comes from the gear's manufacturer. For example, Hirth specifies reverse, and I think says you can damage the gear by leaving it in forward. JS specifies forward, and says you can damage it leaving it in reverse.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
JS specifies forward, and says you can damage it leaving it in reverse.
It may be different for the different engines and transmissions. Always review your action in light of the recommendations of your product manufacturer.
J S AND B W
TRANSMISSION

SAILING OPERATION
It is recommended the transmission be left in NEUTRAL position while sailing.
Leaving the transmission in NEUTRAL while sailing alleviates unnecessary drag on the vessel because the propeller is able to freewheel (spin).
However, to stop the propeller shaft from rotating while under sail, place the transmission in REVERSE.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
The manual for my Westerbeke 38B with JS gear says this:
Sailing Operation

The JS transmission should be left in NEUTRAL while sailing. Leaving the transmission in NEUTRAL while sailing alleviates unnecessary drag on the vessel because the propeller is able to freewheel (spin). However, to lock the propeller shaft and to prevent it from rotating, place the transmission into FORWARD gear.

First, their assertion that allowing the prop to spin produces less drag is debatable; but in my case, with a Max-Prop, I will using neutral gear when sailing, after making sure the prop is feathered.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I found this info in a post by @Maine Sail in another forum ragarding all Yanmar/ Kanzaki transmissions

Advisory Number: MSA08-003:

DATE February 8, 2008 Dealers and OEMs
TO: All Marine Distributors
SUBJECT: Gear in Neutral While Sailing All MODELS:

All Sailboat Engines

We continue to get questions regarding the correct gear position while sailing with the engine OFF. This advisory is issued as a reminder; Yanmar requires that if sailing with the engine OFF (not running) the transmission shifter must be in the neutral position or internal damage to the gear or sail-drive will result. This damage will not be covered by Yanmar’s Limited Warranty. Please instruct customers and dealers who deliver the sailboat to the customer, of the correct (Neutral) position for the marine gear while sailing.

If the customer desires that the propeller shaft not spin while sailing, either a folding propeller, shaft break, or other suitable device may be used. However, Yanmar accepts no responsibility for the selection, installation, or operation of such devices. Please also refer to Marine service advisory “MSA07-001_Yanmar Sail Drive Propeller Selection” for additional information.

If you have any questions regarding this advisory please contact a Customer Support representative.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Universal / Hurth says neutral or reverse. Reverse is quieter but more drag.

Oct 22, 2014
The documentation on my Borg Warner transmission from 1973 says "Do what ever pleases you.. "
The transmission is oil cooled so the prop when sailing can be in or out of gear.​

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
What gear box do you have?

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 Rochester, NY
Sorry for delay in answering...long story.

I have a Hurth transmission but I do not have the owners manual. So it seems that the preference for Hurth is reverse or neutral?

Thank you for all the answers...

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
john, i too have the perkins 107 with the velvet drive 43c, borg warner. my book says that because it is oil cooled and that the oil is not pumping when the engine is off that i must lock the shaft while sailing. there is a brake on the shaft. mine may be a few years older. just passing that along if that might mean something to you. aeolus has a full keel with a two bladed sailing prop that we set the prop vertically in the aperture of the attached rudder while sailing, there by almost zero drag from the prop. very old school.

note. the tranny came as a 43a but i had it upgraded to the c during my last rebuild. same case, just more plates, same price on the rebuild.

Oct 22, 2014
Jon. Good to know there is someone I can ask questions about the 4107. I have had to look up everything no manuals came with the boat. The tranny has likely not been worked on since it was installed. The Perkins was the same story. A Mechanic took a look at it last January and the word was "if it is working don't mess with it." I suspect I leak a couple of ounces of Tranny oil. I have tried to stop the oil and fuel leaks that the engine came with. It has taken a while but they are currently leak free. I just changed the prop from a Michigan Wheel to a Campbell Sailor. When I cruised in May with the new prop I was very pleased. Improved speed and less drag. I let the tranny rotate as even in gear it tends to spin. The manual suggested it is not an issue. I just am not sure I have the correct manual. There is no brake on the shaft. The new prop has reduced the drag and I get about .75 better in speed when sailing.