Foot blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Hi all
We have a 2006 Catalina 309 #79 located in Sydney Australia
We've been club racing for a couple of seasons and find winching on the genoa tight, is back breaking!! The Foot blocks maybe the problem.
Has anyone had similar problems ??

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Do like the 310 folks do (who don't have foot blocks) and run the sheet directly to the winch and see how that is. Not envious, but they are nice.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Do the foot block run clean? Do they sheaves move easily? If not, contact Garhauer and get replacement parts as required.

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Thanks guys for the feed back
The sheaves seem very loose and screech when under load
Garhauer have told me to go back to Catalina, still waiting to hear from the dealer
Maybe we're just getting too competitive and need to ease off the sails a bit :)

Jun 7, 2004
Catalina 309 Ottawa
Hi,
The port foot block on my C309 has just started to squeak loudly when sailing in winds over 15K. I remembered your post on the same problem and wondered if you had an update on how you resolved the problem? When I spin the block under no load the port block is definitely rougher feeling than the starboard one.

Gary
C309 #136

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Hi Gary
First you can try washing them out with hot water to get rid of any salt build up, that seemed to improve things but didn't totally fix the problem
Be careful if you pull the block apart .. There's a 100 ball bearings loose in there!
Garhauer have now sent me new blocks, I haven't fitted them yet. The port one looks a bit tricky to replace ..
Both blocks are glued down and are a real bugger to get off
Cheers
Steve

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Why should you have to remove the block when only the sheave needs to be replaced? Have you sued water to clean? Have you used Sailkote to lubricate?

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Why should you have to remove the block when only the sheave needs to be replaced? Have you sued water to clean? Have you used Sailkote to lubricate?

The old sheaves have too much play and jamb under load, lubricant helped but didn't fix the problem with strong wind loads

The 100 little ball bearings are loose and not attached to the sheaves, consequently when you lift off the sheave you have to catch the 50 ball bearings under the sheave..!

That is an experience I should of put on Youtube :eek:

The ball bearings on the new blocks/sheaves seem to have an additional cover plate which may contain everything together and allow replacement.

I'll take a close look before pulling the rear cabin apart to get at the port block nuts

Jun 7, 2004
Catalina 309 Ottawa
Steve,

Thanks for the info. I sail in fresh water so I don't think that flushing will improve the block operation. I'll try and use some sailcoat but like you said I would expect that to be only a temporary fix. Like Stu said I would Like to only replace the sheave. That would allow the port and starboard foot blocks to still match without having to replace them both. Did Garhauer offer you that option? If you have a contact at Garhauer or any other info that would help my discussion with them - could you give that info in a private MSG. I checked out their online catalogue and none of the foot blocks match what I have.

Gary

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
The blocks aren't shown on their website so I sent these 2 photos to the agent in Australia
Luckily these blocks have a 10 year warranty so it only cost me postage to get 2 new ones :)

Attachments

Jun 7, 2004
Catalina 309 Ottawa
Steve,

Thanks for the info and photos. I'll give them a call and see how it goes.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.