Registered users don't see ads

Foot bracing?

Discussion in 'Day Sailers' started by SFKjeld, Jul 25, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. SFKjeld

SFKjeld

Joined Mar 9, 2015
    167 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Alameda Ca.
    I don't know what the blue bracing running on the floor of the cockpit is called. The sailer uses it to hook is his feet in when heeling. Seems like a good idea. IMG_1555.JPG

2. LakeShark

LakeShark

Joined Sep 15, 2016
    224 posts, 42 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Minnesota Minnesota
    They are called Hiking Straps. On smaller unballasted daysailers they are not only a good idea but a necessity to keep the boat upright and sailing fast!

3. usererror

usererror

Joined Oct 26, 2011
    11 posts, 1 likes
    Hunter 140
    US Petoskey, MI
    I'd like one of these on my 140!!

4. SFKjeld

SFKjeld

Joined Mar 9, 2015
    167 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Alameda Ca.
    I found 27" generic hiking straps. But usually they are sold by boat model. And I haven't seen any for Hunters, including in the Hunter store. I'll probably order one and try to make it work.

5. SFKjeld

SFKjeld

Joined Mar 9, 2015
    167 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Alameda Ca.

6. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,744 posts, 332 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    Due to the construction, I would not recommend hiking straps but this boat will sail faster flatter. In other words, you do not need to heel more than 12-14 degrees thru use of sail handling.

7. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    7,348 posts, 1,214 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Like every sailboat ever made, hiking will increase the righting moment, allowing the boat to sail flatter and faster.

8. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,744 posts, 332 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    @Jackdaw
    My concern is the anchoring safely of a hiking strap with this style construction boat. Concur with you on your assessment but it is the 3/16 inch ACP skin over construction foam as I call it with wood blocks encapsulated in the foam which concerns me. Folks I will admit the designs of the daysailors I liked but was concerned with the construction over fiberglass.

9. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    7,348 posts, 1,214 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Totally agree.

10. SFKjeld

SFKjeld

Joined Mar 9, 2015
    167 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Alameda Ca.
    Yeah, while I read extensively about these APC boats, I will probably regret buying one. It's gonna be a PITA. I bought it from the original owner in San Mateo, Ca. The boat has never been out of the Bay Area so I figured no temp extremes, so no cracks. Certainly none on the boat that I could find. Hope to get it on the water tomorrow. As a less than athletic 64 year old, will have to see how important the straps will be for me. Guessing they would be nice.

11. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,744 posts, 332 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    I found on the hunter daysailors I sailed faster flatter due to the design and felt hiking straps were not necessary but a hindrance in the cockpit if on any of them but what I stated previously, there is nothing more to say.

Hunter gaskets for all!
Gaskets for ports, hatches, latches, speaker pods, refrigerators, freezers, more.
Legend-era interior teak oil
Hunter's original interior teak finish on many boats from the 90's and earlier.
Hunter prop struts and shafts
Everything you need for your power train