Forestay and roller furler question on O'Day 23

Aug 12, 2011
ODay Ospray & 23 Calverton
The forestay on my O'Day 23 has released at the bow and slipped up the roller furler tube about 19". The base of the roller furler is attached to bow and the tack of the jib is attached to the base of the roller furler, so it appears to me that the roller furler, jib & jib halyard are providing the support that the head stay should.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the forestay down out of the roller furler tube without taking the mast down?

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
I have an O'Day 23 and would love to assist but am having a hard time picturing your setup. Do you have a pic available? Does your forestay not come down through the furler drum? What is making you think that the forestay has slid up the tube? Where is the slack going? Out by the top of the mast? If you can provide a little more info.... I will try and help.

Jan 22, 2007
Oday 23 Cedar Creek Marina Bayville NJ
I too am having a bit of difficulty picturing what you describe. If your fore-stay slipped up the tube, I would think the turnbuckle unscrewed itself or the fore stay broke. You are in grave danger of getting demasted. Run one of your halyards to the bow pulpit until you can figure out what is going on.

Aug 12, 2011
ODay Ospray & 23 Calverton
Thank you for your responses. I figured out the problem. After taking the jib off the roller furler, I was able to disassemble the lower portion of the roller furler. The turnbuckle at the bottom of the forestay had spun out and vanished. I replaced the turnbuckle and was able to reassemble everything and get back up & running.