forestay connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Serendipity

Purchased '93 Hunter 23.5 in April. Having difficulty connecting forestay pin. I use winch block & tackle system (mast raising tube). I use gin pole, 10 degrees aft, tighten jib halyard to mast cleat, other side to anchor locker with block & tackle. Tightened blocks until blocks are nearly touching, but forestay pin still lacks 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch to insert. Pushing and leaning on the mast does not bring pin closer to connect. I considered adding an extension fitting on forestay, but didn't know if addition would be too much slack. Is pin forestay always very difficult to connect? Philip

C

Cap'n Ron

Backstay?

This should not be hard to do? Do you have slack in the backstay rig screw? Yes, you can always lengthen it, I have used chain but sounds like a elongated shackle would do for your problem. Is the mast okay when all is finally set up? There would be slack to tighten up from your turnbuckles all round. Is the stay running clean to the masthead, or tang (a fractional). There is normally plenty of room below the jib as it has a wire extension from the foot cringle here on luff, just make sure your mast is in colum. Read "The Riggers Apprentice" Brian Toss it covers all this sort of 'stuff' for beggining rigging or "issues" whilst putting her together.

S

Serendipity

Thanks Capt Ron

Thanks Capt Ron. We ARE beginners. Hunter 23.5 has no backstay, and we did check shrouds... they're tight, and mast is good in step when set, and stay not tangled to masthead. We may try enlongated shackle next time. Thanks for the reference to reading - "Riggers Apprentice" - - we'll check it out. Fairweather Sailing To You! Philip

Oct 19, 2006
Hunter 27-3 Brownsville, VT/Mystic, CT
We adjust the turnbuckle

It's a PIA, but the PO of our new-to-us '93 23.5 said just to lengthen the turnbuckle to the max, then crank it back down after it's attached. Make sure to mark it somehow so it's always the same length/tension. To be candid, I'd like to find an easier way myself. As a weekend trailer-sailer anything to make set-up faster is better!

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Phillip, tyrya rolling hitch on the forestay with

the standing part led through a block and back to a winch. That should allow you to apply enough force to bring the forestay to the stem. If your shrouds are swept back loosing those turnbuckles will allow the mast to move forward also.

Apr 26, 2007
- - PORT ST LUCIE FL
Man just lean the gin pole back alittle farther and shorten the jib halyard. You only need to have a little more room to pull the mast forward. Tom T.

Status
Not open for further replies.