Follow us on our trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Checking it all out and left a couple of comments. You are making better time than my wife and I did. We went back into a river half way up the Delaware, then Chesapeake City. We also docked more. So you will stay in Annapolis for awhile? Then on to Norfolk. Will you go offshore or stay in the ICW? I highly recommend the Dismal Swamp canal, a right turn just south of Norfolk. But in 2007 the two locks only opened at 0900 and 1500. If you make the 0900 then you can get to the other end by 1500. We were late and had to wait until 1500 for the north lock. We went into town and got groceries. Then we tied to the wall at the south lock until 0900 the next morning. There is also visitor's center halfway where lots of sailors spend the night. But then you have much to do before you get down there. Have fun, stay safe, and keep the pictures and blogs coming.

Sep 10, 2009
Hunter cutter 37 1981 St-lambert
We finally left Annapolis today, we had to stop the shopping spree, I should update my blog tonight or tomorrow. We are into Solomons Island Back Creek, anchored just beside the people from ActiveCaptain.com

We will probaly slow down a little, we have can't go lower than the 35th parallel before november 15th, the inurance won't insure us below that because of the hurricane season. We are not sure yet about the Dismal Swamp, it will depend on the weather. We also have to find a store that have Skipper Bob in stock, we don't have any guide for the ICW. Thankyou for your comment Ed and keep following us.

Phil

Sep 10, 2009
I finally had some time to update my blog today, make sure you have a look :)

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Re: your quest for a new water pump

Hi guys. I have been following your quest for a replacement water pump for the 3QM30 on your blog. I assume its the one with the pulley on the bottom right hand side of the engine that you are looking for? I do not presently have a problem with mine, but I have always thought that if I had to replace it, I would look for the cheapest generic that could be made to fit. Afterall, Hunter just drilled up a bracket out of a piece of angle iron, slapped on a pulley and belted it to the engine to make a "raw water" Yanmar into a "fresh watre cooled" unit using the Jabsco and a Sendur exchanger. For example, I can buy a 1/2" Fynspray pump (from New Zealand - very high quality) for about CDN $225 here in Nova Scotia. I KNOW I could make it fit!

Enjoying your blog. My boat comes out in 3 weeks. Wish I was heading South with you!

Jun 2, 2004
Just can't thank you enough for sharing your journey with us. Great video clips too. Sunday we sailed our last, in my Highlander on our small lake, and then brought the boat home for the winter. :( So I am relying on you for my sailing fix.

Sep 10, 2009
Oh, thanks for the comments Ed, I know what you are going through, at our marina the boat were hauled out on October 1st, we are glad we missed it this year.

I've been thinking about finding another pump, I might go that way. In Annapolis I came very close to buying two jabsco water pump, the model they fitted on the 3GM30. They weren't new, but in very good condition and both of them for only 50$... A custom braket and it we would have been alright for the rest of the trip. We will se some other flee market along the way and I won't miss such an opportunity twice.

Sep 10, 2009
Finally found some spare time (7pm to 3am) to put my blog up to date, I should post sailing pictures on there tomorrow too if I find some time :)

Sep 2, 2009
Hunter Vision-32 New Hamburg, NY
Philippe and Robert ... I AM SO JEALOUS! Sounds like you are having a great time. The pictures are fabulous! I can't wait to see what you do with your photographic skills in the Bahamas!

Fair winds ... Ron

Jun 2, 2004
What a great day, an update from Phillipe and Robert and my boat arrives in Ohio from Florida! I remember the trip from Norfolk to the Pamlico like it was yesterday. Your pictures only enhance those memories. And of all those photos what stood out were the fiddles on your table, probably twice the size of mine. I didn't know that you could get five bodies on the starboard settee!

The difference in the number of boats is quite amazing. We were in the swamp in early October and only one boat was with us. There might have been three at the visitor center. Here's a picture of us in the first of the two swamp locks. And one of the Ladylove crew, yours truly on the left.

Attachments

Sep 10, 2009
Yeah it's amazing how many boats there are around and we are so many Canadians. We are bumping regularely into at least 20 Canadian boats frequently and we know of at least another 20 that are close by. Apparently, it's been picking up for the past 2 years, the strong Canadian dollar probably has something to with this.

The fiddles really are different ? It's strange, I would have guessed the tables were all made by the same compagny on our 37C.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments, I will keep on posting nice pictures so that you can be part of our trip and dream of the day you go down this path (for the first time or again).

Jun 2, 2004
"Up"? Fortunately I knew what that meant. Really enjoyed your romp across the Pamlico. And the pictures in Oriental like the ice cream shop across the street from the end of your dock. And those consignment store bargains, wow! Also really enjoyed the videos. Since last we met here Ladylove has come home and I was able to spend two short days winterizing and covering her. So I followed you out the Beaufort inlet and now await the stories to Florida.

Jun 2, 2004
So you had to go to the Bahamas to get sick? And can we assume it wasn't Dad? Hopefully all is well and that you are back aboard and the weather is warm. Looking forward to the tale with some pictures.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37C McCormick, SC
Glad to hear all is well. I began to worry since the updates stopped. Your journeys have been uplifting my spirits because I plan to do the same trip next fall. (Side note "Ed" I can pick you up along the way if you want since I will be going right past you.) My family thinks I'm nuts, so your blog is inspiring. Hopefully you can pick-up were you left off, so there will be no time gaps. Enjoy! TC

Jun 2, 2004
TC, be sure to stop in Huron on your way. Or if you will make a stop in the islands then be sure to let us know when. As you probably know Ladylove has made the trip south once. Only to Tampa though, we didn't have time so turned right at Key Largo.

Sep 10, 2009
Haha, actually' I got a bad cold in Titusville, just before getting back home for a weekend. Happily, on of our friend knew a med in that area, and I got to see him right away and he didn't charge me a thing for the consultation. To be honest, my dad had more problem with sea sickness then I had since we left...

Status
Not open for further replies.