Fort Myers Florida sailors....

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
I am planning to retire next summer (2019) in Fort Myers. I bought a home there several years ago, making the move from Long Island to Florida and very much looking forward to it. I'll be bringing my Catalina 30 along as well, most likely having it transported. I won't have the time/weather window to sail down.
I am planning a trip down in the beginning of February next year looking for a marina(s) to have it delivered to. I need a full service marina that can step the mast and launch. I was thinking of keeping the boat a bit further north eventually ending up in the Charlotte Harbor area but I'm thinking for now keeping the boat near in Fort Myers and exploring Sanibel and Captiva.

Can any of you guys/gals recommend a couple reliable marinas for me to take a look at when I come down in Feb?
In addition any comments on the sailing in this area (Fort Myers) would be appreciated.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Ft Myers is 25 miles up river (Caloosahatchee) from gulf and it is a mile wide and an inch deep, well ok in channel but very shallow elsewhere so local knowledge is essential. Beyond Ft myers it is channel only for any thing drawing more than about 2 feet and much narrower all the way to Lake Okeechobee.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Axel,
With all due respect to Jacktar's post and opinion, I would like to offer several ideas. The Caloosahatchee seems wide and shallow but there are very navigable channels to marinas. (I think Jacktar meant 2.5 miles up the river.)

Along the Fort Myers Area and the Caloosahatchee River there are several marinas that can accommodate your unloading and stepping the mast. We used one for just such an activity when we bought an Oday 34 in Cape Coral and trucked her to MD about 10 years ago. Fort Myers Beach (Estero Island) is the first area with marinas inside Matansas Pass. Farther up the actual river is Cape Coral with a municipal marina, but it has no haul out and storage or work facilities. The marina we used is opposite of Cape Coral, but I can't remember the name. I'll look for it a bit later and post its name.

In Charlotte Harbor you will find All American Boat Storage (name may have changed....it is near South Gulf Cove) which is a great summer storage facility and Charlotte Harbor Marina (?) which is next to it. Both of those are inside canal waters that can be traveled with draft up to 5.5 or 6 feet by playing the tide at the entrance to the canals. Each storage place is very well run.

Also, check out Caloosahatchee Marching and Chowder Society as a source of information and sailing companions. Very active group with a website you can access without being a member. Best Wishes.

Last edited: