Forum questions, comments, and complaints

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Please do something about double posts. Such as when a poster asks a question on the ask all sailors forum and asks the exact question on a brand specific forum.
They make it impossible to follow or reply to as they prevent a logical and un fragmented discussion of a topic. They also make future searches very difficult. As most people likely follow the all discussion list they are not necessary and likley lead to fewer responses. I never respond to one as I can never tell which one to follow. They usually come from inexperienced posters who are not aware they will receive less information by double posting. It certainly can't help the forum much.
There must be a way.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Best thing to do is report them to us and we will merge the 2 threads into one. I do this quite often, but don't always see them. I don't think there is any setting on the forum software to work around this.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Would you please tell me how to post a mp4 video clip that is less than 2.4MB in a way that displays the clip similar to a jpg photo? Currently, to view the clip the reader must download the clip to watch it.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I could swear we installed a way to do that, but I can't find any mention of it in the forum. Man, I'm getting old! Anybody recall if we have a rag for that?

Is the file online somewhere now or are you uploading it here?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Thanks Phil.. I got a PM from DArcy and he told me the same info. Glad it was not a conspiracy involving our Canadian Friends... :biggrin:
PM tariff. Wait for it. :)
(and, for the record, that's PM as in afternoon, and tariff involves consumables, so don't be suggesting we're flirting with politics)

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Phil, I'm trying to download a mp4 file from my computer to a posting just like I do with a jpg file. It will download okay, but in order to play a reader must upload it first. I thought it would work just like a jpg file once posted, it appears.

Similar to when I upload a YouTube file to a posting, the file image appears with a play button, you press the play button in order to begin the clip. Should work the same way with a mp4 file that I upload from my computer, maybe? https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/winter-cruise.190186/page-3

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Meriachee It would appear you failed to get all of the messages that created the context before the test identifying your concern about the use of PM.
I am aware that Canada has a PM and that the Folks in India are a bit miffed...

But That is not in my thinking or messaging. I was referring to the difficult time I had trying to send DArcy (A fine Canadian) a PM (Private Message - see forum message #433).
True to Form - Phil was quick as a bunny to see, identify, and correct the gremlin that was infecting DArcy's full use of SBO forums.

I return you to previously scheduled broadcasting.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I lost all my pic links in the great Photo Bucket scandal of 2017. I want to restore all the photos to my C-22 Restoration Thread, but isn't downloading all the pics directly to the forum page going to cause an issue? I will try my best to resize the photos as small as possible. Maybe I should find another photo host instead?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That has merit Kermit. Do you think with such stardom might come the responsibility to treat all members of SBO that show up to a brew?

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
My vote for beer time is number four. In fact I want it for my avitar!

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I could swear we installed a way to do that, but I can't find any mention of it in the forum. Man, I'm getting old! Anybody recall if we have a rag for that?

A tag! I meant a tag!

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I lost all my pic links in the great Photo Bucket scandal of 2017. I want to restore all the photos to my C-22 Restoration Thread, but isn't downloading all the pics directly to the forum page going to cause an issue? I will try my best to resize the photos as small as possible. Maybe I should find another photo host instead?
I am not unbiased in this opinion, but I think it's best to upload them here. These photo hosting sites get sold, closed, converted, and over the course a few years the images vanish and the thread here has broken links.

Yeah, that's happened here once or twice too, but we have incentive to keep the photos alive.

I think uploaded images can be a couple of Mb each -- if yours are big I'll look up the exact limitations for you. That's a great thread and I would hate to lose it.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Hi Phil, I'm trying to download a mp4 file from my computer to a posting just like I do with a jpg file. It will download okay, but in order to play a reader must upload it first. I thought it would work just like a jpg file once posted, it appears.

Similar to when I upload a YouTube file to a posting, the file image appears with a play button, you press the play button in order to begin the clip. Should work the same way with a mp4 file that I upload from my computer, maybe? https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/winter-cruise.190186/page-3
@Terry Cox -- thanks! If you upload them, this software is designed to treat it as a download, like it would a pdf file. I don't think it's smart enough to grab an image to display as a thumbnail from an mp4, but I will do exactly what you want if the video is hosted on YouTube or Vimeo, and you use the little film icon in the tool bar.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Would it be possible to have a preference or cookie to hide the "check out our legacy New Posts list" notification? It's not a big deal but on mobile it's some wasted screen space and doesn't blend nicely with the rest of the design.